Olivier Bernard

Jordan

seedorf77 olivier bernard

On me way back to newcastle now !!! Switching from the heat of france to the cold of the north east

31 Oct

@Finn_Shillitto yes I did watch it mate ...!!! Really feel we r getting stronger as team an individual too...! @nufcfans

Some of his recent tweets. Quality fella :thup:

Spoke about Newcastle as 'we' a lot, which is good to know. Fair bit of a geordie twang to his accent now.

He absolutely loves the Toon if his Twitter is owt to go by like.

Not enough when it was contract negotiation time... ;)

He must have been shot to pieces when he went coz he did f"ck all after he left us. Liked him when he was with us (first time round) and still reckon he's an alright lad...

There was an article a while ago when he said he lost too much body mass too soon and he was never right after that.

seedorf77 olivier bernard

On me way back to newcastle now !!! Switching from the heat of france to the cold of the north east

31 Oct

@Finn_Shillitto yes I did watch it mate ...!!! Really feel we r getting stronger as team an individual too...! @nufcfans

Some of his recent tweets. Quality fella :thup:

'On me way back' :D proper Geordie.

Does he have a role at the club? He really should be some sort of liaison officer or something for the foreign players. How long was he up here in total but come back and stuck around? He would be the perfect 'salesman' for selling the city to foreign players.

Does he have a role at the club? He really should be some sort of liaison officer or something for the foreign players. How long was he up here in total but come back and stuck around? He would be the perfect 'salesman' for selling the city to foreign players.

:thup: Would be a great person to have involved as a face of the club.

he used to be the translator for Cheik Tiote according to the Chronicle.....but I guess that's about the extent of his involvement with the club so far.

• 2 years later...

just noticed it on the BBC main page and didn`t see it posted elsewhere here so....

Olivier Bernard: Ex-Newcastle defender buys Durham City FC

BBC Sport

Former Newcastle United defender Olivier Bernard buys non-league Durham City, who play in English football's ninth tier.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25453550

During his playing career, the Frenchman reached the last 16 of the Champions League with the Magpies, playing in Milan's San Siro, Barcelona's Nou Camp and even in Turin's Stadio delle Alpi, the site of England's most glorious of failures.

Now, he will watch his Durham side at New Ferens Park - a ground with a few hundred seats and an artificial pitch.

"For the level the club is playing at, this is a fantastic stadium," he said. "In five to seven years I want Durham to be in the Conference Premier."

Currently, the Citizens play in Northern League Division One - the ninth tier of English football.

"I want to make Durham one of the best feeder clubs in this region," he explained.

"At the moment, I don't think the area develops enough players. I want the three big teams to see this as a place to send their youngsters.

"I'll do everything I can to get around, bring players to Durham, and help develop them in an environment they'll enjoy - that is the key."

Injury curtailed the Paris-born left-back's career in 2007, shortly after he had returned to St James' Park in the hope of adding to his 145 Newcastle appearances. He didn't play again.

Since then, he has worked as an ambassador for anti-racism group Kick It Out.

"Often it's an awkward topic for people to speak about, so by going into schools, and giving public talks it helps break that down," said Bernard.

"Then a few months ago, I got introduced to people at Durham City and the idea was put to me about potentially buying it.

"I saw the facilities and looked at the size of the catchment area. This is a big place, not a little town. Durham should have a much bigger football club."

Having started his career at Olympique Lyonnais, Bernard was signed by then-Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson in 2000.

How big is Durham?

The City of Durham has a population just short of 100,000 people, while the county of the same name has nearly 400,000 inhabitants.

It is one of just four British counties, along with Cornwall, Northumberland and Rutland, without a professional football club.

After leaving five years later and then having short spells with Southampton and Rangers, he returned to his adopted homeland.

"I had a wonderful career at Newcastle and when I retired I could have gone back to France and I didn't want to," he said.

"The people up here are so warm, a lot more than in Paris. People have so much time for you - I see this as a way to give back to that community that has treated me so well.

"Primarily, I want to raise the profile of Durham City to make it a successful grass-roots development project. And I will do it, I know I will."

• 8 months later...

Heard that interview on talksport and was completely flabbergasted. I really thought olivier was on the pulsw when it came to newcastle and the fans but thats evidently not the case.

From what I remember he churned out the "hands are tied by Ashley" bollocks then went on to say that pardew should only be judged when he has his first team available and that de jong was meant to be the ahining light in the team and its unfair to judge till he'a fit.

I like the look of de jong but its alarming that hes basically saying newcastle are dependant on one player again, Mental