Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Showed replay on Norwegian telly on the evening summary they run each day, and he clearly was....

Replay on my PC disagrees.

Maybe im going insane then? Starting to doubt myself here, even though im almost certain that they mentioned it on TV, with replay and all. Sure it isn't just the video quality and lack of start/pause skills on your behalf that makes you think otherwise? :lol:

Oops, I didn't see Xavi's (I think?) touch when the ball went through to Villa.

Guest BooBoo

Glad for the break today tbh. Really hope the 1/4 finals produce some great ties because it's all been pretty this WC.

The Spanish are good but I think they will have to step up their game a bit to beat any of Brazil, Argentina or Germany.

The problem is midfield - looks like Del Bosque has sacrificed attacking flair for increased stability. Arragones in 2008 got it right with Senna/Xavi in the middle and genuine attacking midfielders out wide. Del Bosque fielding Xabi Alonso and Busquests in the middle and Xavi out wide isn't working at all imo, and with Iniesta being off form compared to a year or two ago, it just seems very laboured in the middle of the park for Spain.

Still don't get how Busquets is getting picked, he's looked shit imo and against Portugal gave away a number of clumsy fouls. They'll be lucky if he doesn't cost them at a later stage. Furthermore, although this may be difficult to explain, I think there's a problem with Xabi Alonso being in the team. He's obviously a class player, but there's something about him that just doesn't seem right for the Spaniards. Maybe he's better suited to playing in a fast, direct attacking side, where his tendancy to spray passes first time is more useful. Xavi in the middle two years ago was immense for Spain because of the way he kept the ball in the middle of the park, allowing angles to be opened up for teammates, players to be played into space, better retention in the middle of the park, etc etc. Hence, with Busquets/Alonso, I don't think they have that in the middle this year.

Good post, the problem with Xavi is he's playing too far up the pitch. This somewhat negates what is his greatest attribute, namely running the show in the middle of the park.

Reckon they'd do well to take Alonso out of the side and throw in either Fabregas or Silva. Alonso is a quality player but they've really no need for him in the team when they've got someone like Xavi on the park. Get someone on there who can be more of a threat in the final third.

Torres being woefully out of form doesn't help much either obviously, I'd be tempted to use him from the bench for the next game.

A front six of...

------------------- Xavi ------------- Busquets

Iniesta ---------------------------------------------- Silva/Fabregas

-------------------- Llorente -------- Villa

would be interesting to see. Obviously it's not going to be a rigid 4-4-2, but you get the idea.

The problem with Alonso is that even though he's quality he's always been a square peg in Spain's system. I'd rather take him out and put Silva/Cesc, putting Xavi in the middle of the park, or playing him in the Busquets position against weak opposition that will bunker down. Now he's usurped Xavi's spot which just doesn't make much sense.

One of the things that's struck me over the past few days is that the bbc, ssn and several other places have referred to this year's Dutch side as having none of the team-spirit problems of previous Dutch sides... Thought it was common knowledge that pretty much none of the "big four" players (Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Van Persie and Robben) particularly like each other? Especially Van Persie and Sneijder who basically wanted to kill each other over Van Persie stealing a free kick that Sneijder wanted in 2008 -- after this week's match against Slovakia apparently Van Persie told Bert van Marwijk (according to Dutch lip-reading experts) "you should have taken Wesley off instead"... I think it shows in their attacking play; they've looked very disjointed.

Would rather watch the Germans any day of the week than Spain. Different shakes but it's boring watching one side dominate possession without really going anywhere. Probably why I don't get the Barca love in either.

:laugh: Because Barcelona don't go anywhere do they?

Watching Spain at times is a footballing masterclass. I agree at times it can be a little boring if you haven't got the patience, but games like yesterday I blame on the ultra defensive tactics of the opposition. Not the Spanish.

I'd rather watch a decent short passing game than hit and hope bollocks.

Exactly. It's brilliant to watch and reminds us all how the game should be played. Obviously Spain have got the players - but it's quite refreshing to watch compared to a lot of teams who have played in this tournament.

Would rather watch the Germans any day of the week than Spain. Different shakes but it's boring watching one side dominate possession without really going anywhere. Probably why I don't get the Barca love in either.

:laugh: Because Barcelona don't go anywhere do they?

Watching Spain at times is a footballing masterclass. I agree at times it can be a little boring if you haven't got the patience, but games like yesterday I blame on the ultra defensive tactics of the opposition. Not the Spanish.

Barca do create a lot of chances and score a lot of goals, but it's so one sided it's really just like watching a training match, 10 men behind the ball (not their fault, I know), and just the other 10 with all the ball trying to break them down. Boring.

Cruyff bashing Brazil:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/804264/ce/uk/&cc=5901?ver=us

Dutch legend Johan Cruyff has hit out at Brazil ahead of Netherlands' quarter-final meeting with them on Friday, claiming they play dull football and that he would never pay to watch them.

"Where has the Brazil team we all know disappeared to in this World Cup?" he said in the Daily Mirror. "I look at this team and I remember people like Gerson, Tostao, Falcao, Zico or Socrates. Now I only see Gilberto, Melo, Bastos, Julio Baptista.

"Where is the Brazilian magic? I could understand why Dunga has picked some players but where is the playmaker or skill in midfield? I don't think any spectator would pay to watch them. I would never pay for a ticket."

Cruyff, who was European Footballer of the Year three times and is widely regarded as one of the all-time greats, said unlike many previous tournaments, in South Africa they were "just like any other squad".

He continued: "Brazil need to play with more intensity, more bite on the pitch, because they are not special. Always the fans want to enjoy Brazil, enjoy their fantasy at World Cups, but they do not have that this summer.

"They have talented players but they play in a way which is more defensive and is less exciting. It is a shame for the fans and the tournament. They are one of the teams people want to see."

Legend :smitten:

He maybe should look at his own team first of all, when you have sexy Kuyt in your national side you're not allowed to talk shit about others.

He can say what the fuck he wants tbh.

I've fallen in love with Spanish football this season. Beautiful to watch. Not just the big two either, even Almeria against Gijon was entertaining.

That's the great thing about La Liga, you can tune in to teams like Tenerife, Almería, Málaga, etc... and they play some darn entertaining stuff, while their PL equivalents go the way of Stoke.

Incidentally my favorite non-Barça game of the season was the Fulham 3 - ManU 0. Fulham played some magnificent stuff that day. The pace and tempo of a PL team with the precision of a continental one. They shat over ManU from great height.

Absolutelty, last year's premiership contained 10 or 11  teams that are basically unwatchable. Still watched them, sad bastard that I am. But I genuinely look forward to sat/sun nights now, for the La Liga coverage.