Leicester City 0-0 Newcastle United - 30/01/10 - Post match reaction from p25

Nate

Thought Van Aaaaaaahhh or whatever he's called looked your best player by a country mile.

Looked decent going forward. Its hard to really enthuse about him, knowing he's only here as a short term stopgap.

Nothing to say we won't try and sign him in the future though. Not quite sure whether he will be part of their plans either.

Having him and Jose in the squad would please me no end. Having said that its only 1 game.

How is Carroll a professional footballer btw? Any other club would have sold him to Stevenage.

Yeah an english u21 forward who cleared all there corners its the midfield people should be blaming not carroll

The system is build around him and he continues to be shite. Does nowt but give away free-kicks.

I dont think he should be playing up front on his own tbh but i think carroll and lovenkrands could turn out to be a quality pairing up front together

Ryan Taylor was horrendous in the first half but when we pushed up the pitch he started getting a few crosses in at least. Hughton basically handed Leicester a point with his team selection today. All the sending off did was level the playing field as we were both playing with 10 men. Nolan is usually a passenger against any half decent defence, we improved 100% when he finally got hauled off.

Just back.  Thought we were very poor in first half and decent in second.  Butt was appalling in the first and one of our best in the second. Carroll was useless as was Ranger when he came on.  Willamson looked very dodgey, we were very easily run at.  Routledge's delivery was often poor but he looked most likely to make things happen. RTaylor was very poor defensively, but by far the best player for crossing.

Couldn't understand why Leicester fans were going on about having 10 men.  They drew 0-0. At home.  And I thought they wanted to get promoted?

Not and awful performance, we didn't because of Hughton, he bottled it big time. Relentless Notts Forest finally drop points, your playing a side low on confidence after four consecutive defeats, so he sets up with two defensive midfielders, one natural winger and one striker. We had no pace to get in behind, it was very rare to see a player take someone on and we looked clueless at times.

Spot On!

Too worried to drop players over picking positions

I don't see any evidence to support the view that Hughton is 'scared of dropping players' really.

He has left Butt out more than a lot of other managers, and it would be difficult to make a case for Nolan's droppage when he was scoring goals.

The thing is, our results and league position demand that the team should be kept the same, while our performances demand that it should be changed. As an inexperienced manager, who might not have a lot of confidence, I can understand why Hughton is only making cautious changes.

I would rather he was more drastic, but it's not likely to happen.

Just had a sudden brainwave whilst slightly stoned so its probably been well documented already.

But we all have issues with our line up and players in certain positions. So, for home games much more than away, doesn't this solve so many problems and kind of seem sensible for our starting 11?

Back 5 as is....

Guthrie Smith Nolan

Lovenkrands                Gutierrez

Ameobi

I know I dont like Ameobi but Carroll couldn't play that role, and the signing of Routledge and hopefully Moses will change this, but surely we should have played this at home for the past few months? A lá Chelsea when they had Robben, Drogba and Duff.

I don't see any evidence to support the view that Hughton is 'scared of dropping players' really.

He has left Butt out more than a lot of other managers, and it would be difficult to make a case for Nolan's droppage when he was scoring goals.

The thing is, our results and league position demand that the team should be kept the same, while our performances demand that it should be changed. As an inexperienced manager, who might not have a lot of confidence, I can understand why Hughton is only making cautious changes.

The art of being a manager is to pick the best 11 to do a job on the day, not pick players on reputation or past performances. In many respects I like Chris Hughton, but in this regard he's failed badly IMO. In no way have Smith, Butt or Nolan shown that they are best played together so in reality it's reputation he's picking them on.

Good point

The art of being a manager is to pick the best 11 to do a job on the day, not pick players on reputation or past performances. In many respects I like Chris Hughton, but in this regard he's failed badly IMO. In no way have Smith, Butt or Nolan shown that they are best played together so in reality it's reputation he's picking them on.

I agree with you really, I just mean that there are also reasons why he might believe it's best to keep the team the same beyond just being 'scared to drop players'.

Also, the lack of alternatives is a major issue... he can't leave out all of our midfielders. Now that we have a couple of good wingers I hope he's brave and decides to go without Butt and Nolan. When Barton's back even more so. He didn't do that today obviously, but it's early days with the new players and we had a couple of important injuries.

I think he might actually realise this though, fingers crossed he'll get round to making the changes soon.

It was fucking hilarious that even after they had a man sent off they were cutting through our midfield with ease. Fucking Butt should be put in the reserves, absolutely useless wanker. Smith's not much better and Nolan's fucking wank too. Carroll is pile of steaming shite and Hughton's tactics were god awful. Ryan Taylor is also shit.

