The Liverpool Thread

Parky

We should just pull out of all competitions in protest - no chance of winning anything with the FA in charge of the game anyway as they wouldn't allow it.

What in the absolute hell are these clowns cracking on about?

Scousers on smack shocker.

Well if they found he used that Uruguayan term that isn't racist there and they believed there was absolutely no racist intent I can understand 8 game ban and not a permanent one. Not convinced that's true though. (and if it is I completely believe he should still be punished, ignorance is no excuse for racism)

We should just pull out of all competitions in protest - no chance of winning anything with the FA in charge of the game anyway as they wouldn't allow it.

:lol: Pull out of all competitions ffs. Surprised no-one's suggested taking up cricket or something instead.

I think one of the most interesting things that has come out of the sports science revolution is the fact that it's now commonly accepted that player peak physically at ages 23-25, and this is most evident in baseball and the NFL. I suppose we will see transfer money being more and more directed towards younger players. Anyone who's buying someone who's 26+ has to realize that they're not getting the player's peak. I think we will see football teams realign their transfer budget accordingly in the next few years, and obscene fees won't be paid for anyone much older, which is different from the past when players aged 27-30 were still thought of as 'peaking'. I know football has a huge mental element, but there's no denying that fundamentally it is a very athletic game, and it's very, very rare that players who aren't elite physically are elite footballers. The physical part is a necessary feature of being 'elite', and thus the realization of when players peak and the allocation of transfer budgets towards younger players will be an irreversible trend.

But anyway, at its heart, moneyball is just a way of understanding the game better. Do I think that football is perfectly explained today? No. Do I think analysis could be better and more informative? Yes. So moneyball will play a part because there is still a huge knowledge gap between what we think we know and what actually happens. Football is a very complex sport but I believe that we'll gain a better understanding if we employ the methods that other sports now prioritize.

Enjoyed reading these posts but i'd disagree with this post. In football the elite players aren't always the most elite athletes. Mental and technical abilities don't peak until later in a footballers career. I'd take a 29 year old Zidane & Xavi over the 24 year old counter part. Same with most footballers.

I'd welcome this move tbh.

I just cannit understand it. Are they brainwashed or something? What a bunch of mentalists.

Fair enough it may seem hard because there is no precedent but you'd think he'd been banned for life / the club demoted they way they're going on.

Even without the ambiguity in the Suarez case you can't go around throwing lifetime bans at people for an isolated incident on a football pitch - the focus needs to be on suitable punishment, education and rehabilitation.  It's interesting that there's also an element of ambiguity in the Terry case, although of a different sort.

Also, both players are arseholes but they aren't known as raving Nazi lunatics off the pitch, in which case I could understand considering longer bans.  In fact both players have had numerous professionals come out and defend them as non-racists in the last few months, it's madness to suggest banning either for life for these incidents ffs. :lol:

he's by an incredible distance their best player, so they just can't bring themselves to believe it and are looking for excuses and justifications and will latch on to whatever no matter how wacky. i'm sure there'd be one or two on here would try and do the same if something like this happened to coloccini tbh.

what is probably unique to the scousers, however, is the sheer melodrama, hyperbole, self-aggrandisement, narcissism and paranoid delusions that they're exhibiting. you get exposed to it in tiny doses by reading most the football related threads on RAWK, but this is like chernobyl melting down and all the bullshit pouring out in one go. marvellous stuff.

It gets better :lol:

Some alternative options, bar the traditional ones:

1. Pull out of the FA Cup;

2. Get the the final and then pull out, deliberately ruining their showpiece match; or

3. Win it but leave without collecting the trophy

Might have read it wrong but some bloke on there was talking about leaving the league. :lol:

Right talk as much fucking shite as you want.

I have been on this site a while. I have always been 100% Against the "Euopean Super League"

But now that's the only answer.

Fuck this shower of c*nts off. Leave. That's it. The only answer.

There is honestly no other. Once this gets this bad. I mean fucking come on? How bad does it have to get?

:lol:

As if that lot would be in the European Super League :lol:

Come off it, we didn't sack a player who was in prison for months for assault.

And some on here went on to idolise him.

No different.

Agree.

However, I didn't see many who at the time supported him. Time heals all wounds and that, but to come out with the kind of support Suarez is getting is downright disgusting.

No different.

Yup.

No different.

Agree.

However, I didn't see many who at the time supported him. Time heals all wounds and that, but to come out with the kind of support Suarez is getting is downright disgusting.

Hmmm. I think the Andy Carroll example is more apt.

A lot of people on here were all too happy to vilify Steven Taylor at the time of the Carroll v. Taylor fight. Fans are willing to forgive a lot of off field behavior if they player is performing. Carroll was scoring goals and Taylor was (generally) considered shit.