José Mourinho

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jose Mourinho has accused four of his Manchester United stars of lacking 'character'.

"They are lacking maturity. Maturity that when you played, I think the youngsters… look at your situation, at my situation.

"I wasn’t a player, obviously, but when I say maturity I mean on a personal level. We were more like men. We were more mature. We were more prepared for life. Let’s say it like that. We were less protected.

"In English they call it ‘spoilt’, ‘spoilt kids’. Our kids are more spoilt than we were by our parents. We are more mature, we are better prepared. For young people now, it’s a different life on a social level compared to ours.

"Today's players also in their surroundings, they have a word that was used a lot in Barcelona, entorno[environment] that they use in a more global, holistic sense in relation to the club. When I use the word I use it more in relation to a personal environment.

"To the people who surround the players, who protect them too much, who give them – in my opinion – too much care, too many excuses. There’s always an excuse for everything.

"People are maturijng more slowly. For example, the young lad Luke Shaw, who is the left-back of the national team, who arrived two years before me. He didn’t know how to compete. He had great potential, yes, but he didn’t know how to compete.

"We’re talking about Luke Shaw, Martial, Lingard, Rashford – young, big potential, but at the end of the day it results in the word I cannot say, but you use it a lot here… character, personality, they lack a little."

How can this man call ant=y one of his players a spoilt brat when he is the biggest spoilt brat of them all??? If an allegedly world class manager cannot motivate young players to perform then he is simply not good enough anymore. Jose, sadly your time is up.

:yao:

How can this man call ant=y one of his players a spoilt brat when he is the biggest spoilt brat of them all??? If an allegedly world class manager cannot motivate young players to perform then he is simply not good enough anymore. Jose, sadly your time is up.

I really don't understand him at all.  We're moving (gladly) into a period where the top managers have a mix of genuine people skills combined with tactical vision.  Pep seems to have led the way on this, and we're starting to see a new breed of manager who are able to engage with the team and get the best out of their players - getting the team to play in a style that the manager lives and breathes.

The old school style of being a massive c***, acting like a spoilt brat and randomly shoehorning players into a basic 4-4-2 before picking up a massive paycheck  (Pardew, Alardyce, Redknapp etc) has been shown to no longer work and happily that generation are f***ing off to become media rent-a-gobs freeing the way for younger untested managers to have a crack.

The sooner Maureen f***s off abroad, the better IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

That Sanchez transfer was a complete waste.

Alexis Sanchez didn't turn from world class to shite overnight. Under the right manager he'll find his form again. If he had gone to City he'd probably be sitting on 10-15 goals this year.

Guest Howaythetoon

Alexis Sanchez didn't turn from world class to shite overnight. Under the right manager he'll find his form again. If he had gone to City he'd probably be sitting on 10-15 goals this year.

I’ve never thought of him as a world-class player or at the same level of say Augero even during his best spell at Arsenal, but he’s a good player and would have fitted in well at City.

He’s totally wasted at Man Utd though and his game 100% unsuited to the manager’s tactics, style of play and even man management style, same with Pogba who admittedly is someone whose own game can kind of be changed to a certain role to suit the team more because he’s a more rounded player. Even then you don’t get the best out of him or get something somoene else with half his talent and for a quarter of his price and wages can give you all the same.

I think both Sanchez and Pogba were signed as marquee players, with Sanchez signed as somekind of statement to appease fans and the watching world that Man Utd can and will beat their rivals to a player and can compete and even better anyone financially when it comes to wages.

They have spent a fuck load, but I’m not so sure Mourinho has had 100% control over who comes in and what areas money gets spent on. There is no excuse for how shit they are though or how they play.

Martial, Mata, Rashford, Lukaku, Lingard (who I’ve been really impressed with and consider a very good player and one that has actually improved under Mourinho, but could offer even more) and indeed Sanchez and Pogba are all players who Mourinho has struggled to get the best out of consistently or whose tactics and game plan or style of play limits them as individuals where they are collectively basically running around working hard and putting a defensive shift in just to not lose a game.

