World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

not sure but i don't think italy had any overseas players in their 2006 squad

Indeed, only they and Saudi Arabia had completely home-based squads. Saudi Arabians do get flogged if they go out of the country like.

Guest geordienorway

Italy (prelim 30)

Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli), Federico Marchetti (Cagliari), Salvatore Sirigu (Palermo);

Gianluca Zambrotta (AC Milan), Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Christian Maggio (Napoli), Leonardo Bonucci (Bari), Fabio Grosso (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Mattia Cassani (Palermo), Salvatore Bocchetti (Genoa);

Andrea Pirlo (Milan), Gennaro Gattuso (Milan), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina), Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria), Antonio Candreva (Juventus), Andrea Cossu (Cagliari), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Simone Pepe (Udinese);

Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli), Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus), Antonio Di Natale (Udinese), Marco Borriello (Milan), Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria).

Wow that's 29 out of 30 playing in the Italian league. 

Not as impressive as Engerland.

England has the best league in the world though. Rarely a reason for the best players to go abroad.

North Korea squad...

Kim Myong Gil (Amrokgang), Kim Myong Won (Amrokgang), Ri Myong Guk (Pyongyang City), An Chol Hyok (Rimyongsu), An Yong Hak (Omiya Ardija), Cha Jong Hyok (Amrokgang), Choe Kum Chol (April 25), Hong Yong Jo (FK Rostov), Ji Yun Nam (April 25), Jong Tae Se (Kawasaki Frontale), Kim Kum Il (April 25), Kim Kyong Il (Rimyongsu), Kim Yong Jun (Pyongyang City), Mun In Guk (April 25), Nam Song Chol (April 25), Pak Chol Jin (Amrokgang), Pak Nam Chol (April 25), Pak Nam Chol (Amrokgang), Pak Sung Hyok (Sobaeksu), Ri Chol Myong (Pyongyang City), Ri Jun Il (Sobaeksu), Ri Kwang Chon (April 25), Ri Kwang Hyok (Koynggongop).

Danish team

Jesper Christiansen FC København

Kim Christensen IFK Göteborg

Stephan Andersen Brøndby IF

Thomas Sørensen Stoke City FC

Daniel Agger Liverpool FC

Lars Jacobsen Blackburn Rovers FC

Patrick Mtiliga Malaga CF

Per Krøldrup ACF Fiorentina

Simon Busk Poulsen AZ Alkmaar

Simon Kjær US Città di Palermo

William Kvist Jørgensen FC København

Christian Bjørnshøj Poulsen        Juventus FC

Christian D. Eriksen AFC Ajax

Daniel Jensen SV Werder Bremen

Jakob Poulsen AGF

Michael Silberbauer FC Utrecht

Mikkel Beckmann Randers FC

Thomas Enevoldsen FC Groningen

Thomas Kahlenberg VfL Wolfsburg

Dennis Rommedahl AFC Ajax

Jesper Grønkjær FC København

Jon Dahl Tomasson Feyenoord

Martin Jørgensen AGF

Michael Krohn-Dehli Brøndby IF

Nicklas Bendtner Arsenal FC

Søren Larsen MSV Duisburg

Stand by:

Anders Møller Christensen          OB

Leon Jessen FC Midtjylland

Mikkel Thygesen FC Midtjylland

Morten Rasmussen Celtic FC

Guest Heneage

I think its only in the last 6 years that Mexico has ever had any players playing outside of their own league.

I'm pretty sure, some of their clubs (Chivas springs to mind) actually only employ Mexican players.

I think its only in the last 6 years that Mexico has ever had any players playing outside of their own league.

Especially Hugo Sanchez right?

And mostly that's due the mexican teams being damn rich.

I'm pretty sure, some of their clubs (Chivas springs to mind) actually only employ Mexican players.

Yeah, Guadalajara (Chivas) has a long nationalist tradition which is quite strong in Mexico. I am personally not a fan of nationalism and is one of the reasons I have always detested Chivas... well that and the red and white stripes.

Aye... and also due to their corruption. WHich has historically held them back from actually competing well internationally.

Aye... and also due to their corruption. WHich has historically held them back from actually competing well internationally.

Mexico have a very decent record in all the recent world cups.

