Capello stays on

Doctor Zaius
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Everyone laughs at Maradona for using 50-odd players in qualifying... but Capello has used the same pool of 20-odd players and that has been his downfall, ultimately.

Scared to move away from the same old players, regardless of form or state.

I hope we keep Capello and he hands P45s to the lot of them.

Me too.

Some of those players have never done it for England with any consistency - Lampard, for example. All i associate him with in an England shirt is endless pointless fucking shots ballooning over the bar from 30 yards.

Gerrard is another. Not as bad as Lampard, but even so, he's been at best mediocre for England. Then there's John Terry, who as well as being not as good as he thinks he is, has the added bonus of being a moral reptile.

Throw in some of the extras who get predictably chucked on (SWP) and faces who shouldn't even be on the same continent as the national side, let alone in it, (Heskey, Upson), and it is all depressing.

Get rid of the fucking lot, start again. That was Capello's biggest mistake, he said he wouldnt pick players who weren't on form, and he wouldn't pick players who were injured, then he went and did precisely that, and picked another player who doesnt even get a game at club level (Heskey).

I totally agree save for the fact I'd encourage him to move on for exactly what your last sentence says.

Me too.

Some of those players have never done it for England with any consistency - Lampard, for example. All i associate him with in an England shirt is endless pointless f***ing shots ballooning over the bar from 30 yards.

Gerrard is another. Not as bad as Lampard, but even so, he's been at best mediocre for England. Then there's John Terry, who as well as being not as good as he thinks he is, has the added bonus of being a moral reptile.

Throw in some of the extras who get predictably chucked on (SWP) and faces who shouldn't even be on the same continent as the national side, let alone in it, (Heskey, Upson), and it is all depressing.

Get rid of the f***ing lot, start again. That was Capello's biggest mistake, he said he wouldnt pick players who weren't on form, and he wouldn't pick players who were injured, then he went and did precisely that, and picked another player who doesnt even get a game at club level (Heskey).

Agreed.

Everyone laughs at Maradona for using 50-odd players in qualifying... but Capello has used the same pool of 20-odd players and that has been his downfall, ultimately.

Did Capello have a reason to move away from those 20 players before they bottled the World Cup?

I'm not too sure that he did.

Did Capello have a reason to move away from those 20 players before they bottled the World Cup?

I'm not too sure that he did.

You could argue that, but you could also argue that he had no way of having a contingency plan or a plan B - because he refused to experiment with trying out the other players. I wasn't really after having Bent in the squad, at all - but he got about 60 minutes to prove himself after a very good season, and was consigned to the rubbish bin.

The Heskey thing is beyond comprehension.

I appreciate he did OK against the USA, but, even if you get beyond the concept today of bringing him on when you're chasing a goal, you have to look at the very notion of picking a player who has not had a regular game in an unexceptional side this season.

Every time he comes on for us, you can hear the groans of depression go around the ground. He's patently not good enough to be playing in the upper echelons of the Premier League, a blind man on a galloping horse could spot that.

So why does he persist in the national team? He's fucking indestructable ... managers change, but he's always there. We then hear that Rooney loves playing alongside him. Michael Owen did, too, apparently (which ignores the fact that Michael Owen is history), but then we hear Rooney telling the media he likes to play alone up front.

So how is it that Heskey persists?

You could argue that, but you could also argue that he had no way of having a contingency plan or a plan B - because he refused to experiment with trying out the other players. I wasn't really after having Bent in the squad, at all - but he got about 60 minutes to prove himself after a very good season, and was consigned to the rubbish bin.

I also agree with that but I can understand why he went with most of the players that he did.

I appreciate he did OK against the USA, but, even if you get beyond the concept today of bringing him on when you're chasing a goal, you have to look at the very notion of picking a player who has not had a regular game in an unexceptional side this season.

Every time he comes on for us, you can hear the groans of depression go around the ground. He's patently not good enough to be playing in the upper echelons of the Premier League, a blind man on a galloping horse could spot that.

So why does he persist in the national team? He's fucking indestructable ... managers change, but he's always there. We then hear that Rooney loves playing alongside him. Michael Owen did, too, apparently (which ignores the fact that Michael Owen is history), but then we hear Rooney telling the media he likes to play alone up front.

i think he must have certain pic of english managers to use as blackmail tbh

No he should not go BUT he will be hounded out - its just how it goes

The players are just not good enough, he could have perhaps tried some different formation BUT the end result really would have been the same - coming unstuck against a decent side

There are only a few players worth keeping, the rest need to be gotten rid of - I think more players like Wilshere are needed for the future

I'm fairly surprised with him TBH - I thought he was all about the team above the individual, but then he went and picked the same old players and played them out of position.

