Sunderland...

Heron

Don't think I've seen that one before, Madras. Is it as bad as Green Street?

the original is canny (if only cos it's gary oldman and benny from grange hill), the remake is hilarious.

green street is great for all the wrong reasons.

speaking of football hooligan films,  Football Factory is on film4 now.  Not as good as the book mind.

Sunderland chairman Quinn defends criticism of pub fans

Quinn believes his criticisms were required to generate debate

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has defended his criticism of stay-away fans choosing to watch matches in the pub rather than attend games.

The Irishman said he used the word "despise" in order to generate attention for the club's appeal against televised 1500 GMT Saturday football.

Quinn told BBC Newcastle: "I did use emotive language, I did think long and hard about using the word despise.

"It was a tactical thing to say, which worked and it got a response."

Quinn continued: "I'm delighted it got us to the front page of the papers and radio programmes and at last I can have a meaningful debate."

"I'm able to highlight the problem, I'm able to tell you our crowd has lost around 6,000 people in the time we became successful.

"Anybody who says they can't afford to come down to the game, there's no way I would ever criticise, the problem is that people are going down to the pub and spending equivalent amounts of money."

I'd like to know what his definition of success is.  Imagine if Ashley said he despises us? Riot inducing.

Guest Howaythetoon

Quinn's a good football bloke and sunderland are lucky to have him on board, there really is no excuse for their lot not to be selling out every home game which they often did under the despised Murray (as a top-flight club). This is probably the best few years for sunderland in many a decade and many thousands are turning their back on their club during this fruitful period. Again there is no excuse.

He's right about those pub Tvs like, how are you going to convince Sunderland fans to go to games when they can watch Newcastle on Nova sport in any pub?  This is a group of fans who were begging for streams to watch our friendlies remember.  Maybe we could stagger the games so we don't play on the same day?

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has defended his criticism of stay-away fans choosing to watch matches in the pub rather than attend games.

The Irishman said he used the word "despise" in order to generate attention for the club's appeal against televised 1500 GMT Saturday football.

Quinn told BBC Newcastle: "I did use emotive language, I did think long and hard about using the word despise.

Quinn continued: "I'm delighted it got us to the front page of the papers and radio programmes and at last I can have a meaningful debate."

"I'm able to highlight the problem, I'm able to tell you our crowd has lost around 6,000 people in the time we became successful.

"Anybody who says they can't afford to come down to the game, there's no way I would ever criticise, the problem is that people are going down to the pub and spending equivalent amounts of money."

I'd like to know what his definition of success is.  Imagine if Ashley said he despises us? Riot inducing.

No there not, its free entry to a pub, the drinks are cheaper and you can sup 4 pints during one match then head home.

Much cheaper then going to watch premier league football.

Prices are to high.  End of.

Guest Wearside

No there not, its free entry to a pub, the drinks are cheaper and you can sup 4 pints during one match then head home.

The thing is it's not even just the prices,some people would rather just watch it in the boozer than actually go to the match and that's their choice,Quinn is fighting a losing battle and you can't force people to go.

I'm off to the boozer at half 12 today and of my group of mates about 14/15 about 5 of them will just stop in the pub and watch it while the rest of us go to the match, and in the past they have even been offered free tickets and turned it down as they prefer just to watch it in the pub.

Sunderland's ticket prices are much lower than ours. Anyway he is right, how many people will actually go to the pub just to watch the scores come in at 3pm, or games on a foreign channel? Most of them will come in before hand to get a good place at the bar, or even watch the early KO, then some will stay for a fe more pints, and often will watch the late KO. In most cases people will spend about the same price as a match ticket at the pub if not more.

Sunderland's ticket prices are much lower than ours. Anyway he is right, how many people will actually go to the pub just to watch the scores come in at 3pm, or games on a foreign channel? Most of them will come in before hand to get a good place at the bar, or even watch the early KO, then some will stay for a fe more pints, and often will watch the late KO. In most cases people will spend about the same price as a match ticket at the pub if not more.

3 games involved in that then...

Guest toonlass

Bruce's song was going to be 'who let the dogs out'

source: mackem mate who knows someone that went to a Bruce talk-in.

Steve Bruce is thick as fuck! Does he honestly believe that Chris Hughton or Derek Llambias told the DJ what to play at the end of the game? The only reason it was played was because we were singing it throughout the game, and that is what made it funny at the end. When have the mackems ever sang "who let the dogs out" at us? Tbh if he was choosing a song based on what was sang by the mackems on the day the only thing he could have chosen was "the sound of silence" as they were quiet as church mice throughout!

Steve Bruce is thick as fuck! Does he honestly believe that Chris Hughton or Derek Llambias told the DJ what to play at the end of the game? The only reason it was played was because we were singing it throughout the game, and that is what made it funny at the end. When have the mackems ever sang "who let the dogs out" at us? Tbh if he was choosing a song based on what was sang by the mackems on the day the only thing he could have chosen was "the sound of silence" as they were quiet as church mice throughout!

announcing he had a special revenge song- then not getting to use it has to go down as a Major fucking embarrasment- what a tw@t.

announcing he had a special revenge song- then not getting to use it has to go down as a Major fucking embarrasment- what a tw@t.

Is this in reference to Freddie Shepherd's sting comments? As if anyone would have given a shit about that. God the man is pathetic, even dissing his own family members to get one over on the club he 'loves'. The man is touched.