Steven Taylor back soon

Guest palnese

I think if Taylor had not been injured he proberbly would been called up to the England squad, at least the top 30.

I agree  :thup:

Erm..... no

'the f*** you noing at?  :lol:

Its a bit of outrageous statement, he hasn't proven himself at any decent level to be even close to being a thought. I like him, he'll challenge soon I reckon, but definitely not now

He was by far our best defender excluding Enrique last time we were in the Premier League,

That was Bassong

I think if Taylor had not been injured he proberbly would been called up to the England squad, at least the top 30.

Erm..... no

Its a bit of outrageous statement, he hasn't proven himself at any decent level to be even close to being a thought. I like him, he'll challenge soon I reckon, but definitely not now

He was by far our best defender excluding Enrique last time we were in the Premier League,

He wasnt like mate. Bassong, Beye and Enrique were all better than him last season. Thats 3 of the back 4. He was a little less shit than Coloccini but still certainly not good enough last time around in the PL.

Second half of the season Bassong was terrible, so many needless fouls and lapses in concentration.

Beye was pretty poor all season as well, never got going after injury.

Enrique was solid as ever, in fact our only defender playing to premiership ability.

Second half of the season Bassong was terrible, so many needless fouls and lapses in concentration.

Enrique was solid as ever, in fact our only defender playing to premiership ability.

Beye was not poor all season, and Bassong was never terrible.

Enrique was no where near as good as he was this season either.

I'd say they were all much of a similarity, the only one with a notable decline was probably Coloccini.

Erm..... no

He had good games against Arsenal and Boro, that's all I can say that's positive.

How was Bassong terrible? He was quite comfortably our best centre half that season, even in the second half.

Taylor also played his best games when playing at full-back, although at times he was a liability trying to be the hero, mainly the Man Utd and Liverpool home games. He was very lucky not to be sent off in both.

I wouldn't say Beye was poor, he wasn't up to the high standards he had previously set, I was impressed with him when he played in the centre though.

The best bit about Bassong as well was he disproved the myth people had been peddling about Taylor for years, as in it was his colleagues holding him back. Even though he'd played over 100 games for us, the old inexperienced cliché was still being knocked out.

Guest BooBoo

Bassong was quality for the first 3/4 of the season and trhen seemingly just lost a bit of hope. He made quite a few notable mistakes in the run in. Beye was hampered by injury but generally I thought he was a pale shadow of the man who played so well for us in 2007/8.

• 2 weeks later...

Triple S is Shep, Shep jnr & Stretford love to see them waltz into SJP for contract talks. Also saying Krul is going to sign a new deal.

Roy Hodgson has earmarked Newcastle United’s Steve Taylor as one of the players around whom he wants to rebuild Liverpool’s defence.

The new Anfield boss will also go back to Craven ­Cottage with a £7million bid land his impressive former central defender Hangeland, who has been regularly linked with Arsenal.

Hodgson believes his close relationship with the 29-year-old Norwegian could help lure him to Liverpool – and the fact that he brought Swiss international centre-back Philippe Senderos to Craven Cottage in one of his last acts as Fulham boss will also strengthen his hand. Hodgson is lining up a £5m bid for former England Under-21 skipper Taylor, who has just entered the final year of his contract at St James’ Park.

LMA Manager of the Year Hodgson is a long-standing admirer of 24-year-old Taylor and is poised to test Newcastle’s resolve to hang on to the much-coveted defender.

Sunday Mirror Sport can reveal that initial talks have taken place between Taylor’s representatives, the Triple S agency, and Newcastle over a new contract and a three- to four-year deal is now on the table.

But Taylor will not commit himself until he knows what Newcastle’s squad strengthening plans are for the Premier League campaign.

Taylor’s future on Tyneside has been shrouded in doubt since he suffered a double fracture of the jaw after a training ground incident involving Magpies striker Andy Carroll late last season.

The differences between the pair have been resolved, but a host of top clubs including Arsenal, Aston Villa and ­Chelsea have been eyeing ­Taylor and Hodgson also showed an interest in him ­during his spell at Fulham.

