Capello stays on

Doctor Zaius
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't want to start a massive quote pyramid, but I'm definitely not just criticising his selections in hindsight... I always said I would start with Crouch, play A Johnson on the left, play Dawson instead of Upson, not take King and that stuff.

Whether it would have made a difference is another thing, obviously!

Also, it's not true that he would only have been able to succeed by winning the WC. If we had performed well, got to a decent stage (QF/SF) then gone out being outplayed by Brazil or someone most people would have been satisfied IMO.

Yah I take your point, a semi final exit with a decent showing might have been acceptable to the critics. But my point stands, had the team not achieved what was deemed acceptable, then regardless of whatever decision Capello had taken, the critics/media would have said that he was wrong and should have done the opposite. I don't know about you, but many who are saying he should brought the younger players would have then blamed him for not going with experienced Champion League players. You can almost see the headline "Capello naive boys humiliated against experienced Brazil"....etc. I suspect that bold decisions like dropping Rooney (had it not worked out) would have subjected him to even more poisonous criticism.

agreed, he either won the thing or was fucked either way on that front

probably 2 ways two go now: (1) let Capello tear this squad apart and rebuild over the next 2 tournaments see where we are or (2) let someone  else do it if there's no confidence in Capello within the existing players who will still be around like Rooney

(3) not tearing apart the squad ain't an option surely?

there's no point sticking with him if he doesn't have the players now, or if he doesn't feel he's got the balls for an overhaul job...i'd like to believe he picked this squad hoping the established players would perform and knowing it was too early on all fronts to replace half the squad in this world cup, if he see's it as a long term job he might do what needs doing now

danger with a new guy is we get another 4 years of Terry/Lamard/Gerrard/SWP/Barry and all the other shit that screwed the pooch this time

Personally I don't think he should. I'll admit he's made mistakes - but the real problem lies a lot deeper than just pointing the finger at Fabio Capello. I'm prepared to back him, we could certainly get no-one better.

Exactly my view on things.  Disastrous decisions made, but it's plain the players were on a different planet.  Plus, I only really realised how many starters in the last WC were out injured this time around.  Badly missed Hargreaves to be honest. 

Another thing I noticed, none of them seemed overly emotional yesterday and that to me suggests there is a lack of pride in playing for England.

Truth be told, it's an absolute joke that we're paying an Italian £6m a year to coach our national team with such abysmal results.

However, the contracts are signed and he should be kept on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/28/world-cup-2010-harry-redknapp-england

Harry Redknapp has made it clear that he would be keen to succeed Fabio Capello as England manager, should the FA decide it is time for another change at the helm of the national side. After England suffered their worst-ever World Cup finals defeat to Germany yesterday, Redknapp refused to say whether he thought Capello should be sacked but added that if they did he would be interested in the job.

"They [the FA] have got a manager and until he's not the manager it's difficult to talk about it," Redknapp told TalkSport. "But I'm English, who wouldn't want to manage England? There's not an Englishman - whether it's me, Roy Hodgson or Sam Allardyce - who would turn the job down because it's our country and we want to manage our country.

"No one is ever going to turn that job down. If you're English you cannot not want to manage your country."

Always said Capello is a world class club manager, but would never succeed as an International one due to the way he interacts with his players and how he is very stubborn. It just doesn't work over such a short period as a World Cup. Same goes with Mourinho, I have big doubts he'd manage to do well as an International manager due to his managing style.

All that said, though. The issue with England this year is clearly the players. Not just the manager. You can't turn a pile of shit into a pile of diamonds no matter how qualified people you get to try.

More or less nailed on now then. 

Just, personally, I think the more or less flawless qualifying campaign should act as a reminder that this tenure hasn't been totally shit.  Got to give the guy a chance to learn from his mistakes.  It's really not like Redknapp is going to get us any further than Sven ever did so he might as well get the second chance.  All a new manager does is bring about the revival of delusion and everyone proclaiming we'll win the fucking thing, again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/28/world-cup-2010-harry-redknapp-england

Harry Redknapp has made it clear that he would be keen to succeed Fabio Capello as England manager, should the FA decide it is time for another change at the helm of the national side. After England suffered their worst-ever World Cup finals defeat to Germany yesterday, Redknapp refused to say whether he thought Capello should be sacked but added that if they did he would be interested in the job.

"They [the FA] have got a manager and until he's not the manager it's difficult to talk about it," Redknapp told TalkSport. "But I'm English, who wouldn't want to manage England? There's not an Englishman - whether it's me, Roy Hodgson or Sam Allardyce - who would turn the job down because it's our country and we want to manage our country.

"No one is ever going to turn that job down. If you're English you cannot not want to manage your country."

That bit reads exactly the same as when he's tapping players up.

Guest BooBoo

I wouldn't be surprised if Capello and his backroom staff had fallen out. During the Slovenia game, Pearce was saying something to him on the touchline and Capello was steadfastly ignoring him. If Capello stats I think he'll shake up his coaching staff.

Guest BooBoo

As much as it pains, I think England might just benefit from the pally geezer knees up attitude of a Redknapp or Vegetables. I don't think the strict disciplinarian approach works well with the bloated ego maniacs that make up the vast majority of Englands players.

As much as it is good to have a great coach manage your team I feel motivation is more important. A national team manager only ever sees his team every so often for a couple of days. There's only so much coaching that can be done which is why I think it's more important to have a good motivator. I don't see Capello as this, he can hardly even speak the players language. By the sounds of it he just goes mental, shouting incoherent words and throwing things about the room. Weird more than motivating.

This could be why Maradona is having so much success so far.

As much as it pains, I think England might just benefit from the pally geezer knees up attitude of a Redknapp or Vegetables. I don't think the strict disciplinarian approach works well with the bloated ego maniacs that make up the vast majority of Englands players.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/05_02/McClarenDMp1062505_468x545.jpg

:nope:

The players friend.  Hearing him talk about "JT" and "Stevie" when he was manager :facepalm:

Agree, think the players would identify with and get on with Redknapp.

Means Lampard would be a nailed on cert to start, though.

I'd stop watching England if either of those two got the managers job, Venables has had the job before and was given a tournament on home soil with a good team and his record isn't as good as the record of Capello.

at last we agree

I'd stop watching England if either of those two got the managers job, Venables has had the job before and was given a tournament on home soil with a good team and his record isn't as good as the record of Capello.

He drew with Switzerland, the worst team in tournament, relied on a penalty save to beat Scotland, thrashed Holland, then were lucky against Spain before finally losing. Very lucky manager.

He drew with Switzerland, the worst team in tournament, relied on a penalty save to beat Scotland, thrashed Holland, then were lucky against Spain before finally losing. Very lucky manager.

And he did that with one of the best forward lines we've had in Ferdinand, Sheringham, Shearer and Fowler. 

I said weeks before the tournament started that Capello had bottled it and lost the plot as the tournament approached.

Those friendly games leading up to it were a joke.

Pissing about with players he'd never picked before, desperation calls to Carragher, Scholes, Seaman & Jimmy Greaves, suddenly shunting players he'd relied on throughout qualifying down the pecking order, tinkering with the tactics before going back to the same old in the WC, god awful squad selection....

Cue the FA with a 2 year extension before the impending disaster :lol::lol::lol:

To be fair, I didn't think they'd be quite as bad as they were but I wasn't expecting much more. QF was always going to be the max.