Last group match

alpal78
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For me the last group match is one of the most exciting stage...it's do or die time. Even more exciting this WC as some really big teams could end up being eliminated at the group stage though I suspect most would persevere. Vote as many teams as you think would be eliminated, with some comments if you want to explain your vote, then let's see how your vote compares to the actual result.

I went for France, Ivory Coast and a sneaky feeling that Italy too will go out. France probably has the least chance, can't see them even beating S.Africa who will want a great final game and can see Uruguay and Mexico playing a draw (though the fear of going against Argentina in the 2nd round might motivate both teams to go for the win). I. Coast too have almost no chance, can't see such a swing in goal difference between them and Portugal. Italy I don't know, just my gut instinct. I'm backing England with their back to the walls to pull through (I hope that does not jinx them)!

France and Ivory Coast. Not too sure about Germany as they had one great game and one which wasn't that good. Young team - don't know how they'll react under that pressure now, but I expect them to go through. Same with England, I think it'll be a close win against Slovenia.

I went for Spain, I think they may be in trouble with Goal Difference.

Why? They simply have to win against Chile and are through. Chile's GD at the moment is + 2. Spain's is + 1. So in case of Spain winning it would make: Chile: +1, Spain + 2. Spain are through as soon as they win against Chile.

Or did I get something wrong here?

I went for Spain, I think they may be in trouble with Goal Difference.

Why? They simply have to win against Chile and are through. Chile's GD at the moment is + 2. Spain's is + 1. So in case of Spain winning it would make: Chile: +1, Spain + 2. Spain are through as soon as they win against Chile.

Or did I get something wrong here?

I think you are right with the goal difference, but not so sure it would be that easy to beat Chille who will need at least a draw to qualify.

Guest Roger Kint

Simply beat Chile? Yeah its a real piece of piss game isnt it ;D

Think France are nailed on, Italy may well struggle. Only other would be Portugal/IC where GD could well save Portugal unless Brazil rest a few.

Guest Roger Kint

I don't think Spain can beat Chile, so I went for Spain. Other than that of course France and Ivory Coast.

And as a surprise Germany. I think Ghana will get a draw and Serbia will win against Australia.

Just realised i clicked Portugal by accident.......whoops haha

France, Ivory Coast, England

Is what I said too...

How does Cote d'Ivoire count as a "big" team? Because they have a few players in the EPL? Ghana are African Cup of Nations runners-up, and Cameroon is the highest FIFA-ranked (participating) African nation...

France, Ivory Coast and Spain.

France and Ivory Coast are pretty obvious. Spain are in trouble because I think Chile will be an extremely tricky game which they likely have to win.

France, Ivory Coast and Spain.

France and Ivory Coast are pretty obvious. Spain are in trouble because I think Chile will be an extremely tricky game which they likely have to win.

It's strange, because Chile (hope they go through) are 3 points ahead of Spain and Switzerland yet you can make a case for them being in the weakest position going in to the last round of games. Switzerland are likely to beat Honduras, taking them on to 6 points, and Chile wouldn't want to have to play Spain for a result, yet at the same time Spain would want an easier game, it's a fascinatingly close group.

France, Ivory Coast, England

Is what I said too...

How does Cote d'Ivoire count as a "big" team? Because they have a few players in the EPL? Ghana are African Cup of Nations runners-up, and Cameroon is the highest FIFA-ranked (participating) African nation...

Hahaha I knew someone would say that. The use of the term 'big' is just based on my impression of the teams that were thought as having a good chance of progressing before the World Cup started. I did think of including Ghana but then felt it would have been one too many. I still think Ivory Coast is currently the best of the African teams especially with Essien out for Ghana.

I've got a strange feeling France will go through. Just got a feeling they'll walk over South Africa and Uruguay will beat Mexico.

Dare you put some money on that "strange feeling" of yours? Odds for France to qualify are quite decent!

England, Ivory Coast and France.

Reasoning, England have fucked up what should have been the banker match and won't be able to win against Slovenia who will just park the bus.  Portugal and Brazil will draw, plus Portugal are cunts so will be in there as long as possible just to annoy me.  France need a miracle, and I can't see South Africa not picking up a win in thier home tournament.

Think I will do. I know the smart bet is a guaranteed draw between the other two, but looking at quotes from Forlan & Marquez they don't particularly want to face Argentina in the next round so can see one of them winning it, and France nicking through.