Rafa gets more than that out of our lot.

He’s a busted flush and in danger of becoming a bit of a dinosaur tactically and his style of play. Man Utd are so bad to watch, NUFC are more fun to watch and we really are shit and don’t play good football at all.

Don't think he's finished but he isn't at the forefront of management and needs to take a step backwards in terms of clubs (maybe even retire in to International Football) and go somewhere he's respected, appreciated and loved, warts n all. Like Rafa here.

When (if) he puts his ego aside and realises that's where he is now, he'll probably start enjoying it all again and have a second wind.

his form did seem to go downhill in the last few months at Arsenal, thought it was just down to him kinda sulking but who knows really

Alexis Sanchez didn't turn from world class to s**** overnight. Under the right manager he'll find his form again. If he had gone to City he'd probably be sitting on 10-15 goals this year.

his form did seem to go downhill in the last few months at Arsenal, thought it was just down to him kinda sulking but who knows really

He was gash at Arsenal whilst he was trying to force the move.  As tempting as it might be to say he's a class player who's underperfomring because he's lost it mentally, I'm more inclined to think that he was just a mixture of overrated and overperfoming when people were raving about him.  I think City dodged a big bullet by letting him go to Man U, and I doubt he'll stick around in the PL unless a lower team offers him a ridiculous pay day.

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought Mahrez was a wrong fit for City, but by all accounts he’s been superb and although he doesn’t stand out for them in the way he for Leicester, he’s showing a lot more to his game in general.

I think Sanchez would have been a good fit for City, certainly more than Mahrez I thought, but given his wages and likely squad player status had he signed, even they baulked at the deal in terms of wages which is obscene considering he’s not a world-class player, IMO anyway.

Again I think it was a signing Man Utd made to flex some muscles, one up manship over their rivals and to appease fans, a good player, but one not needed and one unsuited to their tactics and style of play.

He’s to them in ways what Rodwell was to the mackems.

Even if Mourinho left I can’t see a way back for him where he becomes the kind of player he was for Arsenal for them or has anywhere near the same kind of influence.

I don’t think Mourinho wanted him at all, Pogba likewise.

It’s no coincidence both are overlooked by the manager.

He’s a good player, they both are, not world-class, but good enough to walk into this current Man Utd team if they weren’t players the manager didn’t want, doesn’t rate and questions their commitment to the cause, his cause. With Mourinho you always feel it’s political though just as much. Just get on with it.

That’s why Rafa deserves a lot of plaudits and has shown he’s a great manager because he’s just got on with things and with a degree of success that belies what he has to work with.

I argued with a Man Utd fan recently who claimed winning promotion was achieved the hard way despite having the biggest budget, best players and biggest wage bill, which any old manager would have achieved. I argued what Rafa achieved would be akin to Mourinho following up last season by winning the title this season with pretty much the same squad.

Relegation to champions, a culture of losing to a culture of winning, a broken dressing room to a united dressing room, a disconnection between fans and club to 100% love and pride. As Mourinho is showing, having spending power and a bigger wage bill means nowt or won’t make up the difference. Rafa is proving the opposite.

Mourinho would do well to follow Rafa and go and manage a club and set of players where the manager and his coaching is the difference. At their level, Man Utd have to back their manager in the transfer market in terms of absolute control if not always in terms of spending, but Mourinho has a budget and a squad he should be getting much more from using his coaching abilities alone.

Some time out is needed and perhaps a stint at a club with no budget, with a smaller wage budget, at a lower level, is in order to prove himself as a coach or reinvent himself.

He’s finished in England and at elite club level. I wouldn’t rule him out winning another trophy for Man Utd mind, he’s a machine at winning trophies. He’d have to win the CL to survive another season though you’d imagine.