The Guardian: Newcastle fans held racist protests about Andy Cole's signing

Paully

The bord just told me about this. Absolutely fucking shocking, tbh. FWIW, the comment is made by the interviewee: Simon Taylor, Chelsea's head of corporate social responsibility--whatever the fuck that is.

100%. They should threaten to take them to court for defamation.

Our first black player was Howard Gayle, he didnt get any stick. Nor did Tony Cunningham, who despite being a bit crap had his own terrace song celebrating his status as our first full time black player. Like every club in the country during the late 70s early 80s black players playing for the opposition did get a bit of abuse, but it was never as bad as made out. By the time Andy Cole signed for NUFC there was no racist abuse at SJP and this s*** is exactly that.

The last significant racial abuse I can recall in the UK was John Barnes playing for England at Wembley, but we cant mention that because not many northerners were in the crowd.

Howard Gayle had a song about him and his colour but it wasn't racist.  It went "He's Black, he's Broon, he's playing for the Toon Howard Gayle, Howard Gayle."

It's an awful piece and an apology should be the very least the paper can provide. A fine example of more lazy-arsed Newcastle bashing from hacks who should know better.

It's a direct quote from someone else. Is he under any obligation to print an apology?

I've just phoned his number and got the answer phone which directs you to either leave him a message or contact head of media Steve Atkins on 07590771849

We should all ring them and complain at unsociable hours.  :lol:

That Guardian article is an absolute disgrace. Andy Cole was absolutely worshipped up here from day one. We even had another black player in the squad, Franz Carr, who was also very popular with fans. Cole didn't score a hat trick for us until a game v Barnsley, a number of games into his NUFC career.

There's jibes, there's criticism and then there's downright lies. That rubbish falls into the last category.

Exactly my sentiments.

It's an awful piece and an apology should be the very least the paper can provide. A fine example of more lazy-arsed Newcastle bashing from hacks who should know better.

It's a direct quote from someone else. Is he under any obligation to print an apology?

I reckon he is because it's his piece. The Chelsea liar should also make an apology for what is tantamount to racist slander against all Newcastle fans.

Don't suppose Andy Cole has a twitter or anything where he could be asked about his time here and could confirm this shit is... Well, shit?  Would probably increase the chances of a retraction.

I can't think of a more racist crowd than the one at Stamford Bridge during the late 70's, most of the 80's and early 90's.  The nearest to them was probably West Ham but even they didn't come anywhere near the swastika clad NF supporting scum at Stamford Bridge.

No.

The objectionable bit isn't the journalist talking, or the paper. It's the twat from Chelsea.

No.

The objectionable bit isn't the journalist talking, or the paper. It's the twat from Chelsea.

It's surely partly the journalist and the paper though, howay.  It must come to a point where the journalist thinks "hang on I can't write that.  Not without checking my facts out anyway".  And in turn, the paper's editor's also responsible.

Guest malandro

No.

The objectionable bit isn't the journalist talking, or the paper. It's the t*** from Chelsea.

Wrong. Repeating slander in print is defamation and The Guardian has a responsibility to make sure any accusations they print have some merit.

Was this is in the paper or just online? If it was in the paper the PCA would be able to insist on a retraction.

I've justy been reading the comments below the article, one had me in stitches.  :lol:

JerryDammers

25 May 2010, 10:35PM

I actually remember Simon Taylor from his student days up here when I used to share a flat with him.

He was a fully paid up member of the KKK and used to try and rally his fellow students into organising lynchings of the local African population. Many a time I would come home from lectures to find my pillowcases had a couple of holes cut out. He also had a signed photo of John Tyndal hung proudly in his bedroom.

What's he doing with himself nowadays?

I've justy been reading the comments below the article, one had me in stitches.  :lol:

JerryDammers

25 May 2010, 10:35PM

I actually remember Simon Taylor from his student days up here when I used to share a flat with him.

He was a fully paid up member of the KKK and used to try and rally his fellow students into organising lynchings of the local African population. Many a time I would come home from lectures to find my pillowcases had a couple of holes cut out. He also had a signed photo of John Tyndal hung proudly in his bedroom.

What's he doing with himself nowadays?

I wish that really was Jerry Dammers.

100%. They should threaten to take them to court for defamation.

Our first black player was Howard Gayle, he didnt get any stick. Nor did Tony Cunningham, who despite being a bit crap had his own terrace song celebrating his status as our first full time black player. Like every club in the country during the late 70s early 80s black players playing for the opposition did get a bit of abuse, but it was never as bad as made out. By the time Andy Cole signed for NUFC there was no racist abuse at SJP and this s*** is exactly that.

The last significant racial abuse I can recall in the UK was John Barnes playing for England at Wembley, but we cant mention that because not many northerners were in the crowd.

Howard Gayle had a song about him and his colour but it wasn't racist.  It went "He's Black, he's Broon, he's playing for the Toon Howard Gayle, Howard Gayle."

I was at Grimsby on a Boxing Day when he scored and that song was being belted out.  Mind you when he got sent off at SJP for the Mackems he did get abused...............

Don't suppose Andy Cole has a twitter or anything where he could be asked about his time here and could confirm this shit is... Well, shit?  Would probably increase the chances of a retraction.

Think he writes a column for The Independent.

Might be worthy of it's own thread like... I can't be arsed so somebody else feel free to get something up. I promise I won't delete... dunno about the others like!

:lol:

Dave would have split the thread for us. :nods:

:tickedoff:

I should have done it really, was on my iPhone though (makes life tricky). Split now, for those wondering this has been cut out of the "Media hates NUFC" thread as it's possibly the worst shite we've had written about us since that thread was started (which takes some doing).

Elswick Mag over on Skunkers has apparently just got off the phone to Mr Taylor

I have just finished speaking to this Simon Taylor. To be fair to him he seemed a really nice bloke and couldn't be apologetic enough.

I firstly asked in to be specific about the 'protests outside the ground'. I asked him if he had witnessed any organised demonstration. He said he hadn't but, said he had got the feeling of an 'undercurrent'. I personally cannot remember any undercurrent other than anticipation of seeing our new record signing. He was adamant however that there was, to paraphrase 'something in the air'.

I challenged him on the fact the Cole did not get a hat-trick on his debut. He acknowledged that was correct and that he had been wrong.

I mentioned that any NF demonstrations outside SJP were about a decade earlier. That they had been dealt with and were certainly no worse and definitely less frequent than at Chelsea with Paul Cannoville. He agreed.

He praised Newcastle fans for embracing Cole as one of our own and for eradicating racism from St. James Park. Saying that he had nothing but admiration for us.

I mentioned that we are sick of the likes of Rob Beasley, Rod Liddle and Mick Dennis taking cheap shots at us, although those are relative superficial. This article is potentially serious and for a lot of fans it is the time to take a stand against the press. He said that Chelsea had there problems with those mentioned as well, but that his comments were not intended to come across as anything bit praise for us. I said I hadn't interpreted them as praise, neither had anybody else up here. I told him that NUFC.com were up in arms about it, and that I thought some people were not going to let it go lightly, that some are going to ask for an apology from him, Chelsea and the paper. Also that there had been complaints to NUFC and the Ombudsman.

He said his next call would be to NUFC to apologise.

That absolute bollocks of the highest order.  No event took place.  Utter lies.

I cannot believe that was written.

No protest what so ever, if memory serves me well NUFC fans were excited to see the new signing and fo him to do well.

Utter bollocks.

Remember bring pretty pissed off at the time when The Sun kept referring to him as "Cole, who has been christened 'Wor Blackie" by Newcastle fans..." Anyone remember any toon fan 'christening' him anything? They reckoned we called Ginola 'frog on the tyne' as well, which strangely enough sounds more like what some unfunny twat of a journalist would come up with while trying to be clever.

Remember bring pretty pissed off at the time when The Sun kept referring to him as "Cole, who has been christened 'Wor Blackie" by Newcastle fans..." Anyone remember any toon fan 'christening' him anything? They reckoned we called Ginola 'frog on the tyne' as well, which strangely enough sounds more like what some unfunny t*** of a journalist would come up with while trying to be clever.

Keyed "BLACKIE MILBURN COLE" into google & on fucker ont the well know messageboard http://www.headphonesoff.com/bspforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2525 writes "The Geordies have always been pretty racist as football fans go. I heard them sing about Andy Cole "The wog on the tyne is all mine, all mine etc..... " Anyone remember that chant :mackems: