Club statement

Magpie

The idea that we have to sell to buy first is an interesting one.

You wonder if the regime don't really trust the majority of these players who essentially relegated us last time around, and are basically setting it up so that we have to get rid of some of them before we bring others in. If this is indeed the case, then this announcement of theirs makes it easier for Hughton to do this I would imagine. It will certainly have clubs contacting us to enquire about our players if people feel we have to sell to buy.

Newcastle really do have a knack of making the summer a lot less enjoyable than it should be.

The statement has manipluation written all over it more than anything else. Mention the name Portsmouth, and at a glance, his 'plan' suddenly looks better to some people - disregarding any kind of thought about actual situations & details of course.

The Geordie Nation - "well the Geordies love one of their own, now they're whinging the owner wants more acedemy players getting a chance!"... again, disregarding most of the young'uns do not consist of 'The Geordie Nation', nor is the academy brimming full of talent on the scale that they seem to imply (it is not suddenly way ahead of every other club's academy at this moment).

Divide & conquer - I'll quote another fan, problem child off toontastic, who said this: The biggest threat to Ashley’s plans to get his money back is the supporters. If we ever say ‘fuck you’ en masse and stop handing over our money he’s up shit creek. The disinformation creates enough division within the ranks to stop us ever calling his bluff.

I showed this statement to mates of mine at work who all support different teams, and they really couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Clumsily worded at points, said one, but another said it reminded him of how Jack Walker went about things at Blackburn Rovers, back in the day. And then another said it was sensible considering the debt situation of so many other major clubs.

Conclusion: massive overreaction by fans? ???

Not sure how I feel now. Are we overreacting? Not really...just expressing natural disappointment and concern that we won't have a squad which will be able to cope in the EPL...but then there is a lot of dross in there and they've stayed up OK. :dontknow:

Looking back at it, I think it was just executed in a really tone-deaf way. There's really not too much in there that hasn't been hinted at before. It does make you wonder if Mark Hannan, who appears to be the "media officer" referred to in the statement is really up for the job.

I showed this statement to mates of mine at work who all support different teams, and they really couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Clumsily worded at points, said one, but another said it reminded him of how Jack Walker went about things at Blackburn Rovers, back in the day. And then another said it was sensible considering the debt situation of so many other major clubs.

Not sure how I feel now. Are we overreacting? Not really...just expressing natural disappointment and concern that we won't have a squad which will be able to cope in the EPL...but then there is a lot of dross in there and they've stayed up OK. :dontknow:

I think the most depressing thing about it is the 5 year plan. Its not even 'lets take one step at a time and see where we are going', let alone to be challenging for europe after 5 years, but simply to break even. Cant wait for that party in 5 years time. And that's not dis-regarding the dangers of over-spending and financial mess - just that 5yr plan shows simply zero ambition on any sensible scale.

The first team squad that won the Championship this year will form the basis of the team for next season in the Premier League.

The basis isn't the whole team/squad,and it suggests to me that there will be 2 or 3 signings to join the squad,bearing in mind that certain players,be it reserves or loanees or Nicky Butt that have already left the club.

The first team squad that won the Championship this year will form the basis of the team for next season in the Premier League.

The basis isn't the whole team/squad,and it suggests to me that there will be 2 or 3 signings to join the squad,bearing in mind that certain players,be it reserves or loanees or Nicky Butt that have already left the club.

I would be fairly comfortable with that if those 2, 3 players were players who would make a notible difference to us. Mendy, Reo-Coker/Taraabt & Dindane for example (not all my personal choice) would cost around 15m roughly, and would add vital ingriedents missing in the current squad. Pacey experienced right-back, energetic midfielder, creative talent, and a goal-scorer. Actually someone like Taarabt would not be needed possibly if Vuckic gets his chances, which would be fair enough. But by the looks of that statement, 2 or 3 signings like that are not possible, which is shame as it would help out the lads who are there now a lot.

Guest VegasToon

Not bothered reading all of the pages, but the definition of a Capital Outlay is "payments made in cash or cash equivalents over a period of more than one year."  We already knew we are still paying transfer fees for players who are not on the books.  It will not happen again.  Not a big deal IMO.  

My expectations for next year is just survival.  With a couple of signings for depth and competition it will happen.  Most of the team can compete with in the Prem.  Top 8, no...Bottom 12, yes.  

Not really. ANY team that is promoted (to any league, but especially the Sky League) must strengthen their squad with quality and depth. We currently have a small amount of quality within our squad to compete in this league but little or no depth.

Imo, any set of fans of a newly promoted team that is told they will get no investment would go nuts. We're no different. We absolutely must get reasonable investment in the team to have a chance of staying up.

We're going to end up in a West Ham-like situation if we're not careful (or worse!).

Not bothered reading all of the pages, but the definition of a Capital Outlay is "payments made in cash or cash equivalents over a period of more than one year."  We already knew we are still paying transfer fees for players who are not on the books.  It will not happen again.  Not a big deal IMO.  

My expectations for next year is just survival.  With a couple of signings for depth and competition it will happen.  Most of the team can compete with in the Prem.  Top 8, no...Bottom 12, yes.  

Really annoys me when people say they can't be bothered looking at the rest of the thread, but pollute the place with their inane ramblings.  I'm assuming they expect us to read them, unless they are talking to themselves.

We're going to end up in a West Ham-like situation if we're not careful (or worse!).

How do you mean? They have a massive squad with massive wage bill? Not sure I'm picking you up right, because I don't see the parallel? ???

How do you mean? They have a massive squad with massive wage bill? Not sure I'm picking you up right, because I don't see the parallel? ???

Agreed. If anything, you were in a West Ham-like situation year-before-last, only you went down whereas they stayed up. Now you've shed (some) dead wood/wages and got a bit of feel-good back (but lost a wodge in the process). If West Ham start badly or screw up any new signings they make they will have a mare.

I wouldn't call their squad 'massive' as such. They invested little money in their playing squad and had to sell to buy- and look where they ended up. Scraped survival by the skin of their teeth.

We also have a huge wage bill, just a smaller squad.

They had injuries and suspensions to key players and their squad couldn't cope.

I don't think anyone knows for certain what this statement means and that is what I don't get about them. They have released this deliberately ambiguous statement, something they have done before and they know the reaction that it gets from the fans. They are shit stirring when they know it pisses everyone off and how does this benefit them or the club?

I wouldn't call their squad 'massive' as such. They invested little money in their playing squad and had to sell to buy- and look where they ended up. Scraped survival by the skin of their teeth.

We also have a huge wage bill, just a smaller squad.

They had injuries and suspensions to key players and their squad couldn't cope.

They were f*cked the moment Dyer got injured.....  :rolleyes:

In fact considering the announcement today on parachute payments they probably don't really care if we go down next year.

I was thinking about that last bit as well. They are really only intersted in balancing the books and the rest will be left to chance.

As soon as I heard this on the radio I thought that they probably arent bothered about relegation again.

Most likely just assuming that it will be piss easy to come straight back up again.

In fact considering the announcement today on parachute payments they probably don't really care if we go down next year.

I was thinking about that last bit as well. They are really only intersted in balancing the books and the rest will be left to chance.

As soon as I heard this on the radio I thought that they probably arent bothered about relegation again.

Most likely just assuming that it will be piss easy to come straight back up again.

hmm dunno bout that like. without the three year tie in and such i'd very much doubt we'd have anywhere near the crowds we did if we went down again.

Guest Vigge

I mean this statement is so poorly worded if this is the first work of this new media officer, then he or whoever else wrote this need to take a hard look at their professional skills, however I am leaning towards that with "no capital outlay" they mean that they will continue with their policy of paying up front for transfers. I can understand the omg reactions but I want a nice spring, summer and WC so I am staying positive.

This idea that we would spend nowt is to alien and bizarre to contemplate, we'll see come September I guess  :coolsmiley: 

several journalists and papers have been banned from SJP and pressers this season according to Bird on Twitter.  He not being one of them though.

It's not a rumour, the club have confirmed it....

Following an article that appeared as a back page lead in the Sunday Sun on 10 January 2010, healined 'Desert-ers Leave Toon', Newcastle United, having taken exception to the accuracy, tone, inference and content of the article, contacted the Sunday Sun to seek a full page retraction of the said article in the following Sunday's paper (17 January).

The retraction was not forthcoming in the manner requested and as such the Club have banned the Sunday Sun, indefinitley, from St. James' Park and the Training Ground.

http://nufc-ashlies.blogspot.com/2010/01/ashley-trying-to-supress-newsagain.html

That's in addition to Dave Kidd (link) and Alan Oliver (Link)

In any case, talking about '5 year plans' reminds me of 2 things - firstly the Soviets after the War when they had '5 year plans' for everything including the Moskvitch.....the Russkies are still waiting for the Kremlin's challenger to VW....

Secondly, Sunderland once had a manager called Alan Brown who had the misfortune to be in charge there when NUFC were winning the Fairs Cup - Brown also had a '5 Year plan' for Mackem success by bringing through the likes of Colin Todd, Bobby Kerr and Billy Hughes etc...the Mackems got relegated and it wasn't until Bob Stokoe took over 4 years later that they won the FA Cup and got promoted.

Brown wasn't there long enough to see his 5 Year Plan work because he was fired after they went down....

Yep, it's as if that line's been completely ignored. I think everybody knew this would be the case anyway. When Birmingham came up they spent £8.5m on Johnson & Dann (an area we don't have to spend imo), and the only other cash signing was Barry Ferguson for £1m. Hasn't done them any harm has it?