When Will Face-Hugger (Steve Bruce) Be Sacked Sweepstake!

NG32

I think it would be big mistake if Sunderland sack Steve Bruce.

Personally, I have no doubt that Steve Bruce has learnt the formula of building a club for long term success - a solid back 4, a functioning midfield and a goal-scoring striker.

What went wrong for Steve Bruce is that the defenders he had brought in do not live up to expectations. Michael Turner, Paulo da Silva, John Mensah. All good signings on paper, unfortunately not on the pitch.

Had the defense function as it should - I would have no doubt that Sunderland should be higher up on the table.

I put it down to bad lucks - rather than inability of Bruce.

Their defence has very rarely been embarrassed this season. Their midfield looks shocking though.

Sunderland fans don't agree with you at all, they think the whole defence is now a mess which it never was before. They couldn't understand getting that guy we were after to go in as a first teamer and force Ferdinand out of the team. I was laughing as one of my friends was telling me this the other day. Poor them :D

Guest neesy111

Their defence has very rarely been embarrassed this season. Their midfield looks shocking though.

i think you'll find the mackems say the opposite, esepecially the two i was talking to last night

They would be daft to sack him, even if they got relegated.

Bruce has showed he's no mug at getting the basics right, despite having a hard time of it so far. If they survive they won't need huge investment because they've got a good striker and an adequate premiership defence.

On the other hand what do they hope to achieve?

If you look at their results, with the exception of the Chelsea game they haven't been embarrassed defensively.

I've no idea how good or bad their defence is in truth but it hasn't looked as bad as their midfield whenever i've seen them play. Cana is horribly overhyped.

Their midfield has been inadequate in every sense. They offer little creativity (Malbranque has bordered on invisible, Reid has offered little apart from a couple of impressive performances), and defensively, if Cattermole/Cana don't click (which, barring a few games, they haven't), an average defence is horribly exposed. And now Bent has stopped scoring all their goals (partly down to the hopeless lack of service), they are being shown up for what they are. Mid-table side with confidence but, for larger spells, a side lacking confidence, quality and mental toughness - i.e. a dark horse for relegation.

Still think they'll stay up. Just.

The injuries to Henderson and Malbranque have seemingly taken all the positive energy from their midfield.

Forgot to mention Henderson - he looks like he'll be a quality player. Bad luck with the injury but if he continues to develop well after he gets back, he'll be U21 material (if he isn't already) before long and after that, we'll see.

my 23/1 looks better with every week, aparently their worst performance at home yet on Sunday.

Ultimately their matches against Bolton, West Ham, Burnley, Hull and Wolves will decide their fate. 2 of those are at the SOS.

my 23/1 looks better with every week, aparently their worst performance at home yet on Sunday.

Ultimately their matches against Bolton, West Ham, Burnley, Hull and Wolves will decide their fate. 2 of those are at the SOS.

Can't see them winning any of the 3 away games at the moment.

Their midfield has been inadequate in every sense. They offer little creativity (Malbranque has bordered on invisible, Reid has offered little apart from a couple of impressive performances), and defensively, if Cattermole/Cana don't click (which, barring a few games, they haven't), an average defence is horribly exposed. And now Bent has stopped scoring all their goals (partly down to the hopeless lack of service), they are being shown up for what they are. Mid-table side with confidence but, for larger spells, a side lacking confidence, quality and mental toughness - i.e. a dark horse for relegation.

You get just as much creativity out of Cana & Cattermole as you do Smith & Nolan going forward too. Bruce needs to chance his arm in the home games and only play one of them, not sure whoelse they have that can play there like.

Guest Stephen927

Owen Coyle thinks Steve Bruce is in with a real shout of replacing Fabio Capello as England manager when the Italian moves on.

You get just as much creativity out of Cana & Cattermole as you do Smith & Nolan going forward too. Bruce needs to chance his arm in the home games and only play one of them, not sure whoelse they have that can play there like.

Harsh on Cattermole, he's hardly been fit this season and when he was it was during the decent run they had early doors. You can't just expect him to slot back into a team low on confidence, althoguh I agree he's hardly the most creative.

I haven't watched enough of Sunderland to go into detail on thie problems but their attitude reminds me of ours last year/West Ham 02-03. Their confidence is shot and they're relying on the age old 'we're too good to go down' to keep them up. The truth is if they can get Bent scoring again he'll carry them to safety, but at the moment even that looks a long way off.