Football podcasts

Gash

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Latest Pod on the Tyne absolute dogshit as usual. They really need to keep Caulkin away from any kind of audio medium.

Pretty annoying when your team is class and there's no good coverage of it. 

Gallowgate Shots is decent, even if it doesn’t do tactics per se. 

I actually think the Athletic has been terrible for Caulkin’s career. The mystique around him enhanced his work. He’d dip in, bottle the emotion of the moment, and dip out again. His interviews were empathetic and well told.

If he did podcasts it was similarly short and punchy. Now his articles are too wordy and feel like they were written for a fanzine. 

His podcast patter is no war crime, but it does disappoint me if only for its hubris.

A Newcastle podcast has so much potential. You could review classic games, have experts on to discuss the evolving commercial deals. Dissect the Ashley era, discuss the multi club model we’re being linked to.

Instead, Taylor and him bumble through bad jokes and give a “how class was that” analysis. 

Taylor is from Shields isn’t he? He reminds me so much of the type of canny lads you used to see in the Sundial and Marine on a Sunday night. Podgy fellas, usually a couple of giggling lasses in tow, holding court with a sort of chippy, olde timey vernacular and outlook. For some reason carried themselves as way older than they were. Nice people, but not natural broadcasters. The type of person that would hold up a phone to show you something amusing while you sat with a rigid grin hoping it would all be over quickly. 

The way he embraces whatever lame meme is doing the rounds- Cans, Mad Dog- is fully on brand for this type of figure. It’s all harmless but it’s also shallow and cast iron insight free. I mean, is it just me that finds it a bit weird that as the host of our most prominent podcast, he doesn’t appear to attend our games? There was one game- Man City, maybe?- that he didn’t even watch on TV. He had better things to do I suppose, and good for him, but if he is not a trained host and is not particularly invested in the club, then why does he have such a plum gig in the first place?

After we beat them 6-1, I listened to the Spurs podcast. Danny Kelly is not Dick Cavett but the increase in professionalism and quality offered by having an actual broadcaster was noticeable. He knew when to bring people in, he knew what angles to explore, he knew how to keep the show going. These things look easy, which is why every human in the world now hosts a podcast or has a YouTube channel, but they’re not and the listening experience is greatly improved by having somebody who is trained to do them. 

Caulkin is just not funny. It is not a crime to not be funny, unless one attempts to be- and he does, with punishing regularity. 

Edited by Hovagod

We have a real lack of quality podcasts. I used to really like true faith but they are starting to really annoy me. Gallowgate shots is my go to one but would be nice to have a nice variety. 

Don’t even bother with the athletic POTT. To be fair to Taylor on there tho he did his own podcast with Besty who’s now on GS and it was really good. 

someone get a Newcastle online one started :lol:

Edited by gdm

On 26/05/2023 at 04:06, Hovagod said:

I mean, is it just me that finds it a bit weird that as the host of our most prominent podcast, he doesn’t appear to attend our games? There was one game- Man City, maybe?- that he didn’t even watch on TV. He had better things to do I suppose, and good for him, but if he is not a trained host and is not particularly invested in the club, then why does he have such a plum gig in the first place?

Tbf he's busy making that Albert documentary. Any day now.

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

Tbf he's busy making that Albert documentary. Any day now.

Will this joke ever get old? This Charleroi based corespondent says non.

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Will this joke ever get old? This Charleroi based corespondent says non.

That was him and Besty right? What was the latest update? If they have the required footage there's really no excuse.

2 minutes ago, Viana said:

That was him and Besty right? What was the latest update? If they have the required footage there's really no excuse.

Aye it was and I think the last update was years ago that it couldn’t be produced because reaosns (others correct me if I’m wrong). However given they crowdfunded for it, had a nice jolly and then produced nowt sticks in the craw a bit. Maybe they were just ahead of the curve on the grifting to further your own importance as a fan voice that all others seem to have sadly latched on to. 

3 minutes ago, Andybiotics said:

I've not really enjoyed it as much since they tried to shoe horn die hard Everton fan, Jacob, into it.

Don't really understand why he's there and what he contributes.

I never really get this take. He's the only one who doesn't contribute to the appalling banter, and I think it's good to get the view from a fan of another team. 

Totally agree with @joeyt (was it?) re all the "fucking." Even Shearer was at it on the latest pod. Is swearing cool or something? :lol:

41 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I never really get this take. He's the only one who doesn't contribute to the appalling banter, and I think it's good to get the view from a fan of another team. 

Totally agree with @joeyt (was it?) re all the "fucking." Even Shearer was at it on the latest pod. Is swearing cool or something? :lol:

Just feel he brings the whole mood down. After a win, the other 3 are loving life, then Jacob will contribute with something petty, like "Player A was really lucky to get away with that tackle, a red card would have changed the game", then it becomes awkward where the others don't want to pull him up on it or challenge it, they just swiftly move onto something else.

