NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

So according to Douglas:

Taylor is imminent

Barnetta is the furthest progressed from the rest

We're still haggling over Erding and Matuidi

If we somehow got all four I'd be chuffed

Same.

£20m for a player with half a good season under his belt, ouch. And I thought the Carroll deal was bad.

What £35 million for a player with half a good season?

Exactly. Its the same situation really, at least Liverpool can obviously afford it, we can't, this money goes and we've got nowt apart from what we make.

Point 1 .Liverpool are in huge debt regardless of there spending .

point 2.We can afford it from the Carroll money but not all on one player including his wages .

Liverpool are gambling to get back where they once where and it may pay off but could blow up in there faces and i hope it does .

£20m for a player with half a good season under his belt, ouch. And I thought the Carroll deal was bad.

What £35 million for a player with half a good season?

That was my reaction. :lol:

If we take the Liverpool model of Torres = £50m so Carroll = £35m (I know he was crap for Chelsea), then if Carroll = £35m, Sturridge is easily £20m.

Not everybody has £20million to throw at young strikers though, so you can't really go by Liverpool's crazy money for Carroll. The only club I can think of who might pay it are Tottenham if they sell Modric. Even then I think they would prefer not to pay a premium price for someone like Sturridge because £20million probably buys you a top class star abroad.

I don't know, my opinion is Sturridge is as good a striker as Carroll in his own right, and both are probably in the £18-20m bracket.

I wouldn't disagree that he's as good but I just doubt that there's a club out there that will spend £20million on Sturridge.

Guest guinness_fiend

I don't know, my opinion is Sturridge is as good a striker as Carroll in his own right, and both are probably in the £18-20m bracket.

I wouldn't disagree that he's as good but I just doubt that there's a club out there that will spend £20million on Sturridge.

If Henderson is worth £20m, then Sturridge isn't far off.  He is class.

But not every club is like Liverpool and going to throw that sort of money around. How many are even capable of it?

I honestly think Sturridge is the best of any the young English players coming through. He's quick, has excellent movement, can dribble, great technique, creative and has an eye for goal. The very fact that it's a possibility Chelsea could sell him is crazy on their part IMO.

Edit: Apart from Wilshere, but he's full first team now.

Guest guinness_fiend

But not every club is like Liverpool and going to throw that sort of money around. How many are even capable of it?

In the Premiership?  Every one that is owned by a billionaire or is reliant upon debt finance.

I don't mean to be awkward, as I appreciate that English players are typically over-priced, but Sturridge looks an awesome prospect and, at the moment anyway, would look a very good investment for the future.  The problem that I envisage us having is attracting superstar (and proven) strikers to the club.  Personally, I do not want to get lumbered with someone like Berbatov, who is approaching the end of his career and who didn't even look interested at Manchester United (other than during the two or three games where he ran riot).

I'd rather go for a younger (and hungrier) striker and the boy Sturridge would fit the bill.  Not that he'd come here in a million years, like :lol:

I honestly think Sturridge is the best of any the young English players coming through. He's quick, has excellent movement, can dribble, great technique, creative and has an eye for goal. The very fact that it's a possibility Chelsea could sell him is crazy on their part IMO.

Edit: Apart from Wilshere, but he's full first team now.

agreed, he looks a class above the other under 21s, and there's some expensive players in that squad. Sturridge is also quite versatile and has played in wide forward positions, so would give us another option up front. he ticks all the boxes in terms of youth, nationality, quality, potential etc and would be my ideal signing.

In the Premiership?  Every one that is owned by a billionaire or is reliant upon debt finance.

I don't mean to be awkward, as I appreciate that English players are typically over-priced, but Sturridge looks an awesome prospect and, at the moment anyway, would look a very good investment for the future.  The problem that I envisage us having is attracting superstar (and proven) strikers to the club.  Personally, I do not want to get lumbered with someone like Berbatov, who is approaching the end of his career and who didn't even look interested at Manchester United (other than during the two or three games where he ran riot).

I'd rather go for a younger (and hungrier) striker and the boy Sturridge would fit the bill.  Not that he'd come here in a million years, like :lol:

IMO there are only the top 4 clubs who are capable of paying £20million for a striker and I don't think they would buy Sturridge. After that there is Liverpool who have already blown their load, and then us or Spurs who have got the money to buy him. Can't see Ashley going for it so that leaves Spurs if they sell Modric.

Guest guinness_fiend

We can surely get a more reliable/proven striker than Sturridge for £20 million.

Who do you have in mind?

IMO there are only the top 4 clubs who are capable of paying £20million for a striker and I don't think they would buy Sturridge. After that there is Liverpool who have already blown their load, and then us or Spurs who have got the money to buy him. Can't see Ashley going for it so that leaves Spurs if they sell Modric.

You're right there like, I could never see one of the top four buying Sturridge. :lol:

I don't think Mike would refuse to pay £20M for a player if it was very likely a future sale would be a huge profit.

i do

Quote the rest to put my point into context :pow:

:lol:

didn't see the point as that was a crazy thing to say, when has a player signed for 20m ever been guaranteed to make a profit?

You're right there like, I could never see one of the top four buying Sturridge. :lol:

Which of them do you think will then?

Father time will catch up with Drogba sooner rather than later. This coming season could well be his last meaningful season. 

I can only see Sturridge going out on loan next season.

Depends whether they sign somebody stupid this season.

Which of them do you think will then?

I think one of them already did mate.