Twitter

Thespence

Imagine having Alan Smith as your favourite footballer? f***ing hell, I actually feel suicidal at the thought. :kinnear:

:lol:

Anybody who's favourite player is Alan Smith doesn't know anything about football and frankly doesn't deserve to follow this sport.

The only people excused here are Alan Smith, and his mother.

Even she's borderline tbh.

Anyone addressing people as "tweeps" on Twitter should be kicked to the kerb like a filthy dog, then stoned to death.

For celebrities or the like who have an army of followers that's okay, but it sounds really weird when regular folk do it.

Imagine having Alan Smith as your favourite footballer? f***ing hell, I actually feel suicidal at the thought. :kinnear:

:lol:

Anybody who's favourite player is Alan Smith doesn't know anything about football and frankly doesn't deserve to follow this sport.

The only people excused here are Alan Smith, and his mother.

mike ashley proves this point

Mark Bright is getting a bit of a hammering on Twitter from Bolton fans over his comments in the article about Tamir Cohen and the dedication to his dead father on his shirt. His replies to the comments though are just inane, most of them are random jibes about losing to Stoke in the SF.

Grade A f*ckwit, that one, surprised he's not working for Talksport.

I’m not an insensitive person, I don’t lack respect and have every sympathy for Bolton’s Tamir Cohen.

However, when he scored the winner against Arsenal and removed his shirt to reveal a picture of his late father, ex-Liverpool defender Avi Cohen, it got me thinking about just how many players are getting messages across on their vests.

While Cohen’s was touching, poignant and entirely understandable, over the last few years footballers have shown a growing desire to express messages or slogans on an under-shirt for the world to see.

Fifa banned the removal of shirts because it’s offensive in some parts of the world to be seen with a naked torso.

Years ago, Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler removed his shirt to reveal his support for the striking Liverpool dockers.

My old team-mate Ian Wright revealed he had broken Cliff Bastin’s Arsenal scoring record on a vest with the Nike-inspired slogan ‘Just Done It’.

Great marketing, some would say. At the weekend, Tottenham striker Jemain Defoe scored his 100th Premier League goal, a perfect time for him to reveal a slogan-printed T-shirt, but he had forgotten to put it on, having worn it for the last few games in anticipation of getting that goal.

I just wonder whether there comes a point when perhaps this trend has gone a little too far.

Where does it stop? A player will be saying ‘I got divorced’, ‘I’ve had a baby’, ‘I love my car’... or how long before a player reveals a JustGiving page on his shirt for us to donate to?

On top of all this, there seem to be more one-minute silences now then ever.

The death of a former player is usually marked with armbands but that now seems to be extended to any global tragedy.

We all feel for those caught up in such events, and want to do our bit to help, but does this constantly need to be acknowledged at matches?

We can go to a memorial service if we want to pay our respects.

Let’s use the football field for what it’s intended – to entertain.

MarkBrighty

@perfan morning jo, you got rinsed babe, that's the worst performance I have ever seen in a semi final of the FA Cup. Choked...

perfan

@MarkBrighty a tribute to a father who'd passed away.

MarkBrighty

@perfan just a view. Hey I'm sure you'll get another chance at the semi's next year

---------------------------------------

DanDonkIt

@MarkBrighty it's a fair point u make about messages on vests however it is a little insensitive to release your comments after cohen

MarkBrighty

@DanDonkIt I think its appropriate, 4 months ago, why the need?

---------------------------------------

hisroyalginger

@markbrighty nice comments re Cohen, prized tool. You could put what you want across your chest, it'd still be utter garbage, sir

MarkBrighty

@hisroyalginger u still sore at the Potters battering u at wembley 5-0. hey ho

:dowie: :facepalm:

:duff:

Guest Roger Kint

It's over twitter that two of the injunctions are Shearer and Gabby Logan for having an affair with each other :lol:

Somehow the standard response is very fitting. Giggs has scored!

I’m not an insensitive person, I don’t lack respect and have every sympathy for Bolton’s Tamir Cohen.

However, when he scored the winner against Arsenal and removed his shirt to reveal a picture of his late father, ex-Liverpool defender Avi Cohen, it got me thinking about just how many players are getting messages across on their vests.

While Cohen’s was touching, poignant and entirely understandable, over the last few years footballers have shown a growing desire to express messages or slogans on an under-shirt for the world to see.

Fifa banned the removal of shirts because it’s offensive in some parts of the world to be seen with a naked torso.

Years ago, Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler removed his shirt to reveal his support for the striking Liverpool dockers.

My old team-mate Ian Wright revealed he had broken Cliff Bastin’s Arsenal scoring record on a vest with the Nike-inspired slogan ‘Just Done It’.

Great marketing, some would say. At the weekend, Tottenham striker Jemain Defoe scored his 100th Premier League goal, a perfect time for him to reveal a slogan-printed T-shirt, but he had forgotten to put it on, having worn it for the last few games in anticipation of getting that goal.

I just wonder whether there comes a point when perhaps this trend has gone a little too far.

Where does it stop? A player will be saying ‘I got divorced’, ‘I’ve had a baby’, ‘I love my car’... or how long before a player reveals a JustGiving page on his shirt for us to donate to?

The death of a former player is usually marked with armbands but that now seems to be extended to any global tragedy.

We all feel for those caught up in such events, and want to do our bit to help, but does this constantly need to be acknowledged at matches?

Agree with all of that tbh.

Don't think there's too much wrong with his comments tbh.  Although, I do think he's making too much out of it.

Perhaps he's happier seeing footballers perform their truly awful, daft and cringe worthy celebrations that they frequently do nowadays. :rolleyes:

Twitter rumour Joey agreed new deal....

I thought he had agreed his deal just was not going to sign it yet.

Isn't that one of Horseshit Warr's tweets?

Someone else, was at Newcastle races today and reckons Barton and McKay were there.

Agree with all of that tbh.

I don't realy see the similarities of dedicating a goal to your dead father and dedicating a goal to your new car mind :lol: