Your England Squad for WC2010 Sath Efrika

Ishmael

So it's basically a manger bigging up one of his own players then?

Aye, and Nicky Butt's a 'fabulous player'.

So is Rooney. If that shoe fits your point then it fits everyone elses.

What are you talking about?

Guest firetotheworks

They were in a race for the title at that point, of course he's going to 'big up' his players.

And btw, if a compliment from Capello is the only thing you can present to me from the last 3 years as a reason why he should be on the plane, my point stands. He's finished as a top level footballer, he's been very poor for Milan in their last few games and it's only a matter of time before their fans turn on him just like the c***s in LA.

Your only answering to the posters that are presenting opinions that you can easily brush aside. The majority here want Beckham in the squad, that could be because it's obvious what his qualities are, and that they're still worth having in the England squad.

There isn't really a debate in whether Beckham should go or not. Only Ronaldo has this opinion that he is completely past it. Obviously, players into their 30s have no such thing as runs of good or poor form.

Everyone accepts and can clearly see that he is not the player he was. But what he still has is a set of core attributes that make taking him essential.

There might be more question of taking him if the other players vying for that place were anywhere near as good or consistent, and had played at any major tournaments, or competed in say the Champions League.  All of that comes with the word consistently strapped on.  Nobody else is reliable.  Agbonlahor is certainly not reliable.

The real question is, why the fuck did people vote for Richards? I mean seriously, explain yourselves.

The real question is, why the fuck did people vote for Richards?  I mean seriously, explain yourselves.

He's quick, strong and a competent full back having played there a lot. Plus there's no one better. He'd only be back up ffs.

There isn't really a debate in whether Beckham should go or not.  Only Ronaldo has this opinion that he is completely past it.  Obviously, players into their 30s have no such thing as runs of good or poor form. 

Everyone accepts and can clearly see that he is not the player he was.  But what he still has is a set of core attributes that make taking him essential.

There might be more question of taking him if the other players vying for that place were anywhere near as good or consistent, and had played at any major tournaments, or competed in say the Champions League.

The real question is, why the f*** did people vote for Richards?  I mean seriously, explain yourselves.

I think Heskey's inclusion is more puzzling myself, may as well pack Harewood's bags as well if we are including this guy.

The real question is, why the fuck did people vote for Richards?  I mean seriously, explain yourselves.

He's quick, strong and a competent full back having played there a lot. Plus there's no one better. He'd only be back up ffs.

An athlete yeah?

No seriously, he is so very limited at football that it hurts. 

Wes Brown is a considerably more able footballer for example.

Including Heskey IS NOT a puzzling decision.

Everyone knows what he brings to the England squad.

Only question now is considering Rooney appears to have altered his game, do we need him?  Only friendlies will tell.  But for now it should be obvious why Heskey is getting selected by people - and will no doubt be selected by Capello.

An athlete yeah?

No seriously, he is so very limited at football that it hurts. 

Wes Brown is a considerably more able footballer for example.

Not at right back, if he continues playing for Man Utd in the centre he's well in with a shout to go as back up for Rio and Terry though.

I think Heskey's inclusion is more puzzling myself, may as well pack Harewood's bags as well if we are including this guy.

For fucks sake, me and several others have explained this too many times.

Rooney's record is either just below or just above (I forget) at 1 goal every game when he plays up front with Heskey. He provides such a good foil for the man who is our more talented player, that he must go.

Guest firetotheworks

Why is it puzzling, when it has been pointed out and proven time after time what he brings to the team?

The thing about Rooney is that it's clear that he has completely adapted his game to suite the lone striker roll. Noticed it myself in the last few months, and Andy Gray did a whole segment on it on Sunday.

He's started to spearhead attacks when breaking and get into the six-yard box when the ball is out wide. These are things that Rooney was not doing a year ago.

So the question now is, with Rooney playing a whole new game for MU (and scoring shit loads in the process) can he do the same for England? Or, does Fabio want Rooney to continue to play his old game for England?

It will be interesting come the friendlies.

Guest firetotheworks

Rooney never needed Heskey, it was Owen who benefited from having him in the side. But much like the modern defensive midfielder obsession, a lot of people feel the need to have 'presence' up front when it isn't needed.

The alternative that has been anywhere near as successful? The one that has even worked at all?

Why is it puzzling, when it has been pointed out and proven time after time what he brings to the team?

Has scored 11 league goals in three seasons and he should start world cup - just because of 'bringing the best' out of Rooney?  Just 11 goals, lets put that in perspective,  Carroll scored 3 in that league at the back of last season, and he wasn't a 1st team regular.  He is dire.

Rooney right now can play well with anyone.

Deep lying midfielders are essential.

Every team will operate with one in some form or another. 

Fabio has always gone with 2 for example, 1 of which tends to be more mobile (i.e. Lampard) and one prepared to play slightly more defensive (Barry).  So both start from similar ground but Frank has more licence to get forward and Barry will always have one eye on covering others.  Beautiful system which has won Fabio so many competitions.

The thing about Rooney is that it's clear that he has completely adapted his game to suite the lone striker roll.  Noticed it myself in the last few months, and Andy Gray did a whole segment on it on Sunday.

He's started to spearhead attacks when breaking and get into the six-yard box when the ball is out wide.  These are things that Rooney was not doing a year ago. 

So the question now is, with Rooney playing a whole new game for MU (and scoring shit loads in the process) can he do the same for England?  Or, does Fabio want Rooney to continue to play his old game for England?

He wasn't doing it a year ago because he was playing off a front man. Rooney is our best player but we shouldn't be basing the whole thing around him. Defoe is on fire this season and deserves to start. I would like 2 players up front who are capable of scoring please. If Heskey needs to come off the bench (I'd bring Crouch on ahead of him) then so be it. He shouldn't be starting.

The thing about Rooney is that it's clear that he has completely adapted his game to suite the lone striker roll.  Noticed it myself in the last few months, and Andy Gray did a whole segment on it on Sunday.

He's started to spearhead attacks when breaking and get into the six-yard box when the ball is out wide.  These are things that Rooney was not doing a year ago. 

So the question now is, with Rooney playing a whole new game for MU (and scoring shit loads in the process) can he do the same for England?  Or, does Fabio want Rooney to continue to play his old game for England?

I say trust Rooneys abilities and play 4-5-1. There are more goals in our midfield than in Heskey, and like you say, todays Rooney don't need a Heskey (though to be honest, I'm not sure he ever did).

I'd line up something like

Green

Johnson Ferdinand Terry Cole

Carrick      Lampard

Lennon    Gerrard        Cole

Rooney

If J. Cole and Gerrard finds some form in the months leading up to the WC.

Rooney never needed Heskey, it was Owen who benefited from having him in the side. But much like the modern defensive midfielder obsession, a lot of people feel the need to have 'presence' up front when it isn't needed.

The alternative that has been anywhere near as successful? The one that has even worked at all?

What?

Has scored 11 league goals in three seasons and he should start world cup - just because of 'bringing the best' out of Rooney? 

How many goals has Ashley Cole scored in that time?  Do you think he should start?

Thing is, everyone will have the obvious belief that "he plays up front - he should score goals" or "he doesn't score, but he assists loads".  People need to see the bigger picture and look at the dynamics of the team.  Capello has created a system for England which aims to get the best out of the best players (basically Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard), and some players are the supporting cast.  Heskey is the supporting cast, he does not offer many goals or assists, but he allows the players around him to function to their best ability.

For fucks sake, me and several others have explained this too many times.

Rooney's record is either just below or just above (I forget) at 1 goal every game when he plays up front with Heskey. He provides such a good foil for the man who is our more talented player, that he must go.

The same Rooney who has managed 21 goals in 24 matches in the league this season, you know, without Heskey as a partner?

Your answers are getting more and more ridiculous and desperate, ronaldo. :facepalm:

They were in a race for the title at that point, of course he's going to 'big up' his players.

By saying things like he's playing as good as he was at Man Utd? He might as well have sucked his cock right infront of the media. :lol:

And btw, if a compliment from Capello is the only thing you can present to me from the last 3 years as a reason why he should be on the plane

No, Einstein. That was a response to your comment about him doing nowt at club level for a long time.... but more in particular to the last part where you said that we shouldn't be fooled by Madrid's title success in 2007.  :rolleyes:

Just how many times did you, or your flatmate, watch Beckham during that season? (Especially during the later part where Beckham started playing more often and played a big part in helping them win it. Hence Capello admitting he was too hasty in selling him.)

my point stands. He's finished as a top level footballer, he's been very poor for Milan in their last few games and it's only a matter of time before their fans turn on him just like the cunts in LA.

Okay, I might as well give my opinion on this Beckham debate now.

I would include him in the squad. He can still offer good enough end product (Unless you’re happy with Walcott’s?) to the forwards, especially when used as a sub during the QF stage when England are on the brink of going out.

His experience would be valuable enough. Yeah, he’s not as good as he was (hence why I’d use him as a sub), but to say he’s finished is just sheer ignorance and just proves that you don’t watch a lot of football, ronaldo.

And, I’ve never really been a big fan of his anyway.

Guest firetotheworks

Has scored 11 league goals in three seasons and he should start world cup - just because of 'bringing the best' out of Rooney? 

Yes. Amongst others.

Rooney right now can play well with anyone? He's in a team that still primarily uses fast attacking wingers playing on the counter. England doesnt, so another tactic is needed. Capello can see it, even us armchair managers can see why it works. There's been plenty of Hesky types over the years that aren't all that in their own right, but are needed to allow a team to work, they're the catalyst.

Why do you have Owen as your avatar btw? It doesn't do your points of view on football any favours tbh.  :lol:

He wasn't doing it a year ago because he was playing off a front man. Rooney is our best player but we shouldn't be basing the whole thing around him. Defoe is on fire this season and deserves to start. I would like 2 players up front who are capable of scoring please. If Heskey needs to come off the bench (I'd bring Crouch on ahead of him) then so be it. He shouldn't be starting.

But can Rooney and Defoe form a solid partnership?  It's not as easy as it sounds picking a team.  You don't just pick the guy's who score the most goals to play up front. 

Why is Defoe scoring so many goals, for example?  What system does he play in that allows him so many chances?  If he was to start next to Rooney, would one limit the others opportunities?  Would that be detrimental to the team?

Can you see how difficult and uncertain it can be?  Obviously, if Capello wants to see Defoe and Rooney together he will experiment.  But at the moment, we've been winning starting Rooney and bringing Defoe on.