Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

Eh? He can take a set-piece, thread a pass and has scored some pretty decent goals for us. f***ing hell I'm sounding like his agent here.

I accept he's average at best in terms of PL standards, but I think "bland" is pretty harsh. He's a good footballer.

He's scored once from open play (the other was a penalty) in about 65 PL games.

Eh? He can take a set-piece, thread a pass and has scored some pretty decent goals for us. f***ing hell I'm sounding like his agent here.

I accept he's average at best in terms of PL standards, but I think "bland" is pretty harsh. He's a good footballer.

He's scored once from open play (the other was a penalty) in about 50 PL games.

What's that in relation to there, Wrongaldo? If it's the "decent goals" bit, do ones he scored in the level below not count?

Joey Barton's scored how many from open play for us in the PL? (Using him here as he's generally accepted as a "good" player and he's fairly similar to Guthrie.)

I can toss barely-related statistical nonsense around too.

65 games is closer to the mark. We're a PL team now, Guthrie should be judged by those standards.

Routledge's stats are poor too, but at least he can impact games and push the opposition back a bit. If we'd had Routledge to bring on against Sunderland, Spurs and WBA, we'd have another 6 points in the bag. Guthrie doesn't offer that option. He'll simply jog around for a bit, play some basic passes and occasionally hide when the going gets tough.

You had me intrigued: it's 38 games in the PL for Guthrie with us. 32 starts.

Barton's played 64 games with 58 starts at the same level. 2 goals from open play? 3? Can't remember what his first goal was for us, but he's definitely only got 2 since - Villa/Liverpool at home this season.

So aye, the original post had little real relevance to anything in terms of judging his quality as a footballer - given most people (including yourself I'll assume) think Barton is pretty decent at this level and given they're pretty similar players.

You don't rate Guthrie though, fair enough, I can accept that. Could just maybe seek to improve the way you evaluate things in future :thup:

Barton has more than twice the amount of assists this season than Guthrie has in his entire PL career (roughly 65 games, btw).

There's no comparison between the two. Barton's a PL playmaker, Guthrie's a PL nothing.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Eh? He can take a set-piece, thread a pass and has scored some pretty decent goals for us. Fucking hell I'm sounding like his agent here.

Not in the Premier League, no. He runs around and plays some safe balls back to the defence. Offers nothing attacking and puts in the graft to defend. Acceptable to call upon first season but he's got very little to his game at this level imo.

Guest neesy111

If we want to progress then having Guthrie as a squad player is a no-no.  Need players who can come in and do a job.

Guthrie's a decent option to bring on when we're defending a lead to be fair, he slows the game down a bit and he's neat and tidy. He does have some use, he's just not a remotely interesting player in any way, shape or form.

Don't know. I still have images of that moment at WBA.

Guest neesy111

Guthrie's a decent option to bring on when we're defending a lead to be fair, he slows the game down a bit and he's neat and tidy. He does have some use, he's just not a remotely interesting player in any way, shape or form.

That is one of the most embarassing things I've seen from an NUFC player on the pitch.

That is one of the most embarassing things I've seen from an NUFC player on the pitch.

A low point indeed

I was one to (rightly) slate him in the season just gone, but i'd be happy enough having him in the squad next season.

Even though he walks round the pitch with his pigeon chest out like he owns the world, he in fact suffers from confidence issues; Pardew has no confidence in him at this level, it would be pointless now keeping him.

http://www.blogonthetyne.co.uk/2011/06/rout-of-order-1.html

Rout of order

By Lee Ryder on Jun 24, 11 08:27 AM

Newcastle United will have an extra body on their hands come July 4 when Wayne Routledge regroups with his Toon team-mates after a six month stint on loan at Queens Park Rangers.

For Routledge, it represents yet another new dawn after QPR pulled the plug on a permanent transfer to Loftus Road.

Once again Routledge finds himself at a crossroads in a career that has had its fair share of thrills and spills.

But once again from United's point of view and for Alan Pardew, he has the frustrating task of having a player on his hands blessed with ability who somehow can't turn it on when it matters at the top level.

Routledge made a sparkling start to his career at Newcastle in the Championship and spoke highly of United and how Chris Hughton had handed him a wonderful chance to rebuild his career.

Stints at Fulham, Tottenham, Pompey and Aston Villa failed to bring the best out of Routledge in the Premier League - and sadly so far he can add Newcastle to that list from a top flight viewpoint.

Once tipped for full England honours, Routledge has a unique ability to hit the byline and put in delicious crosses for his forward line.

Yet so far in his career, he's only been able to deliver in the Premier League.

One thing is for sure, if United were willing to offload him to QPR for £1.5million a matter of weeks ago, Newcastle will be prepared to listen to offers again.

If they don't come though, Pardew must try to bring out the best in a player he didn't deem good enough back in January.

Back then Routledge's poor show in the FA Cup against Stevenage resulted in more than just an early end to Wembley hopes for the Londoner.

Yet six months on, he will report back at the club's Benton base for action and could even be in the squad for the trip to Darlington three weeks tonight.

We all love a comeback...don't we?

:doh: :laugh: