suprise move

womblemaster

While it's obvious fair play to him, I can't help but feel it's more "Don't let me go, I'll do anything, anything! Just let me stay for one more year at a club this big to increase my profile after this injury ridden year." rather than "I don't want your money."

Its a nice gesture and all, but what the hell is wrong with him man :lol:

Hasn't got too many footballing years ahead of him and won't be on absolute monster wages. Perhaps he isn't as greedy as me like.

He's probably thinking this is in his best interest in the long run more than anything. I guess it was likely Milan would have flogged him if not for this. Hope it pays off for him, liked that guy.

is owen spining in his grave?

A back injury too now?!

Guest Heneage

He's living in Milan who wouldn't do what he's done?

Most professional footballers.

With the money he's probably on? I'd happily play my final year for free if I was at Milan.

Pfft shut it Ronnie. Just cos it's not Miami with a Cuban.  bluerazz.gif

While it's obvious fair play to him, I can't help but feel it's more "Don't let me go, I'll do anything, anything! Just let me stay for one more year at a club this big to increase my profile after this injury ridden year." rather than "I don't want your money."

I would agree with that, except that the year that's free is in 2012-2013, not next year. Seems like more of a gesture than anything-if he's worth keeping when that year comes around, I'm sure they will just sign a new contract with him and pay him, otherwise easily sold. It's a nice thought and gesture to the club, but probably nothing more than that.

Guest Heneage

Redondo did the same some years ago, Tomassi as well in Roma...

I don't think Tomassi did, I think Tomassi did it for the basic minimum wage you can pay a player.

I don't think Tomassi did, I think Tomassi did it for the basic minimum wage you can pay a player.

Youth player wages or something like that? Tomassi was a classy guy incidentally, one of my favorite Italian players. Even grabbed the train to go to Valencia to see him appear for Levante once.

"Onyewu has requested and obtained a contract extension from 30 June 2012 until 30 June 2013. With respect to that year, as was his wish, which has been appreciated by the club, Onyewu has asked not to receive any type of wages. This is an exemplary gesture that deserves our sincere congratulations."

long ways away that man, he's more likely to have been shipped out by then in which case it'll be moot and he'll have been paid for the next 2 seasons

Pretty sure that was at Milan too - maybe there's something about the club that fosters that kind of loyalty?

I also heard a story about Seedorf's brother, so maybe it goes both ways...?

how come no-one understands he's gonna get paid for the next 2 seasons?

if he'd have really meant the gesture he'd have said not to pay him next year but more then likely he'll know there's no chance of him staying at milan for another 3 years if they ever want to improve to their old standards as a club

but hey ho, well done gooch you're a good 'un  :thup:

how come no-one understands he's gonna get paid for the next 2 seasons?

if he'd have really meant the gesture he'd have said not to pay him next year but more then likely he'll know there's no chance of him staying at milan for another 3 years if they ever want to improve to their old standards as a club

but hey ho, well done gooch you're a good 'un  :thup:

Even though he's not going as far as you suggest, he's still making a gesture by saying 'I've been paid for nowt this year, so will play for nowt when my contract runs out'.

Seems a bit tight to nit-pick and say it's a shit gesture, when he didn't have to make any gesture at all.