NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I would rather have his experience at the club at present than not, when you consider the options available and the lack of funds to purchase someone better.

You know what i dont get, and im not being funny when i say this. But this whole experience thing. Shlola is clearly a shite premiership footballer. So lets say we are in a relegation battle next year, struggling to find the next win, how in the hell will shola's experience of being a shite premiership footballer help in any way??

i can understand if it was someone top class who knew how to win trophies etc, but what the fuck would sholas experience bring??

Macca, I dont think you can use goal stats from another division to prove or disprove a point, yes some players you mentioned from the Dutch league were prolific there and poor here, but then we can mention Drogba, who's record is not exactly great in France an inferior league in general to the Premier League, yet he is one of if not the best striker in the league and has been top quality since he arrived.

As a freebie I would say Boyd is worth a shout, he has an eye for goal, if we can give him chances who knows, players has some how got to develop, seeing as shola has been around since he was 18 in the 1st team albeit struggling with injuries at times I don't think we are going to get much more out of him not that we had too much in the 1st place.

Guest Brazilianbob

Whilst Shola's record over the past few years has been disappointing, I agree with Macca, I would much rather have Shola over Boyd.

Ok Shola's goal record doesn't seem great but most of his career he has had to play second fiddle to Shearer and Bellamy to name just two, then when he has been able to get into the team he has been unlucky to get bad injuries, mostly due to trying to come back too soon in order to keep his place in the first team.

At the start of last season I thought he looked terrific fitness wise and also with his all round play, and if it wasn't for injury he would have been our top goalscorer by a country mile last season.  I am looking forward to him getting fully fit in pre season training and making a big impact on the EPL next season, assuming of course he avoids further injuries!

Whilst Shola's record over the past few years has been disappointing, I agree with Macca, I would much rather have Shola over Boyd.

Ok Shola's goal record doesn't seem great but most of his career he has had to play second fiddle to Shearer and Bellamy to name just two, then when he has been able to get into the team he has been unlucky to get bad injuries, mostly due to trying to come back too soon in order to keep his place in the first team.

At the start of last season I thought he looked terrific fitness wise and also with his all round play, and if it wasn't for injury he would have been our top goalscorer by a country mile last season.  I am looking forward to him getting fully fit in pre season training and making a big impact on the EPL next season, assuming of course he avoids further injuries!

:lol:

There was only one time Shola was ever going to make anything like a 'big impact' on the Premier League for us, and that was Roeder's first full season in charge. He finished 05/06 like a racehorse, and then we signed Martins. But Shola had that hip problem and it practically finished him off. Roeder left, Owen returned to fitness, and all of a sudden Shola was fifth choice again. Always felt for him a bit after that, and getting a serious injury this season was rotten luck, too.

If someone comes in with a money offer i'd take it in an instant.

I didn't relise SWP was a free agent, and 28 aswell. He would be excellent for us but I can't see it, I can't see him wanting to come here, I can't see us trying to bring him ehre, and I can't see him taking a reduced pay check, they already reckon he has turned down £70k pw at City.

There was only one time Shola was ever going to make anything like a 'big impact' on the Premier League for us, and that was Roeder's first full season in charge. He finished 05/06 like a racehorse, and then we signed Martins. But Shola had that hip problem and it practically finished him off. Roeder left, Owen returned to fitness, and all of a sudden Shola was fifth choice again. Always felt for him a bit after that, and getting a serious injury this season was rotten luck, too.

Basically explains hios career at the club. He has always been second choice behind the likes of Shearer, Bellamy, Martins, Viduka, Owen and such but when called upon, he has usually come up with the goods. Injury has not been kind to him either and I feel the hip injury a few years ago was more dibilitating then anyone fully understood, possibly due to the fact that the lad played on when not fully fit whilst the club was in a crisis.

When I look at the players who people on here would possibly prefer to Shola who are playing for midtable PL clubs at present, I dont actually think they are better than him. I am talking about the likes of Beattie and Sidibe at Stoke, Roberts at Blackburn, Yakubu at Everton, Heskey at Villa, Benitez at Birmingham, Klasnic at Bolton etc etc. This is why I feel we are better off keeping him rather than spending ridiculous amounts of money on strikers who are no better than him. As for Boyd, I just dont rate the guy and feel he will be a total flop in the PL due to his lack of movement, pace and application.

I didn't relise SWP was a free agent, and 28 aswell. He would be excellent for us but I can't see it, I can't see him wanting to come here, I can't see us trying to bring him ehre, and I can't see him taking a reduced pay check, they already reckon he has turned down £70k pw at City.

hes not 2 years left iirc.

in other news apparently we're having trouble raising 5m for curtis davies

Basically explains hios career at the club. He has always been second choice behind the likes of Shearer, Bellamy, Martins, Viduka, Owen and such but when called upon, he has usually come up with the goods. Injury has not been kind to him either and I feel the hip injury a few years ago was more dibilitating then anyone fully understood, possibly due to the fact that the lad played on when not fully fit whilst the club was in a crisis.