And, despite Newcastle’s insistence that they want to keep Taylor, the odds on him heading for pastures new have significantly increased as top clubs try to sign players who have come through the English academy system as UEFA’s home-grown quota system looms in August.

Leading managers such as Hodgson, Arsene Wenger, Martin O’Neill and Carlo Ancelotti are all keen to boost their English presence and that has made Taylor a hot property.

Championship winners Newcastle’s public admission that they won’t be lashing out on transfer fees is bound to affect Taylor’s thinking as he weighs up his future.

To keep Taylor on Tyneside long-term, Hughton needs to offer an attractive new, long-term contract this summer and Newcastle’s financial plight makes that almost mission impossible.

Newcastle have imposed a wage cap of about £30,000 a week and it is understood Taylor already earns that kind of money. Newcastle don’t appear to have a lot of negotiating room.

Taylor returned from a holiday in the USA and the Bahamas last week and is scheduled to have a plate removed from his jaw this week.

Newcastle know Taylor could ignore any offer, sit tight, run down his contract and sign a pre-contract deal with Liverpool or any other club in January. It wouldn’t be good business sense for Newcastle and owner Mike Ashley could decide it would make more sense to get a fee for a player who has been rated in the £8m-10m bracket than let him go for nothing.

Meanwhile, Dutch reserve keeper Tim Krul is ready to pen a new four-year dea

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/clubs/premier-league/Transfer-news-Roy-Hodgson-wants-Newcastle-s-Steven-Taylor-at-Liverpool-article512831.html#ixzz0sfKPTul7

Great how they quote the lack of money as one of the reasons for Taylor, an average Premier League centre-back to want to leave, then right at the bottom say one of the most highly-rated young keepers in Europe is prepared to sign a 4-year deal. :lol:

Great how they quote the lack of money as one of the reasons for Taylor, an average Premier League centre-back to want to leave, then right at the bottom say one of the most highly-rated young keepers in Europe is prepared to sign a 4-year deal. :lol:

That would be because the contract Krul would/is going to sign will be nowhere near what Taylor is on or will be offered.

That would be because the contract Krul would/is going to sign will be nowhere near what Taylor is on or will be offered.

Has the same length contract (I think), and has a pick of clubs from around Europe who'd have him in a flash. I just find it amusing they're saying it's ambition that would make Taylor not sign a contract, and yet a player with just as good, if not an even better future ahead, is about to sign a long-term deal.

Has the same length contract (I think), and has a pick of clubs from around Europe who'd have him in a flash. I just find it amusing they're saying it's ambition that would make Taylor not sign a contract, and yet a player with just as good, if not an even better future ahead, is about to sign a long-term deal.

Eh? If both players had similar experiences then fair enough, but how many Premier League games has Taylor played compared to Krul? Why the comparison? Both situations are totally different.

You'd think they'd both have similar ambitions in the next 3-4 years wouldn't you? Yet the same article says one is wanting to leave because of lack of ambition, yet the other is preparing to stay another 4 years.

One hasn't broken in to the first team, the other has been there for four to five years, their ambitions are totally different. One would be buzzing to get 5 league games next season, the other already has 5 years experience behind him and could move on to bigger clubs and still feature in and around their first team.

So no, not at all.

You'd think they'd both have similar ambitions in the next 3-4 years wouldn't you? Yet the same article says one is wanting to leave because of lack of ambition, yet the other is preparing to stay another 4 years.

One hasn't broken in to the first team, the other has been there for four to five years, their ambitions are totally different. One would be buzzing to get 5 league games next season, the other already has 5 years experience behind him and could move on to bigger clubs and still feature in and around their first team.

So no, not at all.

That's my point though. Next season, yes that's true, but in 2-3 years time, certainly not.

Steven Taylor's reputation is a perfect example of the effectiveness of media manipulation.

that and hes english which means his ability gets hyped up another notch and apparently journos don't read the new squad regulations or they'd realise nationality doesnt come into play on the homegrown rule and every single club in the prem qualifies as it stands iirc