I wouldn't be bothered if he resigned... I don't think he has the potential to succeed with us anymore.

No he should not go BUT he will be hounded out - its just how it goes

The players are just not good enough, he could have perhaps tried some different formation BUT the end result really would have been the same - coming unstuck against a decent side

There are only a few players worth keeping, the rest need to be gotten rid of - I think more players like Wilshere are needed for the future

Thing is... he could have gone for Crouch up front, he could have taken Adam Johnson to play on the left, he could have kept Lennon for width on the right, he could have left out an unfit Barry, he could have dropped Rooney, he could have played Dawson instead of Upson,  etc etc.

He's not just the innocent victim of shit players, he's made a lot of mistakes recently.

So why does he persist in the national team? He's f***ing indestructable ... managers change, but he's always there. We then hear that Rooney loves playing alongside him. Michael Owen did, too, apparently (which ignores the fact that Michael Owen is history), but then we hear Rooney telling the media he likes to play alone up front.

i think he must have certain pic of english managers to use as blackmail tbh

90% of people on here wanted Heskey to partner Rooney upfront 'he's proven to bring the best out of Rooney' bullshit.

Getting rid of Capello would change nothing.

Aye, we as a country need to look at the football that gets played in our leagues, look at the players skill set and ask ourselves a few questions.

Getting rid of Capello would change nothing.

Aye, we as a country need to look at the football that gets played in our leagues, look at the players skill set and ask ourselves a few questions.

We will never change the English football culture IMO, we'll always be more about blood and thunder and getting stuck in.

What we need to learn to do is impose our style on games properly, remain organised and close down the opposition.

The defending for the goals yesterday was ludicrous. That falls on Capello, they've either ignored his instructions or hes set them up very poorly. He takes a decent amount of blame either way.

Bored of changing managers constantly, but hard to keep faith now. Going to Liverpool but would be happy with Hodgson taking over. Not that ive any idea if hed do well or not, so different from club football.

It's like he wants to be sacked tbh. Making that Heskey substitution was just mind boggling.

Basically, if he starts the Euro qual campaign by getting rid of 10 of the older players and bringing in 10 youngbloods, then I want him to stay.

If he does the same old shit, I want him gone.

Guest chris

capello is a joke

i have never liked him from day 1. He likes to sit deep all the time and makes silly subs at daft stages in the game.Anybody could see when Gerrard was central just short of Rooney england look"t good and look"t like getting some goals.

We've been through this before. If Capello is sacked, the calls for British manager would intensify. The FA won't be able to sack Capello and get another foreign manager. This would mean the likes of Redknapp getting the job. Fact is there are currently no British manager who is better than Capello not even Roy Hodgson.

What the FA should do is call him in, support him but also make it clear that what happened was unacceptable. Give him a clear mandate to revamp our first team including tactics and personnel. The objective is to qualify for 2012 and do well (whatever that is). Basically he has to start from scratch but also keep his eye on the end goal of 2012. 2 years is a long time and if he is worth his salt, then he should deliver - I think he can. One of the most remarkable attributes of Capello is his willingness to learn from his mistakes, no other top manager comes close. He would have seen himself on how his reliance on an aging 'experienced' group who were not all on form backfired. I'm sure he would try something very different for 2012 if given the chance.

Should get Woy in, proven international manager, can organise and get the best out of shit average players, means he won't potentially do a good job at Liverpool, Fulham might fall apart if he leaves. All good stuff.

It's like he wants to be sacked tbh. Making that Heskey substitution was just mind boggling.

Basically, if he starts the Euro qual campaign by getting rid of 10 of the older players and bringing in 10 youngbloods, then I want him to stay.

If he does the same old shit, I want him gone.

So would I if I'd just signed a £6m a year contract for 4 years.

Its not just Capello, which has been said before. But a whole number of things. I was watching SSN this morning and a German jounralist was on and was saying Terry, Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney earn more than the entire German squad. This single reason alone shows how the German players are going to have more passion for Germany and want to do well for their country.

So i'm laying the blame partly at Sky's door for contributing to the overpayment of players and influxing 'Divison 1' with foreign players blah blah blah.

I really cannot be bothered to go on. But thats just one of the tiny reasons for Englands failure of course