Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Guest palnese

Stephen Warnock

I highly doubt that Villa would sell their only decent left back.

Jonjo is going to Liverpool.

Signs for them today for about £1.7 million + add ons.

Thats such a bad choice of club to go to for a young British footballer. Liverpool's record over the last 10 years of developing youth players, especially British ones, is terrible. I'd go as far as to say its worse than ours. In fact, I can't think of ANY who have stepped up to Premiership level.

Stevie Geeeee

My bad. Should have quoted :)

Thats such a bad choice of club to go to for a young British footballer. Liverpool's record over the last 10 years of developing youth players, especially British ones, is terrible. I'd go as far as to say its worse than ours. In fact, I can't think of ANY who have stepped up to Premiership level.

Stevie Geeeee

Danny Guthrie?

Stevie Geeeee

Danny Guthrie?

Who?

Read on F365 there yesterday that Pulis wants a bit of a clear out at stoke, with Tuncay being one of those he wants to ship out (God knows why, but i hope its true) . I know hes not under 26 and does not have great resale value, but we should pull out all the stops to make him our first signing of the window IMO. Exceptions should be made to this new transfer policy for cases like this where someone could be the difference between us staying up or going down.

Read on F365 there yesterday that Pulis wants a bit of a clear out at stoke, with Tuncay being one of those he wants to ship out (God knows why, but i hope its true) . I know hes not under 26 and does not have great resale value, but we should pull out all the stops to make him our first signing of the window IMO. Exceptions should be made to this new transfer policy for cases like this where someone could be the difference between us staying up or going down.

too much creativity for pulis not enough hoof

Guest BooBoo

I think we could get away with just 3 new first teamers. CH must surely see we need a goalscorer, a central midfielder with legs and a better right back.

Guest firetotheworks

Hughton has said there won't be too many new signings in the summer. Thinks majority of current squad deserve a shot at the Prem.

Ugh, as if being deserving ever got anyone anywhere.

Interesting comments from Hughton.

I think it's probably likely that both Nolan and Smith are going to be in the first team next season. My issue with this would be a central midfield partnership with the both of them. This just will not work imo. If we are going to have these two in the first team, the best case scenario would be Nolan playing off of a main striker and Smith in midfield with a top notch central midfielder with the legs to get up and down the pitch and the ability to dictate play and set up our attacking moves. The guy we are supposedly looking at from Lille, Yohan Cabaye, is this type of player so could make sense.

I think it's probably likely that both Nolan and Smith are going to be in the first team next season. My issue with this would be a central midfield partnership with the both of them. This just will not work imo. If we are going to have these two in the first team, the best case scenario would be Nolan playing off of a main striker and Smith in midfield with a top notch central midfielder with the legs to get up and down the pitch and the ability to dictate play and set up our attacking moves. The guy we are supposedly looking at from Lille, Yohan Cabaye, is this type of player so could make sense.

:lol:

If someone assured me that both of them will be regular starters next season, i'd put everything I own on us getting relegated. Smith's barely a Championship player on his best day. Hughton surely isn't stupid enough to keep him in the team.

If someone assured me that both of them will be regular starters next season, i'd put everything I own on us getting relegated. Smith's barely a Championship player on his best day. Hughton surely isn't stupid enough to keep him in the team.

and he has preffered Guthire and Nolan since about January. Smith has been fit and on the bench during this time. Plus Barton would be a head of smith as well.

and he has preffered Guthire and Nolan since about January. Smith has been fit and on the bench during this time. Plus Barton would be a head of smith as well.

Can see Smith leaving us next January. Like him as a person from all I've heard but I somtimes hate him as a player.

Keegan thought that he was a good guy to have around - probably that's why he's still a the club and that's probably a reason to keep him next season. Give him some games but don't start him every week please. And give him a new contract on lesser wages.

Thing is though, the spine of the side should be able to survive in the Prem. We're sorted at the back (simpson excluded), we have two at least lower level Prem quality wingers, a young player with plenty of industry and drive in the midfield in Guthrie and a target man up front who irritates the fuck out of defenders and just needs a goalscorer to play off him. Add that to impact players like Nolan and Lovenkrands and with a few quality additions in the right areas and we should be able to survive.

You can't really take Hughton's quotes at face value, he has a policy of bigging up his senior players in public, it's what he does in reality next season that counts. He's done a superb job this season and no one should begrudge him any praise he's received as a result, but next season will be a different test and if he sticks with too many of the legless wonders that got us relegated we'll be in trouble. Having said that, two or three fresh additions to the squad would do wonders, if he gets the right backing from Ashley there's no reason why we can't do well next season.

The thing is, I can't see the two clubs coming up with you doing any better. As a result, you'll be competing against sides such as Blackburn, Wigan, West Ham and Wolves to avoid the drop, over one place. I can see the logic in Hughton keeping the squad largely together (as they will have got 100 points after all), and just making a couple of opportunistic tweaks. That way the morale stays high and the winning habit might just stick. You can't convince me that Newcastle's team and squad is that much more limited than Stoke's - and they stayed up comfortably.

The main reason you went down in the first place was Hull's form before Xmas. If you make a good start you'll be fine. I can't see Ashley making too much money available in Summer, but if it's going tits up by Xmas then you'll see a new manager and some money spent.

Wouldn't mind Yakubu, don't know how much he has been playing for the toffees this year like or whether he is realistic or not.

I pray to God we don't sign Yakubu and his ever expanding buttocks. I can't tolerate having to watch him play for my team more than I already do.