Report: Alan Smith to leave NUFC in January?

Thespence

He was s*** in the best team the CHampionship has ever seen, what makes you think 2 years later he'll do well in an average Championship side?

Can't recall Smith playing in Reading's 2005/6 team.

Agree with the sentiment though.

Reading side was overrated. Rest of the league was weaker then.

I do kind of feel sorry for Smith as there was a player (striker) there before his leg break, not world class or anything but generally good.

Since then he's admitted that he can't play up front any more as he can't do certain things with his leg. He's tried to change position but just doesn't have the mindset for it. He's been a really good professional.

So while I want to see the back of him from a purely financial/playing strength perspective, I won't boo him.

Nethertheless it will take an absolute fuckwit of a chairman to bring him to their club on the wage Smith will demand.

We are in a very bad negotiating position with the 25 man rule in that we already have 24 players and want to sign more, but to do that Smith is out of the 25. Come August/September, clubs that can't afford his wages are going to be able to negotiate their wage contribution as low as possible and we'll be right over the barrel.

Or alternatively we will miss out on at least one transfer target because Smith is still here.

Nethertheless it will take an absolute fuckwit of a chairman to bring him to their club on the wage Smith will demand.

We are in a very bad negotiating position with the 25 man rule in that we already have 24 players and want to sign more, but to do that Smith is out of the 25. Come August/September, clubs that can't afford his wages are going to be able to negotiate their wage contribution as low as possible and we'll be right over the barrel.

Or alternatively we will miss out on at least one transfer target because Smith is still here.

Who are our 25 men?

Who are our 25 men?

We've got a very hefty squad tbf, it's just low on quality in certain areas.

Who are our 25 men?

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,76735.0.html

Currently at 24.

Neil Taylor is 25.

Therefore one in one out after him if we don't want to be paying wages for non-players (we are not Man City)

Who are our 25 men?

We've got a very hefty squad tbf, it's just low on quality in certain areas.

We do, but i'd have thought some wouldn't need registering while others are not worth registering.

Harper

Krul

Forster

Simpson

Raylor

Taylor

Williamson

Colo

Enrique

Naylor

Tiote

Barton

Cabaye

Guthrie

HBA

Jonas

Marvauex

Shola

Ba

Loven

Best

Gosling & Ferguson still u21.

Smith to go, same with Best, Routledge still with us? Perch to go as well.

And Xisco, you are right, more than you'd think.

I wouldn't even bother registering quite a few if we get new players in. We simply wouldn't miss Xisco, Smith & Perch, and hopefully they know that and will do anything to leave.

Routledge, Perch and Smith will go at the very least. Possibly Best too, so that's 4 or 5 spaces.

Actually wouldn't be surprised if either Harper went or one of the two keepers went on loan with Soderberg being #3. We'll have no worries with the squad, only one who's dodgy is Smith and I still expect him to be gone one way or another to free space.

Edit: Xisco too, aye.

The big problem is that we are playing wages roulette risking that someone will come for the players outside of the 25.

If I'm a buyer, I wait until the last minute then negotiate an incredibly cheap loan offer.

I do kind of feel sorry for Smith as there was a player (striker) there before his leg break, not world class or anything but generally good.

Since then he's admitted that he can't play up front any more as he can't do certain things with his leg. He's tried to change position but just doesn't have the mindset for it. He's been a really good professional.

So while I want to see the back of him from a purely financial/playing strength perspective, I won't boo him.

Same, I don't hate him, he's just poor.

Still think he would have been better off trying to make it somewhere as a striker, or dropping down a division where the game is a bit slower for him.

I can see us having to pay off some or all of his contract just to get the squad place back. Probably the best we can hope for is that some Championship or League Two club takes him and we end up paying 95 percent of his wages.

Well he's on £50k, they should be able to offer him £15k, i think if he wants paying we should only match what they'd offer for his final year.

He's been told he's not wanted, he's made his money, now is his chance to make peace with the Leeds fans who despise him for moving to Manu.

:sadnod:

I can see us having to pay off some or all of his contract just to get the squad place back. Probably the best we can hope for is that some Championship or League Two club takes him and we end up paying 95 percent of his wages.

Well he's on £50k, they should be able to offer him £15k, i think if he wants paying we should only match what they'd offer for his final year.

He's been told he's not wanted, he's made his money, now is his chance to make peace with the Leeds fans who despise him for moving to Manu.

Who can afford 15K for Alan Smith in the Championship?

Sooner he fucks off the better. Has precisely nothing to offer this football club any more. I'd offer to pay about half of his wages if he signed for someone else and got his useless arse out of the club. It would be £25k a week saved rather than £50k a week wasted on this knacker.

don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. Rough calculations show he's taken about £11m out of this club over the course of the last 4 years. That's £11,000,000. He doesn't deserver any sympathy either. If it's cash he wants - he's got loads of it. If it's regular football he wants then why hasn't he already moved?

Get the twat out of the door asap.

Leeds. They have players on that much already, and can be offset for signing him on a free.

You think they are going to get Bowyer and Woody to play for them for the giggles?

Leeds. They have players on that much already, and can be offset for signing him on a free.

You think they are going to get Bowyer and Woody to play for them for the giggles?

with ken bates that might actually be the plan