Jacob seems like a charisma vacuum in all honesty.

17 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Reading his height in books was very Partridge, but I agree, he's better than what else is on offer.

21 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I can't quite put my finger on how to describe it, but it comes across as totally affected to me like. Similar to the 'cockwomble' 'wankpuffin' people on Twitter it's like they're trying to signal that they're not a total spenk or that they're working class or down with the kids or something, but end up sounding even more like that because as I say it just comes across as try hard and affected to me. Maybe I'm just cynical and my intuition's shite though. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Funnily enough something similar was mentioned on a podcast that I listen to the other day, but they were talking about the way that young characters are written in films now. It's like the writers are like 'what do young people do? Errr, they swear!' then just having them swear all the time and saying these contrived, overly complicated ways of swearing. When I hear the swearing on POTT and all that, I get the same feeling about that. 

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I can't quite put my finger on how to describe it, but it comes across as totally affected to me like. Similar to the 'cockwomble' 'wankpuffin' people on Twitter it's like they're trying to signal that they're not a total spenk or that they're working class or down with the kids or something, but end up sounding even more like that because as I say it just comes across as try hard and affected to me. Maybe I'm just cynical and my intuition's shite though. 

I didn't know what you were on about here so had to Google. 

https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/a22747750/cockwomble-there-is-a-crisis-in-british-swearing/

"It's not clear where the urge to formulate swearwords which sound like surnames of minor Harry Potter characters came from, but it's been leapt on as a really easy way to make yourself sound a bit witty. Pick a swear word, add a slightly unexpected noun, launch it at Dominic Raab and hey - you're a Radio 4 quiz show panellist.

"Oddly, for something so popular with the anti-Brexit #FBPE gang, these insults seem weirdly Tory too. They're a bit too pleased with themselves - a bit too chummy, plummy, jolly-good, Pimm's o'clock bollocks. Certainly Johnson - a man who never uses one word when three circular, repetitive paragraphs will do - is a massive fan of an anachronistic insult. The popular theory is that his bumbling professor persona is a misdirection under which he does his power-grabbing thing with impunity, and the sense that he's just been bundled out of the Drones Club is a key part of his schtick.

"Take his greatest hit, a grandstanding description of Jeremy Corbyn as a "mutton-headed old mugwump". Both mugwump and cockwomble are about the maverick genius of the insulter rather than the crimes of failings of the insulted. Both are absolutely delighted with their own linguistic gymnastics, and both are completely insufferable."

:lol: fascinating stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I didn't know what you were on about here so had to Google. 

https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/a22747750/cockwomble-there-is-a-crisis-in-british-swearing/

"It's not clear where the urge to formulate swearwords which sound like surnames of minor Harry Potter characters came from, but it's been leapt on as a really easy way to make yourself sound a bit witty. Pick a swear word, add a slightly unexpected noun, launch it at Dominic Raab and hey - you're a Radio 4 quiz show panellist.

"Oddly, for something so popular with the anti-Brexit #FBPE gang, these insults seem weirdly Tory too. They're a bit too pleased with themselves - a bit too chummy, plummy, jolly-good, Pimm's o'clock bollocks. Certainly Johnson - a man who never uses one word when three circular, repetitive paragraphs will do - is a massive fan of an anachronistic insult. The popular theory is that his bumbling professor persona is a misdirection under which he does his power-grabbing thing with impunity, and the sense that he's just been bundled out of the Drones Club is a key part of his schtick.

"Take his greatest hit, a grandstanding description of Jeremy Corbyn as a "mutton-headed old mugwump". Both mugwump and cockwomble are about the maverick genius of the insulter rather than the crimes of failings of the insulted. Both are absolutely delighted with their own linguistic gymnastics, and both are completely insufferable."

:lol: fascinating stuff. 

Aye, I apologise that I made you find out about it. :lol:

When did Chris Waugh stop doing journalism and just parrot whatever he's spoon-fed from club "sources"?

Why is George Caulkin trying so hard to be edgy?

Why does Taylor Payne sound like he's out of breath from talking into a microphone?

So many questions.

Just to pile on a bit again, as part of the same thing, Caulkin's whole dislike for stats and the collective derision for Chris Waugh for bringing them up all feels part of the same forced thing as well. Just seems weird to go on like that as if you're no nonsense when you also write like you're constantly in the middle of a flowery emotional breakdown. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

I can still remember the early days of the first pandemic lockdown where I'd eagerly await POTT as it would contain the latest "no red flags" titbits from Caulkin; but listening to him and Taylor Payne talking about having sausages for tea and calling Chris Waugh "Private Waffles" or whatever was excruciatingly bad. I get that at the time there wasn't a right lot to talk about as nowt was happening but I never went back to it once there were other reputable takeover news sources.