Mexico have a very decent record in all the recent world cups.

Its relative I suppose. Considering the money thy spend, the raw talent they have (in the youth), the fanaticism of the sport, and their population (over 100m) they should have at least made a semi-final by now.

Can't believe Argentina left out Lucho, Lisandro Lopez, Cambiasso, and Zanetti. They were all playing so well during the league seasons. Then again, I'm quite pleased with anything that weakens them before June 12.

Maradona is a total idiot.

Cambiasso is one of the best in the world at what he does, Zanetti is still the best full back they've got despite his age and Lucho must surely be better than an old Veron and the domestic players he picked. I would have also picked Lisandro ahead of Lavezzi probably.

They would have a chance of winning the tournament with a half decent coach.

North Korea squad...

Kim Myong Gil (Amrokgang), Kim Myong Won (Amrokgang), Ri Myong Guk (Pyongyang City), An Chol Hyok (Rimyongsu), An Yong Hak (Omiya Ardija), Cha Jong Hyok (Amrokgang), Choe Kum Chol (April 25), Hong Yong Jo (FK Rostov), Ji Yun Nam (April 25), Jong Tae Se (Kawasaki Frontale), Kim Kum Il (April 25), Kim Kyong Il (Rimyongsu), Kim Yong Jun (Pyongyang City), Mun In Guk (April 25), Nam Song Chol (April 25), Pak Chol Jin (Amrokgang), Pak Nam Chol (April 25), Pak Nam Chol (Amrokgang), Pak Sung Hyok (Sobaeksu), Ri Chol Myong (Pyongyang City), Ri Jun Il (Sobaeksu), Ri Kwang Chon (April 25), Ri Kwang Hyok (Koynggongop).

Some good names in there. :iamatwat:

So

5x Kim

4x Pak

5x Ri

4x Myong

Mun In Guk is a class name btw  :lol:

Can't believe Argentina left out Lucho, Lisandro Lopez, Cambiasso, and Zanetti. They were all playing so well during the league seasons. Then again, I'm quite pleased with anything that weakens them before June 12.

Maradona is a total idiot.

Cambiasso is one of the best in the world at what he does, Zanetti is still the best full back they've got despite his age and Lucho must surely be better than an old Veron and the domestic players he picked. I would have also picked Lisandro ahead of Lavezzi probably.

They would have a chance of winning the tournament with a half decent coach.

The age excuse also vanishes when he picks up Palermo.

All in all, they still have enough quality to make a decent show of themselves (QF or so), which will probably be enough to keep him in charge.

North Korea squad...

Some good names in there. :iamatwat:

So

5x Kim

4x Pak

5x Ri

4x Myong

Mun In Guk is a class name btw  :lol:

Mun is mouth in Swedish, which makes the name even funnier :lol:

"Cheryl Cole should support Argentina" -Lionel Messi

"I don't know if Cheryl is going to want to support England. She might be a bit anti-England players at the moment."

"If she is looking for a new nation to follow at the World Cup, she should look no further than Argentina."

"We play the prettiest football, have the prettiest players, and Argentinian men also know how to treat their women."

He added: "She would of course have to do the Tango. I don't think there would be a shortage of Argentinian players willing to help teach her."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1277761/WORLD-CUP-2010-Lionel-Messi-asks-Cheryl-Cole-Argentina-pretty-boys.html

I thought this was interesting - Capello considering a switch to three at the back in the absence of Gareth Barry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8681745.stm

I can see the problem, because there's no direct replacement for Barry, and he may need an extra man in the middle to bolster the defensive side if he plays someone like Carrick.

He's asking a lot of the average English player's ability to adapt though.

I thought this was interesting - Capello considering a switch to three at the back in the absence of Gareth Barry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8681745.stm

I can see the problem, because there's no direct replacement for Barry, and he may need an extra man in the middle to bolster the defensive side if he plays someone like Carrick.

He's asking a lot of the average English player's ability to adapt though.

not really as it would seem an almost natural role for ashley cole and glen johnson to be wingbacks.

Guest Stephen927

3-5-2 would help to mask some of Glen Johnsons defensive weaknesses. We shouldn't not try it just cos it failed for McClaren, plenty time to get it sorted in training.