I didn't know the Derby-Forest result today but by the way we played I knew Forest would have dropped points, we were playing not to get beat and to continue that way after they went down to ten is seriously worrying. Hughton needs to pull his finger out and man the fuck up or we're in serious danger of getting found out.

Guest firetotheworks

fwiw I thought Taylor was much more a culprit of the way we played. Fair enough if his only options into midfield are Smith and Butt, but he has Routledge in front of him and never once used him effectively. Ironically Van Aaaaaaah had a player that wasnt playing in his natural position, who also played poorly in front of him, and yet had a decent match. If Routledge had have moved to LW earlier we might have had a better chance.

I didn't know the Derby-Forest result today but by the way we played I knew Forest would have dropped points, we were playing not to get beat and to continue that way after they went down to ten is seriously worrying. Hughton needs to pull his finger out and man the f*** up or we're in serious danger of getting found out.

Forrest win, lose or draw and we'd have played exactly the same. It's becuase we're shit.

It was fucking hilarious that even after they had a man sent off they were cutting through our midfield with ease. Fucking Butt should be put in the reserves, absolutely useless wanker. Smith's not much better and Nolan's fucking wank too. Carroll is pile of steaming shite and Hughton's tactics were god awful. Ryan Taylor is also shit.

I didn't know the Derby-Forest result today but by the way we played I knew Forest would have dropped points, we were playing not to get beat and to continue that way after they went down to ten is seriously worrying. Hughton needs to pull his finger out and man the fuck up or we're in serious danger of getting found out.

I think you've been found out a long time ago. Teams are too shit in the Championship, more often than not, to take advantage of it.

I think you've been found out a long time ago. Teams are too shit in the Championship, more often than not, to take advantage of it.

Quite possibly, I still feel the opposition show us more respect than we deserve though. Leicester today for example could have quite easily beaten us with 10 let alone 11, I think if someone comes out and really has a go we would crumble. A combination of having a calamitous central midfield and negative tactics leave us there for the taking but as you say not many have had the quality to punish. We've been lucky as fuck this season as well imo, concerning injuries and situations in matches, and that is beginning to run out too.

Quite possibly, I still feel the opposition show us more respect than we deserve though. Leicester today for example could have quite easily beaten us with 10 let alone 11, I think if someone comes out and really has a go we would crumble. A combination of having a calamitous central midfield and negative tactics leave us there for the taking but as you say not many have had the quality to punish. We've been lucky as fuck this season as well imo, concerning injuries and situations in matches, and that is beginning to run out too.

Agree with all of that. From what I've seen, you have shown elements of Premiership quality but it is debatable how much that has been down to the opposition's lack of invention. Injuries-wise it will be interesting to see how you cope now that some key players are on the sidelines for a little while, i.e. Taylor and Enrique. Credit to whoever it was who actually pulled their finger out and brought some people in, for numbers sake if nothing else.

I think ultimately you will get across the line but probably more of a stumble. It will be interesting to see if Forest can come back after their defeat today and put together a few wins. WBA have a tough game at Blackpool midweek. Regardless of whether it is other teams failing to put together the necessary form, or you having too much in the tank (and let's not let the criticism get out of hand, there are many things to be pleased with thus far this season, I'd say), you will be playing Premiership football next season.

It's funny when I think of your prospective chances next year - on one hand I look at some of the teams currently in the division and think you would surely finish above 3 of them... but on the other, it is a similar squad to last year, arguably worse in terms of quality. My hope for you is that, considering there is no imminently likely sign of considerable investment in the summer, you can rely on an increasing sense of team spirit, togetherness etc in order to see you through next season, thus giving youthe chance to put back together what was a broken club into the Newcastle of 5-10 years ago. Piece by piece.

I've probably talked some bollocks there, but that's my 2p worth.

how much that has been down to the opposition's lack of invention

It's not been down to the lack of invention, but rather lack of conversion on thier part.  Most of the matches I've seen this year we have given a lot of chances away in the centre of goal that weren't converted but we've put the similar chances in the back of the net.

how much that has been down to the opposition's lack of invention

It's not been down to the lack of invention, but rather lack of conversion on thier part.  Most of the matches I've seen this year we have given a lot of chances away in the centre of goal that weren't converted but we've put the similar chances in the back of the net.

Wrong choice of word, I was geting at the general lack of quality, whether that be invention or conversion. Lack of clinicality (wish that was a word) in front of goal from most.