Foreign NUFCs

Ketsbaia

again i'll go with pittsburgh...this time the pirates after picking up this little snippet...they are the only team in major league history to score 10runs in the opening innings and still lose the game.

what a "typical,typical newcastle" thing to do.

again i'll go with pittsburgh...this time the pirates after picking up this little snippet...they are the only team in major league history to score 10runs in the opening innings and still lose the game.

do you follow the pittsburgh teams? if so...why?

I don't know if I'd agree with the Pirates. They actively work towards not fielding a competitive team, imo.

2 reasons....

1. lying in the bath one night as a kid (about 11) trying to find radio luxembourg on the radio (and that is not a euphemism) i found the AFRTS (armed forces radio and television service....for the US) and the game was green bay(i think)-pittsburgh , last 5 mins and pittsburgh trailing. i alway like an underdog, even though at that time without me knowing they wouldn't have been, but they came back from behing with 2 scores to win.

2. a few years later and american football is just about to start on channel 4, my uncle comes over from canada and everyone talking about canada and the states, he syas that for all pittsburgh is the steel city, like sheffield, the people are the closest north america has to geordies.

2 reasons....

1. lying in the bath one night as a kid (about 11) trying to find radio luxembourg on the radio (and that is not a euphemism) i found the AFRTS (armed forces radio and television service....for the US) and the game was green bay(i think)-pittsburgh , last 5 mins and pittsburgh trailing. i alway like an underdog, even though at that time without me knowing they wouldn't have been, but they came back from behing with 2 scores to win.

2. a few years later and american football is just about to start on channel 4, my uncle comes over from canada and everyone talking about canada and the states, he syas that for all pittsburgh is the steel city, like sheffield, the people are the closest north america has to geordies.

:thup: pittsburgh is like a more inland newcastle, was also a coal city, big ship/boat builder, is famous for its bridges, and a local beer "iron city". the people are a bit similar too, quite rowdy, like drinking, good sports following. a lot of the riverside areas of the two are very similar, old docks, factories, wasteland, steep hills with terraced housing behind them, and similar array of crossings.

look at this - pittsburgh's birmingham bridge with the hot metal bridge in the background.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2281/bridgepittsburgh.jpg

newcastle's scotswood bridge with scotswood rail bridge in the background. spookily similar.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8595/bridgescotswood.jpg

If it's bridges we're going by, then Newcastle should really be twinned with Sydney.

have you looked at those pics man.....not one but two bridges.

little known fact....the tyne bridge was copied off the sydney bridge even though it was built first.

If it's bridges we're going by, then Newcastle should really be twinned with Sydney.

little known fact....the tyne bridge was copied off the sydney bridge even though it was built first.

Was finished first, I think?

Yeah, I knew that, but I only found out recently. I'd thought the Tyne Bridge had been built as a prototype for the design.

I said that once to some Australians in Birtley services who were looking at postcards of Newcastle and saying "Hey, it's just like our bridge back home." This woman turned and looked at me rather scornfully and said: "Ours is bigger and better!"

Yeah, I knew that, but I only found out recently. I'd thought the Tyne Bridge had been built as a prototype for the design.

I said that once to some Australians in Birtley services who were looking at postcards of Newcastle and saying "Hey, it's just like our bridge back home." This woman turned and looked at me rather scornfully and said: "Ours is bigger and better!"

Another little fact, the contractors for the design and construction of the main structure for SHB was a firm from Middlesbrough...

What about Dortmund and Flamengo, both are very well supported clubs and from my knowledge haven't won a thing for a while.

Flamengo are current champions of Brazil like. Botafogo are a more suitable comparison, play in black & white stripes n all although they've won a fair bit more than us.

How about Napoli? Massive club with a huge support, but haven't won anything since the early 90's. Recently had terrible ownership and faced massive debts as well as being dissolved and being relegated to C1. Despite all of this, they maintained some of the highest attendance in Italy.

How about Napoli? Massive club with a huge support, but haven't won anything since the early 90's. Recently had terrible ownership and faced massive debts as well as being dissolved and being relegated to C1. Despite all of this, they maintained some of the highest attendance in Italy.

good call Babatunde! they have the iconic maradona, we have the iconic shearer

They won actual silverware during their Maradona period, but it's a good call, particularly given the regional pride that Napolitans have, and the "us vs them" mentality regarding the northerners, a bit like Geordies and south England?

Size, history of near misses, importance to regional identity, and geographic/mental distance from the centers of power. To me the clubs' lack of success is the less telling in identifying "foreign NUFCs" than the other factors--past championships shouldn't eliminate obvious candidates.  Someone mentioned PSG earlier; to my mind OM is a better French NUFC. Napoli is perfect for Italy.

I'd eliminate clubs like PSG, Roma, and Hertha straight off because they are from the capital. Barca would otherwise be good fit except that they are far too successful.  What about Athletic Bilbao?

• 2 years later...

Was randomly thinking earlier today are Fiorentina our Italian equivalent?

Pretty big club from a 1 team city who have never quite capitalised on it for 1 reason or another and a club that a recent affinity for great football/strikers/shooting themselves in the foot. Have a pretty similar European pedigree to us says wiki too. Hmmmm.

In terms of Argieball I'd go for one of the two big Rosario clubs, NOB or Central, both of whom wildly underachieve at every moment possible and have fanatical support. Could easily be us and the mackems.

I think I said it in another thread a couple weeks ago - in a lot of things Atlético de Madrid are a carbon copy of you under Shepherd, on 'roids. Perennial underachievers (at least until recently...), management that spends over the odds to compensate failed project after failed project, bringing the club to be brink of bankruptcy; huge fanbase with big expectations; a story of employing great #9s... the constant switching of managers is more early Ashley period, but I'll lump it in here too.