Acceptable transfer budget

bealios

I think a few people on here are in for a shock next season. While we have pissed a poor division, some performances have been bloody awful. Our team/squad is worse than the one that got relegated. £20m is a minimum for me, including a proven quality striker for starters.

I hate to say it, but i can see us taking some serious spankings next year. Obviously it will come down to the matches against relegation rivals as to whether we stay up.

Do you think the team playing now could beat the team at this point last year?

we need a decent playmaker above all IMHO

I'd liek to think we'd have £ 40 mm for say 5 players of middling quality but I suspect Hughton will be given £ 25 mm and a pat on the head........................

Guest neesy111

IMO 30M well spent will keep us up defo's, ppl say how bad the championship has been, the premiership has been a lot worse than last season in terms of quality

we need a CB, RB, winger, playmaker, and 2 strikers 6 players at 30M average 5M a player

Davies is always talking about how much money his club or other clubs need. Just a rubbish manager.

Have you noticed in that article they have Rangers days at the club numbered.

I also noticed that Smith is an essential cog but hasn't been missed in the last 6 games

I'd liek to think we'd have £ 40 mm for say 5 players of middling quality but I suspect Hughton will be given £ 25 mm and a pat on the head........................

Apart from the Owen summer, when have we ever spent that sort of cash? (£25m in one go never mine £40m)

Apart from the Owen summer, when have we ever spent that sort of cash? (£25m in one go never mine £40m)

keegan days on a comparative level for the time though not the same size as that

Buy a couple of lads who will give us that little bit extra for the prem, get some loans in and purchase a few more youngsters.

We have a good core of experience for the prem already.

If west ham go down, we should go for Charlton Cole.

Buy a couple of lads who will give us that little bit extra for the prem, get some loans in and purchase a few more youngsters.

lot of clubs would want him

lot of clubs would want him

No doubt they do but we got to try.

Butt leaving gives us a bit of salary space to chuck back at the first team squad as well.

I think a few people on here are in for a shock next season. While we have pissed a poor division, some performances have been bloody awful. Our team/squad is worse than the one that got relegated. £20m is a minimum for me, including a proven quality striker for starters.

I hate to say it, but i can see us taking some serious spankings next year. Obviously it will come down to the matches against relegation rivals as to whether we stay up.

While the first half of the season the performances were awful, since the signings in January we have been playing a completely different kind of football. While you are right it isn't going to be easy, I think we'll add some quality and the fact that we will have a squad that is eager to make it's mark with young hungry players rather than bloated big name cast offs is going to make next season one I'm really looking forward to.

We have a team now. Remember how we used to say newly promoted teams had an advantage against us in a relegation battle because they had better mentality/teamwork? That's us now.

Man for man we may be weaker than 08-09 but as a team there's no comparison. I'd actually be looking to add just 2 quality players or so to the first team rather than making wholesale changes. Changing too much could actually backfire.

We have a team now. Remember how we used to say newly promoted teams had an advantage against us in a relegation battle because they had better mentality/teamwork? That's us now.

Man for man we may be weaker than 08-09 but as a team there's no comparison. I'd actually be looking to add just 2 quality players or so to the first team rather than making wholesale changes. Changing too much could actually backfire.

You're probably right, we also have quite a lot of players who have something to prove in the Premiership (Colo, Nolan, Routledge, Carroll, even Shola!) so they should be hungry for a chance.

While the first half of the season the performances were awful, since the signings in January we have been playing a completely different kind of football. While you are right it isn't going to be easy, I think we'll add some quality and the fact that we will have a squad that is eager to make it's mark with young hungry players rather than bloated big name cast offs is going to make next season one I'm really looking forward to.

To add to that, there's no way our current team is worse than the one that got relegated. Some of the performances last season were an embarrassment, and the attitude of some players clearly showed they didn't give a fuck.

We have performed poorly at times this season, but nothing like as bad as then.

Sensible post. This year's team are lions compared to the pussy's of last year. Most of the things that we are worried about are the same things all the other team's in the bottom half will be saying IMO.

Those thinking we are going to get 20m are on another planet.

Its not much worse IMO, maybe not worse at all given the difference in teamwork and attitude now.  Player for player IMO its slightly worse in some ways (attack) and slightly better in others (midfield).  Our squads smaller but a lot of the body's we've removed from the squad have been wastes of space that do nothing but take wages for no return.  I'd say we're only a couple of players (quality striker and central midfielder) from being quite a bit better then the 08-09 side, especially given the fact the team now has spirit.  Then its just a case of getting a few squad players to pad things out.  IMO £15m plus whatever we get from players sales could possibly be enough for that.

On paper it might be slightly worse in terms of names and reputations... on the pitch it's miles better in terms of passion and performances.

When you consider those qualities were present in many teams who were weaker on paper than us in our relegation season who then finished above us it puts things in perspective. I don't think Hull or Stoke players were earning a quarter of what our superstar squad was but they did much better.

On paper it might be slightly worse in terms of names and reputations... on the pitch it's miles better in terms of passion and performances.

When you consider those qualities were present in many teams who were weaker on paper than us in our relegation season who then finished above us it puts things in perspective. I don't think Hull or Stoke players were earning a quarter of what our superstar squad was but they did much better.

Even on paper it's not that much worse when you think about it.

Is Routledge worse than Duff? Probably not. Is Lovenkrands any worse than Owen nowadays? Not in terms of impact. Carroll any worse than Viduka? Maybe, but much fitter and younger.

I wouldn't swap the current team for the previous one. Most of the players that went, we wanted them out anyway... and for good reasons.

Martins and Bassong would walk into our squad with ease tbh.

They're the only two players missing from 08-09 that would (well possibly Beye), meanwhile Routledge is an improvement on last year IMO.

There's an awful lot of guff in this thread about the teamwork, hunger, passion, attitude, etc of the current squad compared to last year's. I'm pretty sure though without a decent bit of squad improvement in quality in the Summer the same people throwing those words around now will be reassessing those qualities a couple of months into next season (and no doubt Hughton or anyone critical of Ashley will be to blame for destroying it). It's easy to look like "a team" when the quality of the players alongside you are better than the opposition week in week out, and it's easy to show hunger and passion when you're top of the league and full of confidence. If Owen, Martins, Viduka, Duff, Beye or Bassong had still been in the team now they'd have been just as much part of this great team spirit, and just as hungry with just as much to prove.

Certainly the uncertainty around the club and the 4 different managers would have negatively affected the team last season, and simply without that hindrance an inferior squad may do a bit better next season and stay up, but don't be delusional about how the apparent team spirit of a team currently winning week after week is going to make up for the lack of quality in the squad when it's losing more often than not. The lack of depth in the squad will also be more relevant next season when it will not be so easy to get emergency loans to cover for injuries.