The Liverpool Thread

Parky

More quotes:

1. ”It was a perfect away performance, apart from the first 10 minutes.”

2. “I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”

3. On Luis Suarez: “He is a real warrior of spirit.”

4. “My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence.”

5. “I am not a power freak.” (We think the lady doth protest too much!)

6. “I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.”

7. “When we have the football, everybody’s a player.”

8. “You train dogs, I like to educate players.”

9. ‘I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes.”

10.”I use a quote with the players,“Per aspera ad astra”, which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars’.”

11. “When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them.”

12. “Joe Allen is one of the most courageous players I’ve seen.

13. “I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless.”

14. “I always say a squad is like a good meal – I’m not a great cook but a good meal takes a wee bit of time, but also to offer a good meal you need good ingredients.”

15. “All I’ll ever do is all I’ve ever done in any job, and that’s promise to fight for my life for the people of the city.”

16. On the ‘Being: Liverpool’ documentary: “It was something I didn’t watch, and thankfully it’s over.”

17. “I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football.”

18. “I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence. SanToon, he just trips over the fence.”

19. “The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying.”

20. “We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.”

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/liverpool/157398/top-20-brilliantly-cringeworthy-brendan-rodgers-quotes.html

And that 79%:

“I think in terms of the tactical element of the game I’ve never been one… I don’t enjoy the percentage. There are some times you’ve got to kick it long, you’ve got to go that little bit longer. I’ve always enjoyed, I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football. So if you’re better than the other team with the ball you’ve got an 8 out of 10 chance, nearly, of winning the game. And that’s what that does, the ability to play out from behind."

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/09/transcript-the-brendan-rodgers-interview/

When reading those, Zap Brannagin's voice started in my head.

More quotes:

18. “I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence. SanToon, he just trips over the fence.”

Well played :lol:

:lol: damn you

That statement is 79% true tbf.

He's not quite on Pardew levels of guff, but 8/10 for pure profound waffle. Interesting to see how the media handle this after how much they stuck up for Pardew. Different kettle of fish when it's a media darling team struggling.

Nice work on the SanToon quote :thup:

More quotes:

But misleading. Looking backwards, you could say that most winning teams have also had most of the possession of the ball. It doesn't then follow that if you concentrate on keeping possession of the ball, you boost your chances of winning to the same extent.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

The problem with dropping Gerrard is what other options do they have? The DM/CM options are not exactly inspiring.

The biggest issue is the need to replace him was and has been completely ignored.

Can - Henderson with Lallana just ahead of them makes a lot more sense than the current version with both Gerard and Allen in it. It's still not a world class midfield or anywhere near it, but I bet it would be a damn sight more competitive, and a lot less static. Can may not yet be the finished article, but he comes from a solid technical background, and could easily hold his own in the league, playing the "easier" games.

Henderson's been hiding all season, last player I'd want in my team when the chips are down.

More quotes:

But misleading. Looking backwards, you could say that most winning teams have also had most of the possession of the ball. It doesn't then follow that if you concentrate on keeping possession of the ball, you boost your chances of winning to the same extent.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Aye it's a stupid stat. By that theory tapping the ball around between the keeper and your back four means you'll win 80% of games? Load of bollocks

Guest firetotheworks

That whole 'Lies, damned lies and statistics' isn't getting at all old like.

Just kidding, it's profoundly irritating.

He just sounds pretentious. We're used to Pardew, so most of that doesn't seem so bad, just profound guff.

This

not really, he said a lot of that when he was either getting started at liverpool or in charge of one of the most exciting teams the PL has seen (albeit for such a short period)

he's losing now so people are starting to pick him apart...i'd wager a lot of this comes from manyoo and everton fans who'll revel in it, perhaps those sackpardew fellas were mackems?

The problem with dropping Gerrard is what other options do they have? The DM/CM options are not exactly inspiring.

The biggest issue is the need to replace him was and has been completely ignored.

Can - Henderson with Lallana just ahead of them makes a lot more sense than the current version with both Gerard and Allen in it. It's still not a world class midfield or anywhere near it, but I bet it would be a damn sight more competitive, and a lot less static. Can may not yet be the finished article, but he comes from a solid technical background, and could easily hold his own in the league, playing the "easier" games.

Henderson's been hiding all season, last player I'd want in my team when the chips are down.

He's not a "baller" imo. No quality on the ball. His legwork is made redundant without movement and a CM partner that can't work. Whoever they play they do need to just go back to basics.

I agree to a certain extent. Most of the Liverpool players have been hiding this season to be fair though, and it starts with "Liverpool family captain big and fookin aard Steve Gerrard". As GC has mentioned, the fucker is completely shot to bits after last season and should be put out of his misery.

Carragher's comments the other day are pretty damning coming from one of their own.

I agree to a certain extent. Most of the Liverpool players have been hiding this season to be fair though, and it starts with "Liverpool family captain big and fookin aard Steve Gerrard". As GC has mentioned, the fucker is completely shot to bits after last season and should be put out of his misery.

Carragher's comments the other day are pretty damning coming from one of their own.

henderson's a funny one, in exchange with KI i put him on a level with colback earlier this season and said his game had been raised by playing in a better team...i subsequently saw henderson play a blinder and thought i was wrong...now i see henderson back in a shite mess of a team and i think i was right all along :lol:

not that i'm saying colback is great or anything, so we're all clear...henderson wash gash under dalglish, average 1st rodgers season at best, very good last season in an amazing attacking team, woeful in a woeful england team in the summer, and is now back to being average/anonymous with liverpool

could be coincidence but i doubt it very much

Guest firetotheworks

I thought he was absolutely fine for England in the World Cup. He did everything that you would expect from him and did it well, he was just the wrong type of player to use in the first place.

I thought he was absolutely fine for England in the World Cup. He did everything that you would expect from him and did it well, he was just the wrong type of player to use in the first place.

think the point is in a good team he can look good, in a shite team he's invariably shite...

Yeah, Henderson isn't a player to lift a team, more a player who performs comfortably when the team does.

:thup:

for a split second i thought i was wrong but now i don't think so....if colback had played in that liverpool team last season he'd have looked mint too and been in the world cup

Yeah, Henderson isn't a player to lift a team, more a player who performs comfortably when the team does.

for a split second i thought i was wrong but now i don't think so....if colback had played in that liverpool team last season he'd have looked mint too and been in the world cup

As fucking if you actually believe that :lol:

He may not be great but he's miles better than Colback.

As f***ing if you actually believe that :lol:

He may not be great but he's miles better than Colback.

A little bit better. Not miles.