NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

When did Cleverly become so highly rated? Has he played in the Premierleague yet?

He's playing for Man Utd. Even Owen suddenly became highly rated again once he left us.

Everyone is more highly rated once they leave us. Parker, Milner, Bramble, Duff... I could go on.

Yeah, and what about Martins, Cacapa, Edgar, Rozenahl, Faye, Faye 2, Dyer, Solano, Sibierski.... just a few transfers of the last few years that I thought of. They certainly weren't rated higher once they left us.

Point was, playing for Manchester United gives players a higher reputation even if they sometimes don't deserve it.

Getting slightly concerned the season is only a week away and we look no where near signing the quality required to survive.

How many signings did we expect to make though?

Fair point but we've signed Campbell who'll miss the start of the season, Gosling who's out until Christmas and Perch who isn't going to be the difference between relegation and surviving.

Guest Chubby Jason

Getting slightly concerned the season is only a week away and we look no where near signing the quality required to survive.

Very concerning, Ashley will no doubt be happy to gamble our Premier League status yet again, I really can't see us signing anyone else of considerable quality in this window.

Guest BooBoo

Agree with that. It's highly debatable whether we've made an improvement on the squad. I'm not sure Perch and Gosling are better than what we had. Campbell was a good signing but it's dependent on him getting and staying fit.

All in all to this point, we've quite clearly not addressed the two key areas we HAD to strengthen, ie a striker and a midfielder with more than one dimension.

When did Cleverly become so highly rated? Has he played in the Premierleague yet?

He's playing for Man Utd. Even Owen suddenly became highly rated again once he left us.

Everyone is more highly rated once they leave us. Parker, Milner, Bramble, Duff... I could go on.

The players you have mentioned all left in the last 5 years..perhaps that says more about the club than either the players or the media..!

Let's be honest - there is no doubting the fact that Milner has DEF become a better player at Villa for a variety of reasons and Parker is being kept by W.Ham...as for the other 2, Duff had a good SPELL at Fulham under Hodgson and Bramble...well, let's see how he does at the SOS !

Guest Chubby Jason

Agree with that. It's highly debatable whether we've made an improvement on the squad. I'm not sure Perch and Gosling are better than what we had. Campbell was a good signing but it's dependent on him getting and staying fit.

All in all to this point, we've quite clearly not addressed the two key areas we HAD to strengthen, ie a striker and a midfielder with more than one dimension.

Who needs vital singings when you've got great team spirit spurred on by amazing facial hair?

Guest Roger Kint

It's quite ridiculous the lack of strengthening of the squad. We desperately need quality players and we simply haven't signed any.

This for me. While the HBA thread stumbles towards 50 pages we are getting ever closer to effectively doing nothing of note this summer. So much for the head start eh Chris?

The players you have mentioned all left in the last 5 years..perhaps that says more about the club than either the players or the media..!

Let's be honest - there is no doubting the fact that Milner has DEF become a better player at Villa for a variety of reasons and Parker is being kept by W.Ham...as for the other 2, Duff had a good SPELL at Fulham under Hodgson and Bramble...well, let's see how he does at the SOS !

IMO all of those are very average players... yes Milner has improved, but we always knew he was better in the centre. He's certainly nowhere near as good as the media like to suggest.

Jesus, didn't realise we were so close. We are desperately needing a new CM. I know it's obvious but it's astounding that something hasn't been done about it.

Guess we may have to hope Guthrie has a blinder of a season. He's our only remotely creative CM.

I'm in agreement with the panickers, as oldtype calls them, tbh. But I think the quality centre forward is more important than yet another centre mid. Yes we are one dimensional there, but we have our creativity out wide, which will do for now. A proven goalscorer though, is what keeps teams out of trouble in this league, we're banking an awful lot on a unproven at this level Carroll (who hasn't scored this pre-season) and an over the hill Loven.

Guest Roger Kint

I'm in agreement with the panickers, as oldtype calls them, tbh. But I think the quality centre forward is more important than yet another centre mid. Yes we are one dimensional there, but we have our creativity out wide, which will do for now. A proven goalscorer though, is what keeps teams out of trouble in this league, we're banking an awful lot on a unproven at this level Carroll (who hasn't scored this pre-season) and an over the hill Loven.

I dont think 'panickers' is a fair label for anyone sensible enough to see the obvious imo haha

http://www.quenonino.com.uy/quenonino/tabid/37/idNoticia/25398/Pe%C3%B1arol/Default.aspx

"Egidio with one foot in England"

There has been a firm offer made for Egidio Arevalo Rios. This has came from Newcastle and the offer is up to 3m. The offer has came through Bentancur (Google search says he's a Peruvian businessman), who should be able to reach an agreement with the player's representatives.

Main bulk of the article says encouraging talks took place in the last few hours between this entrepreneur and Penarol owner, and that the only obstacle remaining is him negotiating with Arevalo's people to finalize the deal.

As I said before, is there any mention why his move to Cagliari fell through?

Can't find anything.

I asked about this rumour on a Uruguayan footie forum and they said it`s between us and Olympiakos. The above posted site is supposedly a fairly reliable one too.

Nolan's certainly got more than one dimension

Agree with this basically. A quality striker is going to be far more important this season than a CM, we do have Barton fit this season in any case. Quality strikers cost money though, and I can't see us spending the sort of cash needed to get one in. Ashley probably reckons he's already spent £6m on Xisco so that's job done in his eyes.

Guest BooBoo

I wonder how much Robbie Keane will go for, if indeed he leaves Spurs? If we offered Spurs £5million, Keane Nicky Butts old wages and a guaranteed starting roll then I'm sure we could be in with a shout of getting him.

#dreamland