The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Best team in the league; best to watch, playing the game in the right way and scoring shitloads of goals with a core of English players to boot. A big club with a rich tradition, and not built from nothing on ridiculous amounts of oil money like the other contenders.

Fair play to them, I hope they win it now.

Very much this.

Okay, finally home from the pub. Was out on the p*ss until 4 AM last night, thankfully managed to get myself up at 7 ,and head to Londoner, and it was amazing. Always great when the pub is packed when the sky is still dark outside.

On the game. I think overall we deserved it. SAS were our worst players by a mile, but thankfully rest of the team stepped up and we got some decisions our way to balance out the terrible officiating  at Ettihad back on Boxing day. Gerrard, Skrtel, Flanagan, Coutinho and Sterling were the best players for us I felt.

Thought we should have put the game to bed at 2-0 and missed several chances, but in a game of such stature it's never easy. Glad we got the lucky break, and just a shame about Henderson's red (deserved though ,a heat of the moment, but a dangerous tackle nonetheless). A step closer.

Read the thread, a few things I wanted to comment on:

1) Why don't they have a minute of silence for Heysel? Heysel anniversary is always watched and mourned at Anfield, but for the entire JFT39 comments, I find it incredibly small time. The whole reason the Hillborough campaign going on stronger than rest of football tragedy is that the dead and victims were portrayed as scumbags and the villains by the Sun and the government', so the mourning families not only had to go through loss of loved ones, but also the tags and wrong reputations they got as it was proved in September 2012. Whereas in Heysel, we were rightly identified as the ones in charge, people responsible WENT to jail, the ban came, and the responsible parties got some sort of punishment as they deserved. It hasn't happened for Hillsborough yet, and that's why the issue is ongoing. It was a football tragedy ffs that could have happened to any of us (I've been to a a football game where 7 people lost their lives and never went home - Iran vs. Japan WCQ 2006), so to use the snide comment I think is small time, no matter how much one doesn't like Liverpool FC.

2) About the outrage of "If Liverpool win it, we'll never hear the end of it." Admittedly, I don't live in England now to see how the media see it every day, but I don't think anything is going to match the drama of "Agueroooooooooooooooo" When he scored City's first title winning goal in 44 years. Plus, it's a world cup year, and from June ,the focus is all shifted. And We may have bad reputation among opposition fans, but it's not like Chelsea or City are saints. Abramovich money that has funded Chelsea's success hasn't exactly come from the right reasons, and the Sheikh money has come from loss of so many Indian lives in Dubai to due unprotected labour. We can do that for every club, I think we play good football, and it'd be a nice victory for football if it happened, though I fully understand if some disagree. Plus, Liverpool may get a media wankfest if they win, but so will Mourinho and his dire football. I hope City wins it, if we don't. I personally hate Chelsea more than Man Utd...so fingers crossed there.

3) On Liverpool fans feeling entitled, I agree with a post made in the other page. It's better to feel entitled than accepting (I can't claim any entitlement since I wasn't even born when the past glory was there in the 80s), but until you aim big, you won't try to reap big rewards. It may make you looks like a c*** in public, but eventually, it's for the good. I don't think any Liverpool fan regrets chanting "Hodgson for England" in Jan 2011, or making that "Dear Mr. Hicks" video in October 2010. It's a sport we all love. It's part of our lives and we are passionate to fight for it as much as we can as football fans.

In any case, hope the best team wins in the end , it's been quiet a journey (not one I'm used to), and the ride has been great. Let's what the next few weeks has in store for us.

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/didnt-read-lol-gif-6.gif

Guest Howaythetoon

There is lots to like about this Liverpool side. I for one hope they win it. It will be the biggest achievement in the history of the Premier League given that Rodgers is basically a rookie, they don't have the money City and Chelsea have and also given how their side isn't as star studded as others. If they do it they will show the rest of us that the ultimate can be achieved with good coaching, good management, the right footballing philosophy etc. and without the need to spend Chelsea/City type sums. Liverpool are a huge club, a world-wide club, so they are no minnows, but to win the title would be an absolutely amazing achievement in this day and age and should give hope to all. Well those with some ambition...

