World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

It also appears Nigeria have decided midfielders and forwards need not be differentiated, so expect a 4-0-6 formation from the Super Eagles, with Etuhu being the key striker.

:lol: I know the list is a typo, but at some point over the last ten years Nigeria stopped producing wingers, so we always bring a massive amount of strikers.

I'm quite happy with the squad. It looks like Lagerback is actually selecting the best players and those that are in form whihc has been shockingly rare in the past. I see that Onuoha and Aogo aren't on the list. I thought both could have been helpful as depth at least, but honestly to hell with them, and to hell with all these African players who only want to play for African teams when the White nations don't come calling. The Kanu situation is worrying though. I love him, and he's my favorite athlete throughout childhood, but he's finished and probaly shouldn't have a spot even in the 30.

Is it true Nigeria have named 11 strikers in their squad ?  :lol:

From my count, we have 12 players that play as forwards for their clubs, but several of these players are versatile and will be utilised by Nigeria as wingers, wide forwards, or attacking midfielders.

Maradona apparently sent in the squad way later than the deadline. Sometimes I wonder if Argentina will even turn up at the right ground come June. Hope Colo gets into the last 23, Jonas is a given.

Can't believe he left out Cambiasso.

You could name a pretty strong team from the players being left out. The likes of Diego, Pato, Totti, Ronaldinho, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Young, Milito, Nasri, Benzema, etc.

That would be a fun exercise, actually.

Palop          

Zanetti  G. Milito XXXX  José Enrique

Nasri Cambiasso Arteta Young

Benzema Pato

Need another CB, and probably a different goalie (Palop's good but hardly a surprise he's been left out).

I don't see Mexes in the France squad. Injured or left out?

Look no further than Colo!

He's in their 30-man squad, man.

ffs has he not announced the final squad yet? Crazy argentine b******.

Who has announced their final squad?

The Colocinni thread has confused me.

Disregard this, I suck cocks.

think it's already been posted but anyways.........some odd inclusions in the Brasil squad (Doni, Melo, Grafite have all been poor for their club sides) but glad to see Dunga sticking to his guns and not bowing to media pressure (far worse than it is here) and not including the overhyped Neymar (he is not the 2nd coming of Pele)

These are the backups:

Diego Tardelli (Atletico-MG)

Sandro (Internacional)

Carlos Eduardo (Hoffenheim)

Ronaldinho Gaucho (Milan)

Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos)

Marcelo (Real Madrid)

Alex (Chelsea)

http://s.glbimg.com/es/ge/f/original/2010/05/11/album_selecao_3.jpg

I'm somewhat surprised to see Julio Baptista make the squad. Guess I should watch more Calcio, how has he been for Roma this year?

not surprised at all. He's a bit of a favorite of Dunga's as he can play in midfield and attack , and has always been in Dunga's squads (took him to the Gold Cup and Copa America). He also happens to be dating Dunga's daughter (a la Aguero and Maradona's daughter)

I'm somewhat surprised to see Julio Baptista make the squad. Guess I should watch more Calcio, how has he been for Roma this year?

not surprised at all. He's a bit of a favorite of Dunga's (took him to Gold Cup/Copa America)as he can play in midfield and attack , and has always been in Dunga's squads. He also happens to be dating Dunga's daughter (a la Aguero and Maradona's daughter)

Aha! Cherchez la femme indeed.

think it's already been posted but anyways.........some odd inclusions in the Brasil squad (Doni, Melo, Grafite have all been poor for their club sides) but glad to see Dunga sticking to his guns and not bowing to media pressure (far worse than it is here) and not including the overhyped Neymar (he is not the 2nd coming of Pele)

These are the backups:

Sandro (Internacional)

Marcelo (Real Madrid)

Alex (Chelsea)

http://s.glbimg.com/es/ge/f/original/2010/05/11/album_selecao_3.jpg

I would have Marcelo over Bastos, Ganso over Kleberson or Josue and thats all to be honest.

The rest are expected and while i dislike Melo and Gilberto and there are 100 players who are better than them, they really do play well for the national side and have rarely let us down.

These are the backups:

Sandro (Internacional)

Marcelo (Real Madrid)

Alex (Chelsea)

I would have Marcelo over Bastos, Ganso over Kleberson or Josue and thats all to be honest.

The rest are expected and while i dislike Melo and Gilberto and there are 100 players who are better than them, they really do play well for the national side and have rarely let us down.

Agree with that.....Bastos is great going forward but very poor defensively which is why he plays left midfield for Lyon (and before Lille) so Marcelo would be a more adequate left back. I read Gilberto has been playing as a number 10 type sometimes for his club side  :yikes:

As for Ganso....wow looks a top class playmaker in the making...something that Brasil have been lacking in producing for quite a long time now.

These are the backups:

Sandro (Internacional)

Marcelo (Real Madrid)

Alex (Chelsea)

Agree with that.....Bastos is great going forward but very poor defensively which is why he plays left midfield for Lyon (and before Lille) so Marcelo would be a more adequate left back. I read Gilberto has been playing as a number 10 type sometimes for his club side  :yikes:

As for Ganso....wow looks a top class playmaker in the making...something that Brasil have been lacking in producing for quite a long time now.

To be fair, Marcelo is an absolte liability at LB aswell.

Lovenkrands not going to the World Cup is a disgrace.  :-[

So Lovenkrands losing his father and choosing to spend the summer with his family so he can focus on the new season in the PL with us is a disgrace?  :undecided:

Guest schmuck

Lovenkrands not going to the World Cup is a disgrace.  :-[

So Lovenkrands losing his father and choosing to spend the summer with his family so he can focus on the new season in the PL with us is a disgrace?  :undecided:

Yes because that's clearly what he meant