The "We Won't Win Another Game This Season" Fred aka Relegation-o-meter

Stu
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't see how getting 0 points from two games where we should have expected 0 points changes anything.

Performance today was terrible, but we were never beating Spurs 2 days after our last match with two of our best players missing.

4 points above relegation people

Before Boxing Day were you really expecting much from these two games? I bet 60% of the league this season will lose at home to City & get beat at Spurs.

4 points from the next 2 is a must.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think we all expected two defeats, nothing to get worried about. Wigan and West Ham are games we need to get points from however.

Mick Lowes mentioned we have only 1 win in our last 8 games. Really worrying stuff tbh. Like ive said in other threads though, our next 3 league games are all winnable. 6 points at least is an absolute must imo.

4 points above relegation people

Why bump this when you're having a go at people in other threads?

Am I not right on both accounts?

I understand why we lost today.  Tottenham are a considerably better side than ourselves.  So people need to get a grip when attacking certain elements of our performance and approach to the game.

AND

We are 4 points above the relegation zone, so yes we should be worried.  Yes, we need to seriously strengthen the squad in January.

I thought we would lose, very badly against Spurs however they weren't as good as I was expecting and when they went down to 10 men we got worse. This wasn't the old "the 10 men work harder" thing that sometimes happens, this was down to the fact we had no idea in attack. We have enough opportunities to play forward but instead we just tried to lump it forward and waste possession every time.

As said, I wasn't expecting anything from the last two but this "performance" has concerned me.

Interesting to note that in our relegation season (2008-2009) after 18 games we had 22 points, exactly the same as this season after the same number. Goal difference again is -1, but have more goals for.

2008/09: NUFC after 18 games: 22 points, 12th position (scored 24, conceded 25)

2010/11: NUFC after 18 games: 22 points, 9th position (scored 28, conceded 29)

Overall though still a lot more confident about staying up this season just because west brom away aside the effort and desire seem to be always there.

We were 22 points from 18 games that season yeah, but we then only got 2 points from the next 7 games (12 points from the remaining 20 games).

I thought we would lose, very badly against Spurs however they weren't as good as I was expecting and when they went down to 10 men we got worse. This wasn't the old "the 10 men work harder" thing that sometimes happens, this was down to the fact we had no idea in attack. We have enough opportunities to play forward but instead we just tried to lump it forward and waste possession every time.

As said, I wasn't expecting anything from the last two but this "performance" has concerned me.

If we performed like that with our best team on the pitch it would have concerned me, but as it is I'm confident we'll do much better with the likes of Nolan, Enrique and Ameobi back (not to mention Ben Arfa eventually).

Honestly don't know if we'll stay up. We're just as likely to drop like a stone as we are to clamber into just-about mid-table mediocrity. But we're edging towards the former, imo, given who our manager currently is. As is being said all over the forum - next three games are just enormous.

Last 3 games. Liverpool, Man Citeh and Spurs. 3 points isn't a bad return. The mannerisms of the defeats aren't great, but we've got winnable games. Ask me in a month

Hopefully he's learned a lot about certain players (as Dave said, as we knew all along) in time for the Wigan game.

Expected to lose these last 2 games, so theres no concern there. However, its been a weird season and 4 points off the zone indicates a relegation fight. Starting to get a little worried, even though I know we're good enough and we have Carroll/Ben Arfa. These next 3 games are monumentally big.

Expected to lose these last 2 games, so theres no concern there. However, its been a weird season and 4 points off the zone indicates a relegation fight. Starting to get a little worried, even though I know we're good enough and we have Carroll/Ben Arfa. These next 3 games are monumentally big.

How far were you expecting us to be clear out of interest at this point back in August?

Well I feel the first half of fixtures were easier, so expected a strong-ish start. Certainly don't feel as confident going away to Wigan, Blackpool, Blackburn and Stoke as being at home to them. Also, it was difficult to predict that the bottom half would be so tight.

Anything against Spurs at WHL would have been a bonus so, as it stands, nothing much has changed. The next few games should be a good indicator as to what our fortunes will be like come the end of the season; back-to-back losses and its crisis time.