The Liverpool Thread

Parky

They should throw the book at Liverpool if his appeal fails.

They're seemingly promoting and supporting racist behaviour in the Premier League. Goes against everything we're supposed to be standing for.

They're seemingly promoting and supporting racist behaviour in the Premier League. Goes against everything we're supposed to be standing for.

Absolutely agree with that.

Thirded, it's a fucking joke and Liverpool should be ashamed. The least they should do is treat the situation with quiet respect, even if they still support Suarez in private.

I sit next to a Uraguayan at work who's astonished it's an issue in the slightest, the culture and usage of the terminology there is completely different. Had a pretty interesting chat with him but he's a Suarez fanboy and blatantly loves a cheeky bit of racism so it was a bit one sided. There's a Tim Vickery piece on the BBC sport that starts off by giving an extremely good insight into the culture of the words, I've linked below.

That's the other side of the coin: beyond what the words Suarez used may mean, there's the question of what's racist, which is *very* dependent on culture. What would be perceived in hyper-sensitive Britain as racist would not be in other cultures less sensitive to racism. And then there's the differing sensitivity to perceived racism against different races: in the UK, people are very sensitive to racism against blacks but not against, say, Albanians because there are a lot of blacks but few Albanians. A few weeks ago, an extremely liberal, pro-immigrant German lass who spends all her time helping kids from immigrant families, who would never dream of saying anything anti-Turkish, told me that "laying an Obama in the White House" is slang for having a shit (there are very few black people in Germany, and most racism is directed against Turks, Arabs and East Europeans).

-------------------

With regards to the FA's ruling: it's a complete cop-out. They've found him guilty of indecent/abusive behaviour and punished him for racism. An 8 match ban is ridiculous for what they've found him guilty of. FFS, Rooney got a 2-game ban for running up to the TV camera and shouting "fuck off" into it. They should have either given him a punishment typical of the violation they found him guilty of or had the balls to label him a racist along with clearly you've-been-found-guilty-of-racism ban they handed him.

Whilst I agree with the first half of your post that's not necessarily the point. It may well be inoffensive in his culture but there are ramifications beyond that - he's been in Europe for some time by now and as such must realise that it's extremely offensive to refer to people in such a manner. He's not a complete idiot, surely he knew what he was doing and as such theoretically it could still be construed as racist?

I'm just theorising mind, don't know the ins and outs of the case.

Plus it's funny as fuck he's been banned for 8 games.

Or maybe not. It seems bizarre that this could have been the first time he'd said such things in four years. Also, seeing as there were no other witnesses, why did Suarez freely admit he'd said "negrito"? If he had believed it was racist, surely he'd have just denied it. More likely, he wasn't aware of how hypersensitive the UK is to perceived racism.

hypersensitive. You mean civilized and responsive, yes? Or would you rather the UK be like the Spaniards and make monkey chants at black players or like the Russians who throw bananas at them instead?

Thirded, it's a fucking joke and Liverpool should be ashamed. The least they should do is treat the situation with quiet respect, even if they still support Suarez in private.

Quiet respect. :yao:

hypersensitive. You mean civilized and responsive, yes? Or would you rather the UK be like the Spaniards and make monkey chants at black players or like the Russians who throw bananas at them instead?

Just want to second this, really annoys me when people say we are too sensitive to racism. Do we want rid of it from our culture or not? We need to act quick and severely to keep making progress IMO.

Is it just me who, yes, thinks Liverpool should get the book thrown at them, but they'll get off with a slap on the wrists?

This is a chance for the FA to really send out a message and underline an absolute zero tolerance approach to all racism.

FA won't be happy with the shirts thing....:lol:

They better do something. It's a joke, they're effectively making a mockery of the guilty verdict and punishment.

If the appeal fails his ban should be rounded up to 10 matches, also, for shits and giggles.

Is it just me who, yes, thinks Liverpool should get the book thrown at them, but they'll get off with a slap on the wrists?

This is a chance for the FA to really send out a message and underline an absolute zero tolerance approach to all racism.

Me too. Actually fuming about this. Hate racism in all forms, but what I hate equally as much is the cowardly behaviour of not making a clear stand against it. Does not take much for Liverpool to come out and just condemn all sorts of racism.

Guest neesy111

The Liverpool fans protecting him are as guilty as he is.

Didn't you know, though, it's Liverpool, and they're entitled to do what they want? THEY'RE LIVERPOOL DAMNIT! FAMOUS EUROPEAN NIGHTS!!!

Love your Sarcasm Neil.