Newcastle-Online: Reds v Blues match (all forumites welcome) - JULY 17

Stu
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg830/scaled.php?tn=0&server=830&filename=65190617.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

thats ridiculous that like.

(drinking dog from the bottle!)

and is that the miserywitch in the background who asked us to "keep the noise down" ?

I concur with our toffee compadre, and I said as much in the pub yesterday. Defending is a piece of piss compared to being a striker. The responsibility on the shoulders of the front man is massive. If they play s**** it effects the whole team's performance. You've got to get the touches right, hold the ball if needed and be ready to take what little scoring opportunity might come your way. And those opportunities can be few and far between.

When I'm playing CB and we concede I can usually pick out 2 or 3 mistakes that have been made further up the pitch before it gets anywhere in my vicinity. And that's assuming the move/ball has come anywhere near me in the first place. When you are a forward and you get a scoring chance, it's normally because your team-mates have done everything well to get the ball to you in that position. If you f*** up it's squarely on your shoulders. That's why strikers have to be so selfish, single-minded and self-confident. It's a giganticly huge responsibility.

If you want a run out up front I've got no problem with it though Yorkie. Everyone pays the money and is entitled to enjoy their game as much as the next man. Have you thought about right-midfield rather than right-back? There's slightly less pressure defensively and you can get forward. You need to be confident in your delivery though as losing the ball in good attacking positions really makes loud mouthed cockney centre back's very angry.

i've got to disagree here as someone who spent a long time at left back. i don't think defending is a piece of piss. forwards mistakes are rarely highlighted as much as defenders and forwards can get away with crap if it comes off just once whereas defenders can have a "bramble" and be gereat for 99% of the game and still end up getting slated for costing a game much more than forwards.

some people when playing out of position play a strange game instead of just adapting the variables of whats happening whatever position they are supposed to be in, some go on as if the basics are different and within a decent set up there should still be plenty of scope for a full back to get forward. the more i watch football now the more i see full backs becoming more and more important, starting off more moves and having better opportunities to see space than most players on the pitch.

Just to clarify, I didn't say defending itself was a piece of piss, it isn't. Just that, for me, it's a hell of a lot easier than being a striker. I've played every position on the park and played to a pretty high standard through my youth and younger adulthood. I always found it a lot more frustrating playing up front and more often than not I felt I'd had a poor game unless I'd scored. Playing at the back is a lot simpler. The basics of it boil down to getting in the way of the ball and not allowing the striker time to settle or to get away from you.

For sure your mistakes are a lot more magnified and more likely to result in a goal for the oppo but as I said, I can normally pick out a couple of mistakes made by forwards or midfielders before the ball got to me.

I just find it a lot more straightforward being a Centre Back. Goals win games, and that's why being a Striker is, for me, the hardest job on the pitch.

Just to clarify, I didn't say defending itself was a piece of piss, it isn't. Just that, for me, it's a hell of a lot easier than being a striker. I've played every position on the park and played to a pretty high standard through my youth and younger adulthood. I always found it a lot more frustrating playing up front and more often than not I felt I'd had a poor game unless I'd scored. Playing at the back is a lot simpler. The basics of it boil down to getting in the way of the ball and not allowing the striker time to settle or to get away from you.

For sure your mistakes are a lot more magnified and more likely to result in a goal for the oppo but as I said, I can normally pick out a couple of mistakes made by forwards or midfielders before the ball got to me.

I just find it a lot more straightforward being a Centre Back. Goals win games, and that's why being a Striker is, for me, the hardest job on the pitch.

down to personal strengths (and in your case talents). for me defending is as much a skill, tackling is as important as shooting (not that you'd have guessed from me on saturday mind) and stopping goals is as important and as likely to win a game as scoring. i found being a striker difficulit as talent wise i was never cut out for it but even though all left foot i played all across the middle and both full back positions.

edit...i know many forwards that say defending is more difficuilt.

Guest Heneage

We should definitely not use that ref next time.

As for playing I'll play anytime.

Nah need a referee.

Nah need a referee.

Aye just not that one. That throw in thing was ridiculous no matter how foul some were.

Guest Heneage

Nah need a referee.

Aye just not that one. That throw in thing was ridiculous no matter how some were.

True, but it could be argued that it's just as ridiculous that the majority can't take a throw in the correct way, it's not rocket science.

I find defending a lot simpler than being a striker but that is purely because I've always been a defender. I'm sure someone who was a striker all their footballing life would say the opposite.

Being a striker is mainly instinctive I would say, but having the footballing knowledge too is what makes you a great striker. See Obafemi Martins vs Michael Owen. Martins never had the footballing knowledge - hence the fact he has never really been world reknowned. Michael Owen however, has.

For me defending involves a lot more than merely getting a block in, or stopping the opposition - it involves organising and maintaining cohesion throughout the full set up. That's why the Blues won - because they were cohesive at the back and MKSC supplied the organisation.

I was fairly hopeless up front, because I have the footballing knowledge to think this is where I should go to be a neusance - or simply drag them around a lot. So hard work for me was key - because I knew I didn't have the strikers instincts to get myself in 'goal scoring' opportunities all that often.

Anyhoo, aye - it's just a case of what you're used to really, innit.

Wouldn't mind a shot as holding midfielder in the next one of these. I've stunk at centre back the last couple of games.

apart from for their 3rd goal you did well man. Solid as owt first half.

Well that's three, which is what I said, compared to the Blue's 1 sub, which we found out about at half time. It was the only issue I had, wasn't bothered about the 11v11, but the extra subs was a bit of a pain - especially after 2-3 blues said they weren't coming and extras were 'drafted' in to replace them.

:lol:

You had another sub though, Neesy was on the bench when I arrived (and Dan definitely came off during the first half).

This myth about "2-3 blues said they weren't coming" - only KenDahl said he wouldn't be coming and then subsequently turned up (and he did post in the forum to say he'd managed to switch his shift at work).

I can understand some post-match complaints, but try and keep them based in reality and not some made up codswallop :razz:

So 1 player turns up after saying he would/he wouldn't/he would.

1 red player gets injured in the warm-up.

There's your two-player swing.

Bloody cheating blue team.

Can you all stop souring my first victory please. Thanks.

I think the inaugral "Colin Rance Victory Award" went to you, for finally breaking your duck!

Congrats, here...have, er, a car freshener? :blush:

I think the inaugral "Colin Rance Victory Award" went to you, for finally breaking your duck!

I didn't realise I was giving out prizes.

I'm more than happy to let Kezzie take the plaudits and enjoy this momentous occasion.

I don't suspect I'll be breaking mine anytime soon.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

So 1 player turns up after saying he would/he wouldn't/he would.

1 red player gets injured in the warm-up.

There's your two-player swing.

Bloody cheating blue team.

I just find it hard to believe anything someone is saying about the number of people there when they ask 'When did you turn up?' after the match without a hint of sarcasm! Though it appears I'm the only one who had an issue with the subs, so I guess its not a big deal.

In my mind it was like the 300, only it there wasn't 300 of us, just 5 facing a constant swarm of dirty Blues!

I can barely walk today like. Thigh muscle is killing me, shows how unfit i am. Really enjoyed playing in goal, been a while since I've done so on full pitch so had a couple of shaky moment but didn't do too bad although i still reckon i should've stopped Blues first goal and possibly the 4th.

That could be as a result of the impact of your outrageous dive.