The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Guest Phil K

Would rather win FA Cup (and League Cup) and finish 12th than simply finish 5th......

To be honest, me too.

Guest neesy111

Would rather win FA Cup (and League Cup) and finish 12th than simply finish 5th......

To be honest, me too.

I'd take an FA Cup and finish 17th every day of the week.

To be honest, me too.

I'd take an FA Cup and finish 17th every day of the week.

Defo. Relegation would be a very tough call though. You might never come back from that.

öhhh, I wouldn´t take a cup win and see us get relegeted or close to is :lol: For me the league is everything and europe (if we play there). But of course. If we are doing badly in the league I wouldn´t mind a cup win. But to trade it... nah.

I would rather have the season we have now for 10 years than have Liverpools.

Swings and roundabouts. You're buzzing now because you're on the verge of getting back into the CL after a fairly long time. It ain't the same if you're in it every year.

Look at Arsenal. CL every year, but f*** all to show for it.

I agree with it over the long run. So in a way maybe I can´t argue with you here. But where we are now I wouldn´t take a low league position with a cup instead of a CL fight.

But say that we finish in 5-6 place 10 years in a row, or something like that, then I may would reconsider the offer...

When you think of it though it´s quite insane how bad we have been in the cups the last 10 years or so. How is it that we never gets going in the cups, while it feels like every club in the PL has done it at some point?!?!

Though, hopefully we can next year combine a cup run AND a high league position :shifty:

Thursday, 3 May 2012

Liverpool crest

Liverpool have reported a loss of almost £50million for the last financial year as a result of failed new stadium costs and pay-offs to former manager Roy Hodgson and other staff.

Despite owners Fenway Sports Group wiping out debts of £200m with their October 2010 purchase of the club, they had to write off a further £35m associated with the doomed HKS-designed Stanley Park project of predecessors Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

And Hodgson's exit in January 2011, after just 191 days in charge, and the departure of former managing director Christian Purslow, contributed to a further £8.4m relating to contract terminations, accounts filed to Companies House show.

Current managing director Ian Ayre insists the accounts, without that "extraordinary" expenditure, are in good shape.

"I guess people will focus on the loss of £49.4m and there's no business - or people running any business - who are going to be pleased with any loss," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"But I think the important indicator here is this £59m charge for exceptional items and as a business that's been in a transition, it's about moving from where we were to where we want to be.

"We have written off a huge amount on the stadium project. A big chunk of that £50m loss relates to the HKS project - which is now defunct - and associated costs around that."

On the accounts as a whole Ayre said they were in better shape long-term as a result of the action taken by the owners. The figures do not include the kit deal signed with American company Warrior Sports, which is worth at least £25million a year.

"If we had not written off these extraordinary costs, we would have been looking at breaking even," Ayre said.

"We have reduced interest charges from £18m to about £3m. That puts us in a much stronger position to utilise our revenues more effectively on the team. These figures in many ways represent the commitment of the owners, in paying down the acquisition debts and in other areas."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/liverpool-report-losses-of-50million-16153606.html?r=RSS#ixzz1trKCp6Eg

These odious wankers can afford to waste 50m on a new stadium that's not being built man, all because they used to win league titles and enjoyed the anomaly of a champions league win in the last few years. Please stay kenny, please stay.

Guest neesy111

We can safely say that we at NUFC are in one of the best financial positions in the league.

No way would I rather win the FA cup and finish 17th like, fucking hell :lol:

The consequences could be devastating for the future and no player will stay or leave due to a trophy win if the team looks THAT unstable, we've been stuck in limbo before and it's shite. Top 10 and an FA Cup win aye, it's a comfortable position to push on from and you would have have enjoyed the season.

Silverware is your bread and butter at the end of the day, but it's absolutely worthless to me if i'm not going to enjoy the ride there, and I certainly wouldn't enjoy a relegation threatened FA Cup victory more than I have with us potentialy finishing 4th (which even disregarding the fact this has been a unbelievable ride, it would also get us back onto the biggest stage of European football potentialy push onto the next level, far more than a domestic cup would)

Guest PhilB

Surely that 25m a season sponsor ship deal will be looked at, 25m a year in sponsorship from the owners own business  :whistle:

Really?  First I've heard.  Source?

Guest PhilB

On another note, to think Benitez was prepared to sell Xabi a season earlier and replace him with Gareth Barry!

Yes, prepared to sell a Xabi that had, for the previous two seasons, been off form by his own standards.  So bad that Rafa couldn't even get 16 million for him that summer.

On another note, to think Benitez was prepared to sell Xabi a season earlier and replace him with Gareth Barry!

Yes, prepared to sell a Xabi that had, for the previous two seasons, been off form by his own standards.  So bad that Rafa couldn't even get 16 million for him that summer.

Still quality though as he has proved for Madrid and Spain, even though Barry has been valuable to Man City I would have taken Xabi any day over him. That being said maybe Xabi was off form due to his want to go back to Spain???

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

PhilB impresses me with how quickly he appears to put out any fires.

Guest Chubby Jason

Benitez was a top manager for Liverpool. I don't think there can be any argument against the fact that they'd be higher up the table had they stuck with Rafa and backed him the same way Dalglish has been backed.