The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Got their share of luck today, but also worked their socks off and took their chances well. Great game.

Prefer them to win over Chelsea/Man City. If Liverpool do win the league it feels like a victory for good coaching & tactics over big spending.

Except they've spent like £50m this season right.

Aye and whole squad today set them back £150m :lol: (and that counts Gerrard as £0).

Nothing compared to our squad at the weekend. Fair play to them. Only Shola is worth that much in my eyes.

Guest firetotheworks

Say what you want about their fans, it's their sense of entitlement when they've been nowhere near the top that has made sure that 20 or 30 years on from their peak, they're still a big club aiming for the top. We don't have that with our fans, even at the level that we should be aiming for and it's fucking shit.

Aye and whole squad today set them back £150m :lol: (and that counts Gerrard as £0).

Around £8m per player, not that much tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if City/Chelsea's benches cost that much.

Say what you want about their fans, it's their sense of entitlement when they've been nowhere near the top that has made sure that 20 or 30 years on from their peak, they're still a big club aiming for the top. We don't have that with our fans, even at the level that we should be aiming for and it's f***ing s***.

They have annoyed me with their sense of entitlement, but I think you're right. Wish our fans acted as if we're entitled to something more than crying and biting into a pillow.

Say what you want about their fans, it's their sense of entitlement when they've been nowhere near the top that has made sure that 20 or 30 years on from their peak, they're still a big club aiming for the top. We don't have that with our fans, even at the level that we should be aiming for and it's f***ing s***.

They have annoyed me with their sense of entitlement, but I think you're right. Wish our fans acted as if we're entitled to something more than crying and biting into a pillow.

It's a very valid point. The apathy at St James' is never going to win us cups.

For all they're an incredibly exciting team to watch, I don't think they're the best footballing side in the division, overall. They're absolutely immense on the counter, better than anyone else, but City are pretty excellent at that too and I think are superior at breaking defensive opposition down.

I do hope they win the division though.

Guest Dontooner

Nothing wrong with how Liverpool is playing atm, fully deserve the league title if they could outwit chelsea win the last 4 games.

Say what you want about their fans, it's their sense of entitlement when they've been nowhere near the top that has made sure that 20 or 30 years on from their peak, they're still a big club aiming for the top. We don't have that with our fans, even at the level that we should be aiming for and it's fucking shit.

Yep. It's not like they haven't won stuff or been up near the top of the league in all that time though.

To think we finished above these two seasons ago. Look at the difference some investment in the team and hiring a manager rather than a window fitter has made.Yet our fans still argue on behalf of the fraud.

Guest neesy111

If you've been near the top in recent time, you should be setting the standards to be like that again.  Unlike the current shambles we have when we have zero ambition from a sporting perspective.

Guest firetotheworks

Yep. It's not like they haven't won stuff or been up near the top of the league in all that time though.

That's true of course, but it's always been about winning the league for them and aside from 08/09, they've been nowhere near in the Premier League era. Winning the Champions League helps the ego obviously. :lol:

Guest neesy111

They're actually going to win it. Fuck's sake.

Deservedly, too. No denying that. Doesn't not make them horrible twats, though.

You sound bitter.

I've hated Gerrard for the majority of my life, but I really hope he gets to lift the PL trophy this season. At the end of the game today you could see how much he wanted it. Desperate. And he's carried them so often in the past as well.

Can't help myself wanting them to win it.

If/when they do win the PL, it will be deserved - they've played some fantastic stuff this season and they've had the right mix of homegrown, new faces and established players to get them through - all of this is really what you want to see in a team winning a league rather than a team of expensive individuals assembled together in the City/Chelsea mould. I really cannot see where Liverpool's next loss is going to come from, it's all in their hands and they're handling the pressure very well - the title is theirs to lose.

I would have been more than content and more willing to see them win it if it weren't for their insufferable cunts they call their fans but that's me.

Guest Dontooner

Like to see them win it but can't see them beating Chelsea.

All out attack tactics isn't really a tactic either, Mourinho kinds of jinx such teams.

Okay, finally home from the pub. Was out on the piss until 4 AM last night, thankfully managed to get myself up at 7 ,and head to Londoner, and it was amazing. Always great when the pub is packed when the sky is still dark outside.

On the game. I think overall we deserved it. SAS were our worst players by a mile, but thankfully rest of the team stepped up and we got some decisions our way to balance out the terrible officiating  at Ettihad back on Boxing day. Gerrard, Skrtel, Flanagan, Coutinho and Sterling were the best players for us I felt.

Thought we should have put the game to bed at 2-0 and missed several chances, but in a game of such stature it's never easy. Glad we got the lucky break, and just a shame about Henderson's red (deserved though ,a heat of the moment, but a dangerous tackle nonetheless). A step closer.

Read the thread, a few things I wanted to comment on:

1) Why don't they have a minute of silence for Heysel? Heysel anniversary is always watched and mourned at Anfield, but for the entire JFT39 comments, I find it incredibly small time. The whole reason the Hillborough campaign going on stronger than rest of football tragedy is that the dead and victims were portrayed as scumbags and the villains by the Sun and the government', so the mourning families not only had to go through loss of loved ones, but also the tags and wrong reputations they got as it was proved in September 2012. Whereas in Heysel, we were rightly identified as the ones in charge, people responsible WENT to jail, the ban came, and the responsible parties got some sort of punishment as they deserved. It hasn't happened for Hillsborough yet, and that's why the issue is ongoing. It was a football tragedy ffs that could have happened to any of us (I've been to a a football game where 7 people lost their lives and never went home - Iran vs. Japan WCQ 2006), so to use the snide comment I think is small time, no matter how much one doesn't like Liverpool FC.

2) About the outrage of "If Liverpool win it, we'll never hear the end of it." Admittedly, I don't live in England now to see how the media see it every day, but I don't think anything is going to match the drama of "Agueroooooooooooooooo" When he scored City's first title winning goal in 44 years. Plus, it's a world cup year, and from June ,the focus is all shifted. And We may have bad reputation among opposition fans, but it's not like Chelsea or City are saints. Abramovich money that has funded Chelsea's success hasn't exactly come from the right reasons, and the Sheikh money has come from loss of so many Indian lives in Dubai to due unprotected labour. We can do that for every club, I think we play good football, and it'd be a nice victory for football if it happened, though I fully understand if some disagree. Plus, Liverpool may get a media wankfest if they win, but so will Mourinho and his dire football. I hope City wins it, if we don't. I personally hate Chelsea more than Man Utd...so fingers crossed there.

3) On Liverpool fans feeling entitled, I agree with a post made in the other page. It's better to feel entitled than accepting (I can't claim any entitlement since I wasn't even born when the past glory was there in the 80s), but until you aim big, you won't try to reap big rewards. It may make you looks like a cunt in public, but eventually, it's for the good. I don't think any Liverpool fan regrets chanting "Hodgson for England" in Jan 2011, or making that "Dear Mr. Hicks" video in October 2010. It's a sport we all love. It's part of our lives and we are passionate to fight for it as much as we can as football fans.

In any case, hope the best team wins in the end , it's been quiet a journey (not one I'm used to), and the ride has been great. Let's what the next few weeks has in store for us.