The Liverpool Thread

Parky

I think Hodgson's done reasonably well considering. Obviously getting Cole and Jovanovic for nothing has helped the squad. Poulsen's a shrewd buy too.

Still hope they crash and burn spectacularly though. :)

Guest Heneage

I think Hodgson's done reasonably well considering. Obviously getting Cole and Jovanovic for nothing has helped the squad. Poulsen's a shrewd buy too.

Still hope they crash and burn spectacularly though. :)

He's still ignored their biggest problem imo, he has no striking options past Torres.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Signing Konchesky is a score for me I reckon.

Not sure. Hodgson has signed a player he knows that will provide cover for a position that has been a little weak over the years. Wouldn't say its a terrible signing, just underwhelming for the Liverpool 'brand'.

• 3 weeks later...

I said earlier in the thread the job was possibly too big for him, and its looking that way. Tough times ahead, how he gets through them is the making or breaking of him, he's either got 2 years or 2 months at this rate.

As for Torres, I wondered if they'd put their eggs in one basket by keeping him, but never expected him to be this bad, he's almost useless ATM, unplayable but in that undroppable when fit. Still though quality doesn't just disappear, but carrying your best player in this form while bringing in a new manager, fan pressure, board struggle and a full squad and certainly first team rebuild needed is a horrible place for them to be right now. We all know how even one of these things can effect, couple combined and well it relegated us, they have no danger of that, but the real danger is they are currently the 5th biggest club in the league, nowhere near what the fans want and expected, so give it a couple of seasons and they can totally slip away from any CL spots, and never regain that kind of prestige for a decade. Easy done. The rot has well and truly set in and it has no sign of shifting, it's a real shame for the club, but their fans deserve nothing less.

Bet there's a few more Liverpool fans wondering whether they should have sold Torres and rebuilt properly instead of hanging on tooth and nail in Rafa Torres we trust. I know Jacko (ok there anre good Pool fans) wasn't keen on this, but really could have been the kickstart to the recovery and new beginnings, instead they are still stuck with the past and everything that got them to this position. The team can't change enough to make a difference, the only way they can without money is to sell some big stars, but too stubborn and too proud they'll limp on to oblivion, or until they find the rich nutcase they've been looking for. Jammy twats probably will find him as well.

As it stands its a wounded team, and the only patch job they can afford is a cheap one, and when that goes wrong they are left with a load more crap which simply are not Liverpool quality, same as the players Rafa filled his squad with, and spend plenty of Liverpool's money buying and selling rotten in the reserves once the reality set in.

Plus Hodgson is horribly average.

He's a good manager, but nowhere near the expected quality that Liverpool need or demand. He should have stuck at Fulham, kept them going and retired a well respected and/or club legend, instead he's come to a place where its totally different, hostility all around him and tainted the memories of the fans who thought he was a diamond.

It was a bold and ambitious move, it might still pay off, but I doubt it and feel sorry for him.