Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Guest Heneage

Kuyt has been a success her imo.  Maybe not in purely goalscoring terms, but a sucess nonetheless.

Kuyts different though he's been trained to a winger now, he's a different player to his days at De Kuip.

Guest Heneage

Somebody surely should take a punt on Luís Suárez however, his goalscoring stats are getting more and more ridiculous each season. Not a name for this thread though!

Him and Miralem Sulejmani, the longer they stay the cheaper they may become, I'm sure Suarez is mid twenties now is he not?

Zlatan never topped the goalscoring in Eredivisie though.

If it is top goalscorers most seasons there is only 1 ffs.

RVP as a former Eredivisie striker has done well. Bergkamp & Zlats have done well elsewhere. Paddy K hit over 100 goals at Barca. Kanu has collected a shed load of medals. MVB, Ronaldo & Romario are some of the greatest strikers ever. RVN is one MUFC greatest ever goalscorers. Van Hooijdonk has got decent number elsewhere.

Somebody surely should take a punt on Luís Suárez however, his goalscoring stats are getting more and more ridiculous each season. Not a name for this thread though!

Him and Miralem Sulejmani, the longer they stay the cheaper they may become, I'm sure Suarez is mid twenties now is he not?

Hasn't Sulejmani sort of flopped at Ajax?

Guest Heneage

I think with Sulejmani it's more been a mix of iffy injuries and not quite fitting the side. He showed against Juve in the Europa league that the boys got talent. He'd be a great support striker for Carroll.

I think with Sulejmani it's more been a mix of iffy injuries and not quite fitting the side. He showed against Juve in the Europa league that the boys got talent. He'd be a great support striker for Carroll.

And maybe not an unrealistic signing. Ajax could let him go for a non-barbaric sum I guess.

Guest Heneage

And maybe not an unrealistic signing. Ajax could let him go for a non-barbaric sum I guess.

I love chatting with you.  :aww:

Potentially yeah, but he came for a big fee so about 8 million euro's would be fair. I still would rather we try and nab Van Der Wiel or De Zeeuw.

He's 23 and his price is likely to skyrocket further if he has a decent showing at the World Cup. Same with the lad at Twente for Costa Rica - i forget his name but he has been banging them in this season.

Apparently Ajax have given up on Sulejmani, and are ready to let him go. By all accounts he's been a total flop there, considering they paid an Eredivisie record of £16 million Euros for him. Pretty sure he's highly unrealstic for us anyway.

Ruiz is another one who is way out of our league. Twente are not the kind of team to let their products go cheaply, they're built on a solid financial footing and they'll only sell their star players for hefty fees. The kind of figures being bandered around for Ruiz are around £15 million mark, even more so if they get into the Champions League. Again I think it's a case of being their a season ago, when Twente took a gamble and bought him for just 5 million Euros.

Really torn about Berbatov.  Absolutely love the guy, I think he's one of the classiest guys on the ball but I think he's 1) too old now and 2) this is really not the club for him.  Would love and hate to have him here at the same time.  And definitely not for 18m.

thing with Berbatov is, he's not really a physical player whose game is based on pace or strength, so he's not guaranteed to decline as quick as some other players as injuries and age take their toll. i'd compare him more to a bergkamp type who was still a fantastic player at 35.

if it was any other big name player aged 29 i wouldnt support spending huge amounts of them as we'll only get them on their way down, whereas i think we could get another 4 or 5 years out of berbatov.

Berbatov would almost single handedly keep us up imo.

:thup:

But at the same time, it's not worth spending the majority of our transfer budget on. If we had more money, then maybe.