NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Upson, erdinc and Zog would wrap up a great window

We need to steer WELL clear of upson. He's past it, why would you want him?

If erdinc is signed, I see us signing a left back and that's it. It's all up to Jose staying or not.

Free

Need another Centre back

England international.

Yeah, because that makes him brilliant.

I think it's pretty telling that hasn't been picked up by anyone saying that I'd take him as a 4th choice and send Kadar out on loan. Can't imagine he'd come on cheap wages though or want to come in as a reserve.

I'm still hopeful we've got another Bassong type signing up our sleeve, but it's getting late in the day for another situation like that. We definitely need another central defender.

I'm still hopeful we've got another Bassong type signing up our sleeve, but it's getting late in the day for another situation like that. We definitely need another central defender.

Completely agree, a younng, relatively inexperienced defender who will third/fourth choice, but hungry to play alongside Colo. The same Colo, who will probably go the summer after next, if not next summer.

I think if we do buy a defender it'll be an under the radar signing as N.Taylor aside I don't recall us being linked with any.

There was that Nathaniel Clyne (Palace RB) link a couple of weeks back, which is the sort of signing I would hope we're looking at for LB/CB as well.

If there's one thing we have got quite adept at in the market it's keeping things quiet, although this summer hasn't been as sneaky as the previous was.

I think if we do buy a defender it'll be an under the radar signing as N.Taylor aside I don't recall us being linked with any.

There was that Nathaniel Clyne (Palace RB) link a couple of weeks back, which is the sort of signing I would hope we're looking at for LB/CB as well.

If there's one thing we have got quite adept at in the market it's keeping things quiet, although this summer hasn't been as sneaky as the previous was.

Is that not down to the players we've gone for having release fee clauses and all that rather than just being more straight forward transfers?

Had forgotten about Clyne, he's one I wouldn't mind in and would fit the young and cheap ethos.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think mehdi could be this seasons bassong

It seems the guys that have been fed stuff have been the local media guys, which I'm not sure is a bad thing. Marveaux and Cabaye was done on the quiet, but it was obvious that Ba's agent was hawking him around all over the place so there was no way that was going to happen on the quiet.

Is that not down to the players we've gone for having release fee clauses and all that rather than just being more straight forward transfers?

Had forgotten about Clyne, he's one I wouldn't mind in and would fit the young and cheap ethos.

Quite possibly. I may be being typically naive here, but I can't believe Graham Carr's work this year has led to Cabaye, Marveaux, Erdinc/Gameiro and nothing else. Surely they've been preparing to replace Sol Campbell for months, for example, while being fully aware of the lack of adequate cover in both fullback positions as well?

I know people have written the Neil Taylor interest off as opportunism given his circumstances (understandable given our other business), but there must be continental targets as well.

Yiu

Quite possibly. I may be being typically naive here, but I can't believe Graham Carr's work this year has led to Cabaye, Marveaux, Erdinc/Gameiro and nothing else. Surely they've been preparing to replace Sol Campbell for months, for example, while being fully aware of the lack of adequate cover in both fullback positions as well?

I know people have written the Neil Taylor interest off as opportunism given his circumstances (understandable given our other business), but there must be continental targets as well.

You'd like to think so but of course but I think they've prioritised the areas they want plays in first, a ball playing midfielder and forwards and want to get them in and sorted before seeing whats left in the pot for the defence which we could probably just about get by with plus the whole Enrique uncertainty thing is probably playing into this too.

Plus of course we don't know who we've been scouted that has already moved early on in the window or perhaps they've seen something in Tavernier or Kadar that's made them think they're worth a go with the first team squad.

I think mehdi could be this seasons bassong

Bit of a disconnect from the actual discussion like (wanting a young central defender to come in and challenge Taylor/Williamson to partner Coloccini), but I hope you're right nonetheless in terms of him being a surprise package. I'd prefer it if Cabaye/Tiote just stayed fit and available for most of the season, so it didn't come to him needing to become a regular first-teamer just yet. Certainly wouldn't hurt us if he was good enough to push ahead of Guthrie in the pecking order, though.

Tiote will pick up suspensions and there'll be rotation for cup games and probably injuries. What with Guthrie's generally naff fitness record, and the shitness of Smith, I think we'll be seeing a fair bit of Abeid.

Pardew hopes for star signings

St James' Park boss does not want to be left without squad cover

Last Updated: July 25, 2011 10:32am

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew hopes to sign at least one more 'big player' in the transfer window.

The St James' Park boss has already brought in Demba Ba, Sylvain Marveaux, Yohan Cabaye and Mehdi Abeid this summer, but he remains keen to continue to remodel the squad he inherited from Chris Hughton.

A replacement for unsettled full-back Jose Enrique, who has one year left on his contract and wants to leave, is a possibility, especially after the Spaniard's Twitter rant on Sunday night while the club is on a pre-season tour of America.

Pardew is also known to want another striker and has been chasing Paris Saint Germain's Mevlut Erding for the majority of the summer.

Newcastle's manager does not want to be left short of options when the transfer window closes at the end of August, which particularly applies to Enrique's situation, and he is optimistic about signing cover.

Business

Asked about Enrique, Pardew told The Journal: "As a manager, of course I want him to stay. The worst thing for us would be if he went late, that's the problem.

"We are trying to do some business because we need to cover ourselves in that area between now and the end of the window regardless of Enrique.

"I am confident well get at least one, and maybe two, big players in here."

Midfielder Joey Barton was linked with Manchester United over the weekend, but the former Manchester City man is determined to stay with Newcastle, despite failing to agree an extension to the remaining 12 months of his contract.

Pardew said: "I think Joey will be here. He has said all along that he wants to stay and I want him to stay, so there is no conflict there."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7060623,00.html

Perfectly normal manager comments TBH, don't see anything wrong with that. Obviously he wants Enrique to stay, and we might well sign a couple more players. And Joey does seem intent on staying, so I don't see what is 'BS' about it.

Just don't believe a word the bloke says. He says what he's told to say by the people who pay his wages.

Enrique will go soon and Tiote, Coloccini and Ben Arfa will follow him soon enough.