NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I know we've got an abundance of centre-mids, at least on the squad sheet, but i'd love another defensive mid tbh. In spite of their early promise, it's realistic that Abeid and Vuckic are still years away, and i don't think Gosling and (obviously) Smith are up to much. I've always thought of Guthrie as adequate cover, but it's not out of the realms of possibility for both Cabaye and Tiote to get injured/suspended simultaneously. They both like a booking.

Perhaps it's greedy but it would be a pleasant change to be completely covered at CM. Another CB goes without saying.

`'ve always thought of Guthrie as adequate cover, but it's not out of the realms of possibility for both Cabaye and Tiote to get injured/suspended simultaneously. They both like a booking. `

we have to start planning for a european campaign.(probably uefa cup)  Stoke and fulham have shown that it can be a heavy toll on the squad. Will need min of 3 players for each slot to be effective on all fronts.

`'ve always thought of Guthrie as adequate cover, but it's not out of the realms of possibility for both Cabaye and Tiote to get injured/suspended simultaneously. They both like a booking. `

we have to start planning for a european campaign.(probably uefa cup)  Stoke and fulham have shown that it can be a heavy toll on the squad. Will need min of 3 players for each slot to be effective on all fronts.

33-man squad? I can think of at least 8 problems with that...

Loads of shit sites running with Cabaye and Tiote to Manu for £25m over past week, took no notice of them, doubt we'd sell either unless the amount was nearer £25m each, then we've no real choice.

Cabaye and Tiote should not be sold.

They look happy, and if they suddenly change their mind, and want to go to manu, we need to price them "right". No way we should accept anything less than £20m in todays market.

Also, i think Ashley can be right cunt to negotiate with. Both players have long contracts.

The Carroll sale made Ashley aware what sums we can demand for our top players.

Not sure why we seem to tag ourselves as this big selling club all of a sudden.

A stupid mega money offer for an unproven young kid who was/is meandering off the rails doesnt seem like such bad business, even though it hurt like hell at the time.

Unless mega offers come in, I feel confident we will only sell when it suits us.

A stupid mega money offer for an unproven young kid who was/is meandering off the rails doesnt seem like such bad business, even though it hurt like hell at the time.

Unless mega offers come in, I feel confident we will only sell when it suits us.

Same, I've been arguing this for ages. My only doubt is that there are clubs out there who can make Carroll-esque offers which are hard to turn down for any club. That's just football though.

We are on the course of finishing top 7 and with a bit of luck we may qualify for Champions League.  Ashley won't be daft enough to sell our best players unless the amount is even higher than the money we can earn in Europe.

I am not afraid of Man Utd to be honest.  What I am worrying at is Chelsea --- they desperately need someone to boss the midfield and both Tiote and Cabaye suits them.  A bid of 30m for each of them may come at Jan.

Same, I've been arguing this for ages. My only doubt is that there are clubs out there who can make Carroll-esque offers which are hard to turn down for any club. That's just football though.

Agree, i am not worried, but i can actually see top clubs throwing silly money at us for both Tiote and Cabaye in the future.

I am not afraid of Man Utd to be honest.  What I am worrying at is Chelsea --- they desperately need someone to boss the midfield and both Tiote and Cabaye suits them.  A bid of 30m for each of them may come at Jan.

same

was actually expecting a big bid from them for Tiote in the summer

Agree, i am not worried, but i can actually see top clubs throwing silly money at us for both Tiote and Cabaye in the future.

But unfortunately that is just the way football is. At some point it will happen.

Just got to hope that Graham Carr keeps the production line going at the other end.

Only 12 months ago we would have thought the end was nigh if lost Carrol, Barton, Nolan and Enrique....Yet here we are Third  :lol:

depends on entirely ashley's motives really, if he's running the club primarily to improve it on the pitch it doesn't matter if someone offers 20m+ each for them - he shouldn't be taking it imo as he's got something that works now, gambling on replacing them well again would be insane tbh

however if his motivation is to claw some money back he spent then there's only one way he'll do that really isn't there?  he'll do it a faster by selling 2 players that cost 8m or something for say 40m

suppose this would tell us if carroll was an honest anomaly or not (assuming there's any truth in it, which i doubt)

The hope I'm holding on to is that a mixture of the financial fair play rules and the government demanding that clubs sort their finances out will put an end to a lot of the big spending anyway.

I'd love to get back to the era of how football was under early Robson where the majority of clubs spent £10 million max a year and there wasn't really any big investors.

But unfortunately that is just the way football is. At some point it will happen.

Just got to hope that Graham Carr keeps the production line going at the other end.

Only 12 months ago we would have thought the end was nigh if lost Carrol, Barton, Nolan and Enrique....Yet here we are Third  :lol:

Good point.

But sooner or later we will not buy gold for the price of gravel.

As long as we get good players in, okay.

Carr have his work cut out form him :lol:

This. The Carroll-esque offers will always be a threat from the top clubs. But having sold Carroll and having not spent a fortune we're not in a position where we need to sell. Also the money gained from finishing higher up the league, potential european qualification revenue, higher attendances due to good football and winning (generating further money) are all reasons why the main players at the club need to be kept. And you'd like to think that this is what Ashley thinks/is being advised.

My hope is that rather than becoming a selling club we are becoming more like Tottenham in the way they do transfer business, in that if they don't want to sell a player it would take an obscene amount of money for them to agree to the deal.