Vuvuzela

Thespence

Guest firetotheworks

I can't stand the brass bands eg England, Holland or the bass drums of Bolton, but you can't expect them to stop just because you don't like it.

Aye, I hate them too, and the Porstmouth bells, but you can still hear the atmosphere and everything else. In a sense I don't mind the noise, it's that it's masking everything else that gets to me. Goals are met by silence rather than cheers, I don't like it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Explain the culture behind them please.

African games are all about colour, noise, outlandish costumes, etc Thats what we are all about. We Dress in crazy stupid outfits, with big sunglasses and hats etc. We make a noise with our vuvuzela (amongst other instruments). That is what African football is all about.

It might not make sense to you. Neither does a man taking 10 wives. Just respect that other countries and their supporters are different than yours.

Try singing; oh wait you've got no craic so you must blow a trumpet for 90 mins and think you are great.

It's noise for the sake of it

Yeap, that's probably the best way of putting it.

Banning them would set a strange precedent.

The only grounds on which they can realistically ban them is over players complaining they can't communicate with each other. That list of players is growing. Still can't see them getting banned sadly. And I still can't get over how retarded you would have to be to think blowing them non stop is awesome!

African games are all about colour, noise, outlandish costumes, etc Thats what we are all about. We Dress in crazy stupid outfits, with big sunglasses and hats etc. We make a noise with our vuvuzela (amongst other instruments). That is what African football is all about.

It might not make sense to you. Neither does a man taking 10 wives. Just respect that other countries and their supporters are different than yours.

"We're crazy, outlandish and exciting!  That's why we enforce a constant, monotonous drone which essentially censors cheering, singing, the sounds of crowd excitement or any other musical instruments!"

They make South Africa's support dull.  Deathly dull.  Thank to the constant drone you've adopted, your so called "outlandish" support makes the Germans look like Mardi Gras.

:clap:

It seems to me the people inside the grounds haven't had much experience at football matches, not top quality anyway, and do not understand what an atmosphere should be like and how it should effect the game.

Its comments like this, and there are many others above that really fuel the total disrepectful fire...

Our football isnt as good as yours.

Our fans arent as knowledgable as yours.

Our support isnt as good as yours.

I shouldnt get sucked into "debates" like this because for all i know im probably talking to children.

Ill leave it at that for now.

On behalf of all of Africa, we apologise that we are different to you.

Hey, if you want a reputation as one of the most boring, joyless sets of fans on the planet then by all means continue droning.  It's certainly different.

hay, if you want a reputation as a country full of hooligans with total disrespect for the countries you visit, then by all means....

Guest icemanblue

Hey, if you want a reputation as one of the most boring, joyless sets of fans on the planet then by all means continue droning.  It's certainly different.

hay, if you want a reputation as a country full of hooligans with total disrespect for the countries you visit, then by all means....

:lol: How does saying a sound is annoying make people hooligans like? Does that mean that every nation, other than the zany, free spirited Africans, is supported only by hooligans? I'm pretty sure they all think they're shit too.

African games are all about colour, noise, outlandish costumes, etc Thats what we are all about. We Dress in crazy stupid outfits, with big sunglasses and hats etc..

All of which is great. Great traditions will be embraced. Moronic traditions that don't hurt or annoy anyone will be embraced. Moronic traditions that are just a nuisance will piss everyone off.

"We're crazy, outlandish and exciting!  That's why we enforce a constant, monotonous drone which essentially censors cheering, singing, the sounds of crowd excitement or any other musical instruments!"

They make South Africa's support dull.  Deathly dull.  Thank to the constant drone you've adopted, your so called "outlandish" support makes the Germans look like Mardi Gras.

:clap:

It seems to me the people inside the grounds haven't had much experience at football matches, not top quality anyway, and do not understand what an atmosphere should be like and how it should effect the game.

Its comments like this, and there are many others above that really fuel the total disrepectful fire...

