Leicester City 0-0 Newcastle United - 30/01/10 - Post match reaction from p25

Nate

Poor performance. I wouldn't have complained if Leicester had won the game.

I knew Hughton wouldn't change the system despite Leicester been down to 10 men; It's not good enough. Hughton and Pearson had a decision to make after that decision, and Hughton's was significantly easier. It was ironic because it was infact Pearson that took the brave choice and Hughton that took the defensive one.

I don't understand why he persists with Nolan in central midfield. Kevin Nolan has one good attribute, and that' the attribute to finish; So why not give him the chance to use that?

Nile Ranger should also be starting in front of Carroll.

The signings were the only positive from this game. 2 points dropped.

It really was total shite today. Hughton is to blame for this negative bollocks in the way he sets up the team. We should be going out to attack teams like this, not go out negative from the start. Its not even playing it safe. Who gives a fuck if we're unbeaten if 14 or whatever, thats 3 away draws in a row. We might as well have won 1 and lost 2. Utter bollocks, from Hughton!

I just watched this match but didn't know what the bench looked like.  The entire time I was thinking to myself "Jonas and Lovenkrands must be injured 'cause this game is crying out for them" but lo and behold - they sat on the bench the entire time.  What a fucking waste.  Why the hell are Butt Smith and Nolan playing in the same midfield at the same time, absolutely mind boggling.  We really needed to win this match and the starting eleven and the subs were garbage.

Harper 6 - Not much to do outside of the save from Fryatt.

Taylor 6 - Fairly good game I thought, solid defensively, offered more going forward towards the end.

Coloccini 6 - Solid. Quiet game.

Williamson 7 - Fryatt skinned him once but that was his only bad moment. Calm and in control for the rest.

Van Aanholt 8 - Was criticising him early, then he went and played f***ing awesome for the rest of it. Man of the Match for us.

Routledge 6 - Love how fast he is, caused them problems late on. Will be key when we're more positive at home.

Smith 4 - Poor, meant to be our organiser. Did nothing apart from that chance.

Butt 4 - Very poor, shouldn't start.

Guthrie 5 - Worst game for us in a while, poor delivery, looked asleep half the time.

Nolan 5 - Carried for most of it. Keeper did enough to stop him burying that header.

Carroll 6 - Won everything, still poor in front of goal for me.

Subs

Ranger 7 - Needs to be given a chance, with Lovenkrands up top, made us look 10x better.

Pancrate 6 - People slag him off but he ran at people and looked dangerous and it was a good move by Hughton to bring him on.

We were poor for most of the first half, but had we been more clinical in front of goal we would have won it late. Fair play to them they probably deserved a point. We really need to sign moses and give Ranger a chance. Barton coming back may make a difference as well hopefully.

Agree with most of this, a tad generous for Taylor but Ranger and surprisingly Pancrate did make us look alot better and possibly could have done more given longer.

Butt, Smith and Nolan in midfield at the same time and Guthrie left wing  :facepalm:  What the hell was CH thinking?  Terrible choice.

We desperatly need legs in CM, for starters play Guthrie there Chris. We desperately need a high energy, high quality center midfielder.

I'd like to see something like:

Harper

Simpson Collo  Williamson  Van Aanholt

Routledge   Guthrie   ????    Jonas

Moses/Ranger  Carroll/Ameobi   

Guest ItalianMagpie

Does Hughton know that we need to win some more away games too to get promoted? Or he thinks we can struggle at home and draw away until the end of the season?

As usual, poor display yesterday, we just don't know what to do and throw long balls to Carroll hoping something happens. Butt is too old even for the club's board, Smith is pointless, and if we wait for quality play from Guthrie :rolleyes:

Leicester are having a good season, but they're still a newly promoted team, and were 10-man for one hour: isn't this enough to change a bit our clueless long-ball play?

Every person on here will have known when we saw the starting lineup that we would lose this game. Smith, Butt and Nolan together made our collective hearts sink before kick off.

Getting a point was a bonus in the end, so certain were we to lose with those 3 together in the middle of the park.

This is professional football where fitness and athletisism is not optional but an essential prerequisite.

Hughton, you cannot do this again, it will not work, learn from it!

I just watched this match but didn't know what the bench looked like.  The entire time I was thinking to myself "Jonas and Lovenkrands must be injured 'cause this game is crying out for them" but lo and behold - they sat on the bench the entire time.  What a fucking waste.  Why the hell are Butt Smith and Nolan playing in the same midfield at the same time, absolutely mind boggling.  We really needed to win this match and the starting eleven and the subs were garbage.

Jonas and Lovenkrands picked up 'knocks' against Crystal Palace. I don't believe they were fit. It's the only sane explanation for them not coming off the bench. That being the case, they shouldn't have been on the bench.

poor result against a team we should of beaten, just goes to show Hughton and his sidekick have no nounce and are full of indecision, frightened to allow the team to pile on pressure the minute they went down to ten.Butt was class at doing nowt, Taylor sh*te, midfield,give up. Caroll is a tosser don't care what people say about his head but obviously it's empty.

I thought Ryan Taylor was shit, but the number of times he, and the rest of the defence had no option but to hoof it long was unbelievable. None of the midfield were making themselves open for the ball. There wasnt really anywhere else for the ball to go but long to Carroll, purely because of the way the team was set up.

I thought Ryan Taylor was s***, but the number of times he, and the rest of the defence had no option but to hoof it long was unbelievable. None of the midfield were making themselves open for the ball. There wasnt really anywhere else for the ball to go but long to Carroll, purely because of the way the team was set up.

Not only that, but even when the midfield players did have the ball, there were several instances when other players were open with acres of space, but instead of passing, our man would just punt the ball aimlessly into the box. Aggravating as fuck!!

Nolan, Smith, Butt are all very very slow on the ball also. Not just off it. It takes them a couple seconds to get it out of their feet let alone decide where its going. Let alone actually hit it with the desired amount of pace to make it a decent pass, even when its simple. They dont think quickly enough, so get jumbled up. Thats likely the reason for the poor passes, when they have a half hour to play it theyre ok.

So Leicester just pressurized us, even with 10 men & just closed them off or tackled them instantly. Then they get so used to trying to play it quickly, the few chances when they have time & several good options near the area they just chip it in yet again. Its all just very slow, both physically & mentally.

Jonas and Lovenkrands picked up 'knocks' against Crystal Palace. I don't believe they were fit. It's the only sane explanation for them not coming off the bench. That being the case, they shouldn't have been on the bench.

Jonas travelled but was still feeling the effects of the knock on Wednesday. Personally I would have started with Ranger up front in a 4-4-2 - Butt shouldn't be anywhere near the team but Hughton keeps picking him, paticularly away from home. I mentioned that this was likely in the pre-match thread and the only thing I can think of is that Butt has some compromising picture of Hughton (possibly with Bridge's ex as that seems the current trend). Certainly at half-time, bearing in mind we had the extra man, Butt should have been subbed-off to go 4-4-2.  Why did Hughton wait until the hour mark, and even then it was Smith who he subbed? An injury to Smith maybe?

Another gripe of mind towards Hughton, is that at the start of the season Smith was sitting on the toes of Coloccini and Taylor, and teams couldn't get to the back four. We looked so comfortable. Now Smith is playing higher up the park and teams are just passing it around him, Nolan and Butt. Why did we change it??  :dave:

Guest jeffers09

Have to say i wasnt too impressed with the atmosphere yesterday but i can understand with that performance

There support wasnt to bad (trainers off)

All the new lads impressed me

were was jonars by the way was shocked he didnt bring him on...

Guest Rey Mysterio

Horrific performance. There is definitely a non-footballing reason Butt gets picked, i would love to know what it is. Probably Ryan Taylors worst game for us. Carroll shite. Hughton's tactics and subs woeful. Need to imporve 100% to beat Cardiff.

Nolan, Smith, Butt are all very very slow on the ball also. Not just off it. It takes them a couple seconds to get it out of their feet let alone decide where its going. Let alone actually hit it with the desired amount of pace to make it a decent pass, even when its simple. They dont think quickly enough, so get jumbled up. Thats likely the reason for the poor passes, when they have a half hour to play it theyre ok.

So Leicester just pressurized us, even with 10 men & just closed them off or tackled them instantly. Then they get so used to trying to play it quickly, the few chances when they have time & several good options near the area they just chip it in yet again. Its all just very slow, both physically & mentally.

That was definitely the case yesterday, we were half a yard slower in everything. Even Harper takes too long to throw the ball out and hit the opposition while they are all still out of position. It's like we need as much rest as possible to get our breath back.

Guest neesy111

hughton wants not to lose, that is still 1 win in 5 again, unbeaten in 14 my arse we've drew so many recently

playing 451 against 10 men for over 35 mins is criminal, i would of made 433 at the same time

i hate this thing manager's do about worrying about the opposition more than their own team, fucking concentrate on your own team 100% it's what your paid to do

hughton wants not to lose, that is still 1 win in 5 again, unbeaten in 14 my arse we've drew so many recently

playing 451 against 10 men for over 35 mins is criminal, i would of made 433 at the same time

i hate this thing manager's do about worrying about the opposition more than their own team, f***ing concentrate on your own team 100% it's what your paid to do

to cut hughton a tiny bit of slack, he has little option given his choices in central midfield. yes we needed a right sided midfielder but our need for a central midfielder is as pressing.