Jóan Símun Edmundsson

gray

UNKNOWN Newcastle new boy Joan Simun Edmundsson has been backed to make an impact on Tyneside.

Faroe Islands starlet Edmundsson is understood to be arriving on loan at St James’ Park from his local club B68 Toftir until the end of the season with a view to a permanent move.

And Faroe Islands’ national coach Brian Kerr believes the 18-year-old forward can earn a long-term stay in the North East.

“I don’t think he’s going to be in Newcastle’s first team this season, but I’d expect him to make a very good impression and maybe look to break into the side next year,” former Republic of Ireland boss Kerr told the Sunday Sun.

“He’s a biggish lad who has good ability. He can beat a man – he has a trick – and he knows how to score goals.

“He’s scored in three Under-21 international matches in the last year, including against Russia, when (Newcastle coach) Colin Calderwood was there to watch him.

“He was playing out wide in a 4-3-3 formation then, but I think he’s better playing through the middle, which is where I picked him for his full international debut against France.

“I spoke to Chris Hughton about him and we had Edmundsson and another lad – Christian Mouritsen – go on trial at Newcastle before Christmas.

“Chris liked them both, but felt that Christian, at 21, needed first-team football, which Newcastle couldn’t offer him.

“But Edmundsson has a chance. As well as his ability, he’s incredibly enthusiastic, honest and willing to learn, as the players in the Faroes and across Scandinavia tend to be.”

Although B68 are in the Faroes’ top division, Toftir is a village with a population of less than 1000, meaning Edmundsson is set for a culture shock in Newcastle.

But Kerr added: “He won’t be interested in the bright lights. He’ll be there to learn. And though he’s quite shy, he looks the part when he gets out on the pitch.

“Because it’s so isolated, people don’t tend to go and see the players in the Faroes, but there is real talent there, particularly among the young players. They are honest, determined, speak excellent English and are absolutely obsessed with football.”

It's an interesting buy, and I'd love it, love it, to come off. I imagine he'll be very keen to seize his chance.

Who knows, there may be some real footballing talent in the Faeroes. No disrespect, but there can't be too many other distractions for a young bloke, out in the middle of the Atlantic.

It's an interesting buy, and I'd love it, love it, to come off. I imagine he'll be very keen to seize his chance.

Who knows, there may be some real footballing talent in the Faeroes. No disrespect, but there can't be too many other distractions for a young bloke, out in the middle of the Atlantic.

:lol: They have everything other countries have for teenagers to waste their time on, man.

I think i've mention my housemates twice, because they've watched our top January target for 3 years and anyone with sense would want to hear that perspective. Unfortunately for every good poster on here, there's one who spends most of their time trying to look good at the expense of real football fans by posting the same old recycled rubbish.

I even got it from Blef when I tried to help her in the car thread yesterday. :lol:

It's always good to sign new kids but it's a bit disappointing Hars Vukic didn't make more progrees this season - yes I know he was injured but in the games he played before that. Considering the state of the central midfield there was a first team shirt just waiting to be claimed.

No, I think Nolan, Smith, Butt, Guthrie and Barton have control over those spaces.

• 7 months later...
Guest palnese

A mate of mine was called up to the Faroe Islands national team this week. They are playing Slovenia away, and he is sharing room with Jóhan Símun Edmundsson.

Pretty cool. :snod:

A mate of mine was called up to the Faroe Islands national team this week. They are playing Slovenia away, and he is sharing room with Jóhan Símun Edmundsson.

I wouldn't mind playing for them, would you give your mate a call and see if they'd have me?

Thanks.

Guest palnese

I wouldn't mind playing for them, would you give your mate a call and see if they'd have me?

Thanks.

Sure. My mate is playing in the Norwegian League 1, so,  if you're THAT good, I'll call him O0

Getting a malware warning entering this thread due to content linked to www.b68.fo

The content is in a post you made I think.

No it is the photo. You've just got B68 typed into your post.

Thanks.

Sure. My mate is playing in the Norwegian League 1, so,  if you're THAT good, I'll call him O0

Goalkeepers

Jákup Mikkelsen,                     ÍF Fuglafjørður

Tórður Thomsen,                     Havnar Bóltfelag

Gunnar Nielsen,                       Tranmere Rovers

Defenders

Jónas Tór Næs,                        Fótbóltsfelagið B36

Johan Troest Davidsen,            Nes Sóknar Ítróttarfelag

Egil á Bø,                                EB/Streymur

Jonhard Frederiksberg,             Nes Sóknar Ítróttarfelag

Erling Jacobsen,                       Víkingur

Hendrik Rubeksen,                   Havnar Bóltfelag

Atli Gregersen,                         Ross County