Our football isnt as good as yours.

Our fans arent as knowledgable as yours.

Our support isnt as good as yours.

I shouldnt get sucked into "debates" like this because for all i know im probably talking to children.

Ill leave it at that for now.

On behalf of all of Africa, we apologise that we are different to you.

I'm waiting for the racism card, you've played everything else.  :rolleyes:

Face it, they are shite, annoying fans across the world, disrupting players ability to communicate with each other and destroying atmospheres within the grounds. You are not different; you are thick as mince and want shot with shit for backing these fuking things.

It only needs some of the players to start ignoring the ref's whistle and claiming they can't hear it.

Easy.

Might come in handy next time Rooney calls the ref a cunting shitbag actually.

Guest thenorthumbrian

They dont bother me that much. I keep forgetting about them, the only time i ever get irritated by them is when someone mentions them and I remember how annoying they are. Still though, I'd prefer they didn't use them at all like but it's no massive deal for me.

mind you the atmosphere in most premiership matches is flat as a fart.

Do want to kill off the atmosphere in S Africa as well  ?

It's not 'their' World Cup. It's the 'World' cup and they should embrace common footballing culture.

It is their World Cup.  It's theirs to host.  If their fans want to blow horns for 90 mins, that's their choice.

It only needs some of the players to start ignoring the ref's whistle and claiming they can't hear it.

Easy.

Yep, all it needs is a group of players to say something. As soon as they affect the football itself, they have to go, and I think they do.

It's worse when you have a surround sound system set up, I keep looking over my shoulder for fear of being mauled by, what sounds like, an angry swarm of hornets.

First of all these plastic bastards aren't even cultural, they were used by the Mexicans in the seventies and have been a South African "tradition" for little more than 5 years. Its about as African as a Soweto-based Burger King.

Secondly, noone is trying to 'de-africanize' the World Cup. We're all embracing the zaniness of the African supporters; their passion and enthusiasm is doing nothing but contribute to the whole spectacle. Tens of thousands of idiots blowing monotones out of some plastic tube, however, is destroying the ambience of football matches, it's drowning out the atmosphere and ruining the experience for countless people watching all over the world. We won't have another world cup in Africa for quite a while, so as a host nation, South Africa needs to step up and ban these god-awful things so we look back on it with fond memories.

It's worse when you have a surround sound system set up, I keep looking over my shoulder for fear of being mauled by, what sounds like, an angry swarm of hornets.

First of all these plastic bastards aren't even cultural, they were used by the Mexicans in the seventies and have been a South African "tradition" for little more than 5 years. Its about as African as a Soweto-based Burger King.

Secondly, noone is trying to 'de-africanize' the World Cup. We're all embracing the zaniness of the African supporters; their passion and enthusiasm is doing nothing but contribute to the whole spectacle. Tens of thousands of idiots blowing monotones out of some plastic tube, however, is destroying the ambience of football matches, it's drowning out the atmosphere and ruining the experience for countless people watching all over the world. We won't have another world cup in Africa for quite a while, so as a host nation, South Africa needs to step up and ban these god-awful things so we look back on it with fond memories.

I've just received a new amp this morning set it up and the first thing i've sat down to watch is the football, 9 mins in and i want to take a cricket bat to my new toy. :~(

I've just received a new amp this morning set it up and the first thing i've sat down to watch is the football, 9 mins in and i want to take a cricket bat to my new toy. :~(

I can actually picture the regretful post, describing in detail your vicious rampage. :lol:

I can actually picture the regretful post, describing in detail your vicious rampage. :lol:

Once upon a time, probably. Not now though.  :lol:

I think.  :frantic:

As for the vuvuzela's, they're absolutely stupid and are succeeding in doing absolutely nothing other than making African people look like a bunch of brainless retards who haven't got the mental capacity to do anything to add to the atmosphere of the games other than make the same annoying sound for a full month.