NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

The talk of Pavlyuchenko just suggests to me there are no real live targets any more. I think we'll probably stick with the strike force we've got using the pretext that we won't buy for the sake of it. If we can't buy the strikers we want we won't settle for second best etc.

What if it were a smokescreen as this regime has tended to use them in the past.

I did consider that but my gut feeling is that we have run out of ideas. Also signing Ba probably has taken some of the urgency out of the chase for finding another striker. Best was put up for sale but he's still here again leads to the suspicion that we won't buy until we sell in that position. Just little clues which lead to the conclusion the search isn't as urgent as it could be for me.

Best wasn't actually put up for sale was he?

I think it was probably just paper talk now you mention it. A swap deal was mentioned with Shane Long back in the day he was a target.

Meh, Toivonen has looked pretty average every time I have seen him. I would rather get Lens if you are to fish from that lot, although he probably wouldn't come as cheap.

He's a tall striker, not as slow as you might figure but not particularly mobile.

Meh, Toivonen has looked pretty average every time I have seen him. I would rather get Lens if you are to fish from that lot, although he probably wouldn't come as cheap.

Saw Lens in the Europa League against Benfica previous season. Pretty average if you ask me..Physical and quick, but his technique is not at all good enough for PL. He was pretty much invisible the two matches I saw . His partner on the left wing, Balázs Dzsudzsák, was on the other hand very good..Quick, good technique, hard working and his contributions into the box were also great. He's now playing for the Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala btw..

Saw Lens in the Europa League against Benfica previous season. Pretty average if you ask me..Physical and quick, but his technique is not at all good enough for PL. He was pretty much invisible the two matches I saw . His partner on the left wing, Balázs Dzsudzsák, was on the other hand very good..Quick, good technique, hard working and his contributions into the box were also great. He's now playing for the Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala btw..

Oh, Dzsudzsák I like a lot, although he's not that productive as his general play should enable him to be. But he's ungettable right now.

I wonder when one of those oligarch-fueled Russian clubs is going to leave a mark in the CL.

Regarding the Ola Toivonen link. Just realised this is the final year of his contract  :shifty:

Never seen him play. How is he? Is he quick? Because we need some speed in attack..

Toivonen is a good player. 6'3" tall and with good technique. He isn't a speed merchant but isn't slow either. He's really good at holding up the ball and playing in other players. But he's still a pretty good goalscorer as well. Would fit us really well IMO.

And as a bonus he's from my part of Sweden as well. And for that alone I'd want him at Newcastle.

From the Enrique story in the Chronicle......

Pardew will hope that an influx of signings this week can sway the former La Liga star’s mind, with lack of player investment one of the main concerns of the ex-Villareal ace

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/08/08/nufc-manager-backs-jose-enrique-to-stay-72703-29196435/#ixzz1UR4xFc3P

Ola Toivonen Pursued Newcastle United

Tribunnews.com - Monday, August 8, 2011 18:55 AM

TRIBUNNEWS.COM, Eindhoven - PSV Eindhoven striker, Ola Toivonen, became the main prey Newcatsle United's manager, Alan Pardew. As reported by the Daily Mail, Pardew watched Toivonen direct action when PSV beat AZ Alkmaar in the Eredivisie first week (06/08/2011).

Pardew calls Toivonen chance to hook the open after the Swedish striker's expressed desire to leave and seek new challenges. As is known Toivonen had dressed PSV since 2009. From 75 appearances in the Eredivisie, he has collected 34 goals.

"As a Swede, Toivonen no need berdaptasi too long with English football. So far, players from Scandinavia is very suitable to play here. On the one hand, Toivonen will be very fit to play in Newcastle. He can replace the role of Andy Carroll. Style of play and similar posture, "said Pardew told the Daily Mail.

http://www.tribunnews.com/2011/08/08/ola-toivonen-diburu-newcastle-united

Guest sicko2ndbest

Eh, where were those comments?

Only place I have seen them is in that article.. that paper may be the Dutch version of the sport

:D

Double Dutch more like!

Eh, where were those comments?

Only place I have seen them is in that article.. that paper may be the Dutch version of the sport

:D

Double Dutch more like!

It's an Indonesian paper, isn't it?

Yep, from Kuta Beach.