Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

He's one of those like Earnshaw. You might think he'll do a job when the Premier League season comes around but you soon realise he's not up to it, he moves to the next promotion chaser and the cycle continues. 

Now that we're virtually assured of safety I'd like to think we're looking to players to move us on a step next season and Routledge (for all the good he did last year) isn't going to do that.

There's a top player in there somewhere but he's never produced it at the top level so I'm not entirely against this move PROVIDED we bring a body in.

Good move for all concerned. Has been found out at this level, almost as bad as Jonas in his end product but with far less contribution in the middle third. IIRC I think it was brummie a few months into the second half of last season who was saying that Routledge would be like this, back when we were wondering how we had aquired what looked to be a quality pacey winger for peanuts - that prediction has turned out to be spot on.

I think he's underrated. Seems to have some sort of mental block when it comes to crossing in the PL, but something I think would come with games and confidence.

He's certainly worth keeping as a squad player. He hasn't exactly been given a chance in the PL, he played well at the start of the season and was the best player on the pitch against Chelsea.

I think he's underrated. Seems to have some sort of mental block when it comes to crossing in the PL, but something I think would come with games and confidence.

He's certainly worth keeping as a squad player. He hasn't exactly been given a chance in the PL, he played well at the start of the season and was the best player on the pitch against Chelsea.

Aye, wouldn't be too keen on this. We're lacking in depth on the wing as it is and unless we're planning on bringing a winger in, this is going to leave us pretty thin.

Plus, Routledge is a decent player to bring on in the final 20 mins of a game against a tired fullback.

Aye, wouldn't be too keen on this. We're lacking in depth on the wing as it is and unless we're planning on bringing a winger in, this is going to leave us pretty thin.

Plus, Routledge is a decent player to bring on in the final 20 mins of a game against a tired fullback.

Totally agree, it's far too soon to write him off.

Now that we're virtually assured of safety I'd like to think we're looking to players to move us on a step next season and Routledge (for all the good he did last year) isn't going to do that.

There's a top player in there somewhere but he's never produced it at the top level so I'm not entirely against this move PROVIDED we bring a body in.

We are 7 points ahead of relegation, take it easy, it can turn fast

On the same number of points after 22 games as we were after 29 games last time out (with the table looking pretty similar to last time as well).  Plus a lot of the teams below us get well under a point per game on average.  I'd say virtually assured of safety is pretty apt.

:thup:

He did incredibly well to relieve the pressure against Wigan.

It's a shame but he seems to thrive on knowing he's better than everyone else but when he thinks he might not be, his bottle goes. Unfortunately it leaves us looking very one paced and pace is always a dangerous weapon off the bench.

He's 24-25 and this has happened at more than one club though.

So he's not the best winger in the world, noone is asking him to be.

But if people want Jonas in the side, then I don't see why Routledge shouldn't be at least in the squad. It's not like he's bad (he was very much a part of the side that had success early in the season)

Strange one tbh considering Barton is first choice, i would have thought that Routledge is about the best back-up we could hope for.

Its not really he isnt good enough for the prem, whether starting or coming off the bench.