Us... we couldn't even spell the word never mind owt else!

Anyway, good luck to them.

Guest Howaythetoon

It is an achievement for the 5th most financed side to win the league. They could be Manchester United big rather easily.

I would never begrudge a self financed side winning the league, that's why I always wanted of the 3, Man Utd, Chelsea and City, Man Utd to win the league because whatever they achieved they did it as a football club and not because of the billions from their owners.

Take the Arabs away from City and they would be us at best, the mackems at worst. Take Abramovic away from Chelsea and they would be Spurs at best, us at worst.

I detest Liverpool fans and many other things about that club but them winning it would be a good thing for our game I think. Rodgers alone has transformed them which is a huge thumbs up to good old fashioned coaching, player development and a footballing philosophy.

Guest firetotheworks

It is an achievement for the 5th most financed side to win the league. They could be Manchester United big rather easily.

I would never begrudge a self financed side winning the league, that's why I always wanted of the 3, Man Utd, Chelsea and City, Man Utd to win the league because whatever they achieved they did it as a football club and not because of the billions from their owners.

Take the Arabs away from City and they would be us at best, the mackems at worst. Take Abramovic away from Chelsea and they would be Spurs at best, us at worst.

I detest Liverpool fans and many other things about that club but them winning it would be a good thing for our game I think. Rodgers alone has transformed them which is a huge thumbs up to good old fashioned coaching, player development and a footballing philosophy.

Through gritted teeth, you're spot on. They've done it the right way, which I'm on the fence about whether it makes me hate them and their fans more or less. Still it's not over yet like.

Want Liverpool to win it, have some great mates and my brother who support them and all they've ever wanted was the best for Newcastle and my livelihood.  On the football front, they play the game it should be played and I'm quite a big fan of what John Henry has done and continues to there.

Will be purely anguish-worthy-laughter if they are to win the title on the pitch against us. Closest our club will be to a premier league title trophy in some time, and sadly its just looking at the fucking thing.

"AMEOBI CLOSING INNNNNNNNNNNNNN....NEWCASTLE LEAD IN STOPPAGE TIME"

'AMEOBI CLOSING INNNNNNNN...it's out of the stadium.'

'AMEOBI CLOSING INNNNNNNN...throw in Liverpool'

I hope they win it as well though as others have mentioned they have some of the biggest bell ends as supporters and for those I hope they miss the celebrations through a month of severe diarrhoea. Memories of very poor behaviour down there for the FA Cup game and then KK's testimonial still rankle.

Leadership man, class. Fucking brilliant that.

Aye. Gerrard is many things, but he's not a bottler. He's risen to the occasion and dug us out of the shit many times in the biggest games. Hopefully, that'll rub off on the other players. He's the right man for the moment.

Leadership man, class. f***ing brilliant that.

Aye. Gerrard is many things, but he's not a bottler. He's risen to the occasion and dug us out of the s*** many times in the biggest games. Hopefully, that'll rub off on the other players. He's the right man for the moment.

Was excellent in the first half today. Disappeared in the second a bit unfortunately which let them get back into the game. Was all over the place in the first though :thup:

Leadership man, class. f***ing brilliant that.

Aye. Gerrard is many things, but he's not a bottler. He's risen to the occasion and dug us out of the s*** many times in the biggest games. Hopefully, that'll rub off on the other players. He's the right man for the moment.

Was excellent in the first half today. Disappeared in the second a bit unfortunately which let them get back into the game. Was all over the place in the first though :thup:

Captaincy is clearly not just an armband man; and today his leadership showed (1st half more-so) and that after match huddle was class. Takes me back to when I played growing up; few of us on the team shared captaincy and I miss those moments on the pitch.

Hopefully for the English on here, that sort of fire and leadership will take its way to Brazil.