When I look at the players who people on here would possibly prefer to Shola who are playing for midtable PL clubs at present, I dont actually think they are better than him. I am talking about the likes of Beattie and Sidibe at Stoke, Roberts at Blackburn, Yakubu at Everton, Heskey at Villa, Benitez at Birmingham, Klasnic at Bolton etc etc. This is why I feel we are better off keeping him rather than spending ridiculous amounts of money on strikers who are no better than him. As for Boyd, I just dont rate the guy and feel he will be a total flop in the PL due to his lack of movement, pace and application.

Macca, I dont think you can use goal stats from another division to prove or disprove a point, yes some players you mentioned from the Dutch league were prolific there and poor here, but then we can mention Drogba, who's record is not exactly great in France an inferior league in general to the Premier League, yet he is one of if not the best striker in the league and has been top quality since he arrived.

As a freebie I would say Boyd is worth a shout, he has an eye for goal, if we can give him chances who knows, players has some how got to develop, seeing as shola has been around since he was 18 in the 1st team albeit struggling with injuries at times I don't think we are going to get much more out of him not that we had too much in the 1st place.

Some fair comments but some things you may want to consider.

firstly, regarding Boyd. He was the central player in the side that laid chances on a plate for him against opposition that wouldnt get a snif in Legue 1, never mind the PL or the CCC. His record against top teams in the SPL, Europe and in Internationals is abysmal. He is not going to get the same service in the PL as he gets in Scotland and he will be playing against much more superior defenders than he has played against in his career before. He is not particular good in the air, not very mobile and lacks vision. I remember James McFadden came down from Scotland with a very good rep but failed as a forward although he had the ability to convert to a more winger/midfield role. Boyd has no such ability to change. If he is starved of service, which he will be, he will fail because he does not have the ability to create his own openings and needs chances put on a plate for him. That is why, in my opinion, Boyd, even on a free, is not worth spending the 30K a week is demanding.

Shola has been unlucky. Yes, most fans berate him, mostly because of his style, but over his career, due to injuries, playing second fiddle, played out of position (on the left wing by Souness), and attempts to farm the lad off to the likes of Stoke and Ipswich, he has never really had a consistent run in the senior side other than the period under Roeder wshen he was brilliant.

As Brazilian Bob said before, at the start of last season, Shola looked as fit as he has ever been and started off like a bomb. Broken feet are shocking injuries to rcover from as we have already experienced with Own and Barton but he has come back and scored goals, something like 11 in 21 games, several of which were substitute appearances. If he can get back to that level of fitness in the next pre season, Shola will be more of an asset than a liability to our squad, which is already undermanned for a tough season ahead.

In my opinion, we need to keep Shola and stay well away from Boyd, who, in my opinion, is looking for a big pay day, something we are now fortunately trying to avoid.

Guest geordienorway

Linked with Toifilou Maoulida in the French press. He is a striker currently playing for Lens, but he is getting on a bit. 30 years old and has never been playing outside Ligue 1. The fee mentioned is 2,5 million euros.

Guest orang

Ameobi better than Yakubu???

Guest neesy111

Linked with Toifilou Maoulida in the French press. He is a striker currently playing for Lens, but he is getting on a bit. 30 years old and has never been playing outside Ligue 1. The fee mentioned is 2,5 million euros.

That wouldn't fit into our transfer policy

Guest geordienorway

That wouldn't fit into our transfer policy

Loan move maybe? He had an incredible scoring ratio in the Ligue 1 this season, 1 goal every 130 minutes. Gignac had 1 goal in 335 minutes.

This was denied by Chris Hughton in one of the Chronicle articles yesterday

Guest Roger Kint

Klasnic, Yakubu, Heskey, Roberts, Beattie and Yakubu are all better players, especially the Yak.

In your opinion.

So, how are you going to prove it then?

Would imagine by pointing out all have scored well in excess of 42 top flight goals in their careers is a decent starting point :pow:

Moving away from who is better than who, shola is a crock who cannot be relied upon. Sell him to boost the transfer coffers and sign someone like harewood or Roberts on a free. I bet the wages would be very similar too.

Klasnic, Yakubu, Heskey, Roberts, Beattie and Yakubu are all better players, especially the Yak.

In your opinion.

So, how are you going to prove it then?

Would imagine by pointing out all have scored well in excess of 42 top flight goals in their careers is a decent starting point :pow:

As a good starting point, how are they all faring NOW?

My point is which seems to have escaped you  is that, next season, IMO, I dont think any of those players listed above will perform any better than Shola can for us. Most of them are not even wanted by their respective clubs anyway.

Furthermore, for the majority of their careers in the PL, the likes of Yakubu, Beattie, Roberts etc have b een first choice for their respective c;lubs, something which Ameobi clearly has not b een. Yet, he has still scored goals regularly when started.

However, I wouldnt expect you to agree so it is pointless discussing the matter further.

We've been linked again with Ebundo, Tolouse left back. Past 3 seasons i think we've been linked with him. However, he is now available on a free transfer.

He's a right back.

Looking to drop Simpson to the bench, maybe?