Should Harper be our number 1 in the Premier League - Next Season

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes, I think he should.

I'm just worried that Krul's going to get impatient and want out. I know we've got another great talent in Forster, but I really rate Krul as potentially world-class. I'd hate to lose him.

I'd give him his chance but not hesitate in putting Krul games if Harper is looking suspect.

See I would hesitate, and there lies the problem. I like Harper but the agility seems to be going in addition to the handling. We won't score many goals next season, keeping them out is paramount.

I'd give him his chance but not hesitate in putting Krul games if Harper is looking suspect.

See I would hesitate, and there lies the problem. I like Harper but the agility seems to be going in addition to the handling. We won't score many goals next season, keeping them out is paramount.

we could have given back in  top form and a decent defence but with shit in front of it we'll still be porous.

the sooner people learn to look at a team defending instead of just the keeper and back 4 the better.

Krul would be a bad choice I think. He is a good shot stopper but he doesn't inspire confidence

We have many more weaker positions to replace. Most keepers have weaknesses, Harper doesn't command his 6 yard line & is prone to punching the ball but he is a decent keeper. Gordon cost the Mackems 9M or so and he has the same problems. Compare Harper with PL keepers and he comes out pretty well imo.

We have many more weaker positions to replace. Most keepers have weaknesses, Harper doesn't command his 6 yard line & is prone to punching the ball but he is a decent keeper. Gordon cost the Mackems 9M or so and he has the same problems. Compare Harper with PL keepers and he comes out pretty well imo.

Which ones? That joker at Burnley, granted.

Definitely not. He has been a great servant and a good keeper but, due to his age, he is far too slow. He has made some good saves this season and a few great ones but I fear he will be badly exposed in the Prem, at this stage of his career.

Would say Harper is on a par with some of the keepers in the Prem but only better than Jensen, Myhill & Hanhemann

Almunia, Sorenson, Howard, Gomez & Green are high profile keepers who I wouldn't swap with. Most keepers have their weaknesses. Harper doesn't make that many howlers, is a good shot stopper, his kicking could be better and his main weakness is dealing with crosses.

You'll not agree with some mentioned and others have been left out as I haven't seen enough of them (Hull, Wolves...). The point is that we'd be replacing Harper with Krul or would need to spend 5M or so which would be better spent elsewhere.

Almunia, Sorenson, Howard, Gomez & Green are high profile keepers who I wouldn't swap with. Most keepers have their weaknesses. Harper doesn't make that many howlers, is a good shot stopper, his kicking could be better and his main weakness is dealing with crosses.

You'll not agree with some mentioned and others have been left out as I haven't seen enough of them (Hull, Wolves...). The point is that we'd be replacing Harper with Krul or would need to spend 5M or so which would be better spent elsewhere.

I disagree with all 5 of the keepers you've said there. I'd gladly swap Harper for any of those players.

But I'm completely totally absolutely mega ultra hyper astounded that you included Tim Howard in that list. Absolutely flabbergasted.

I disagree with all 5 of the keepers you've said there. I'd swap. But I'm astounded that you included Tim Howard in that list. Absolutely flabbergasted.

Aside from maybe Sorenson although he has really upped his game since he went to Stoke I'd agree.

I disagree with all 5 of the keepers you've said there. I'd gladly swap Harper for any of those players.

But I'm completely totally absolutely mega ultra hyper astounded that you included Tim Howard in that list. Absolutely flabbergasted.

Opinions.

Howard > Harper

I don't understand the hype around Almunia. I think he is a bit crap.

Harper stays on his line far too much, he wont come for many crosses and that put even more pressure on our defenders. That´s a huge problem, the best goalkeepers would deal with crosses which prevents a lot of goalattemps, Harper doesn´t do that and puts extra pressure on the defenders.

Anyway, I will give him a chance next season. He´s a decent shot stopper and he has experience and calmness on the pitch.

I think he's been ok this year. I wasn't really buying into the thing about him only looking good because of the poor opposition. But after last nights performance I think we seriously need to find a new first choice next year. If that is Krul then so be it, but I'd prefer a more experienced custodian to start with and blood Krul in a few games - not leave him sitting on the bench for years like Harper did. Harper will be acceptable as a back up.

Harper stays on his line far too much, he wont come for many crosses and that put even more pressure on our defenders. That´s a huge problem, the best goalkeepers would deal with crosses which prevents a lot of goalattemps, Harper doesn´t do that and puts extra pressure on the defenders.

Anyway, I will give him a chance next season. He´s a decent shot stopper and he has experience and calmness on the pitch.

Sounds a lot like a certain Irishman now plying his trade at Man City.