Twitter

Thespence

I think he'll find he'd rather have a bunch of journos after him than the kind of obsessive otakus who dedicate their lives to destroying anyone who tries to rein in internet freedoms.  

I think he'll find he'd rather have a bunch of journos after him than the kind of obsessive otakus who dedicate their lives to destroying anyone who tries to rein in internet freedoms. 

He/they're not interested in internet freedoms man, they're interested in creating as much legal wrangling as possible in order to keep it out of the public eye and out of the reach of journalists until at least next Sunday so the club/players/fans can focus on what they need to be focusing on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/23/wayne-rooney-form-suffers-media-glare

"He cannot move without the paparazzi on him"

"The siege of the tabloids can wear anyone out"

This whole saga has got Alex Ferguson written all over it. A billion Twitter users aren't as powerful as one headline on the front of the NOTW, even though they would like to think they are.

I think that's just an extension of the mythical image Alex has created whereby when he does something stupid its put down to actually being clever mind games. The attempt at legal action against Twitter is a sign of arrogant naivety, not cunning, and I hope it bites the horrible twat on his arse.

I think that's just an extension of the mythical image Alex has created whereby when he does something stupid its put down to actually being clever mind games. The attempt at legal action against Twitter is a sign of arrogant naivety, not cunning, and I hope it bites the horrible twat on his arse.

I couldn't agree less. This story will hit the papers sometime around the 1st or 2nd June, when the legal team mysteriously cave in.

And how does legal action against Twitter fit into this masterplan, when its clearly only greatly increasing public pressure to remove the injunction and making it more likely to end up all over the papers before the final?

And how does legal action against Twitter fit into this masterplan, when its clearly only greatly increasing public pressure to remove the injunction and making it more likely to end up all over the papers before the final?

I don't know the ins and outs obviously but I know that legal stuff takes a lot of time and the more time wasted the better. I very much doubt public pressure will make the slightest bit of difference to the High Court.

This story originally ran in the Sun on the 14th April. That was the same week of the CL QF and the FA Cup SF. Even if his manager thought he could put the story off for a week, there's no doubt in my mind he would have tried it with the power and money of that club at his disposal.

I can't believe people seriously think this is just about protecting a footballer's identity. He will know that everybody who uses the internet already knows so his reputation is tarnished anyway but as long as it remains the elephant in the room that TV, radio, papers can't talk about, that is good news for his club. He probably hasn't even got a say in it, he'll have had a hairdryer for doing what Rooney did and jeopardising the club and had to agree to trying to soften the blow.

Surely the best thing would have been to let it all die down after the injunction "failed"? He's only giving the media more ammunition by doing this, which defeats his motives, and also keeping it firmly in the headlines when it would have been mostly forgotten by now.

Surely the best thing would have been to let it all die down after the injunction "failed"? He's only giving the media more ammunition by doing this, which defeats his motives, and also keeping it firmly in the headlines when it would have been mostly forgotten by now.

I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression that by not challenging these publications on twitter, he makes it easier for the story to become 'accepted as' common knowledge, undermining the purpose of the original injunction, and making it more likely to be retracted or successfully challenged should any bigger media source choose to flout it themselves (on the grounds that there was no secret to expose).

I remember a couple of years back hearing that an injunction was granted for some story or other and subsequently retracted partly because the scale of the public discussion surrounding the (non-super)injunction meant everyone had learned the story and it had itself become worthless and inappropriate to maintain. The courts don't exist to 'reprivatise' knowledge.

rioferdy5 Rio Ferdinand

@piersmorgan don't ruin it all by mentioning her name on my timeline please, never met her + don't know her. #fact

Rio getting all defensive :lol: We know its not you man .

or do we  :shifty:

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/limmy/dslIbvfqygDyuGlvhzzcFfosajJqEdtIFhgzpphycCBfyyEFAbuBGnqrEGEk/giggs.jpg.scaled500.jpg

:iamatwat:

Ryan Giggs yoga?  :laugh:

Guest je85

Would love it if it wasn't actually Giggs and it turns out she's been getting ruined by Chris Samba

Guest johnson293

I love the way the ITV news earlier basically confirmed who it was by stating his name would be all over twitter, even though they themselves couldn't say who it was... no use of the word 'allegedly' or anything!!  :mackems:

Guest johnson293

They actually mentioned him by name??

No, but they said "the footballer's name was being tweeted and re-tweeted by up to 2 million people on twitter, and while they and us knew who it was, they still weren't allowed to name him".

They could easily have said 'the footballer who is alleged to have had the affair'.... but didn't.

:giggs: