The Liverpool Thread

Parky

The point has been lost in the ridiculous reaction to Alan Davies comments. Its not about whether Liverpool play on the date, fair enough that they dont, its whether other teams should be negatively affected, which Chelsea most certainly are having to play Barcelona only 48hrs after the FA cup semi.

That's what the majority of British media do, isn't it? (Though I think it's much the same everywhere.) Why bother with a reasoned debate around a valid point when there's some outrage to be drummed up?

And that is exactly what Alan Davies said, but yet again we get the plastic outrage and the total ignorance of the Scousers, most probably haven't even listened to what Alan actually said. Mind you, lets not let facts get in the way of another Scousers whingefest.

Not trying to justify the reaction, but it was never going to go down any other way, was it? Even the podcast host could see this coming as soon as Davies got started and tried to head him off.

The reason people like me and many others get pissed off with it all. Its the vitriol, aggression, arrogance and complete and utter loss of sanity and common sense from the scousers.

Bollocks to them if they cant accept a different view to theirs, leave them in their misery, they wallow in it, in fact i think they love to wallow in it.

Liverpudlians are rightfully incensed about Hillsborough on account of the coverup etc., and nearly 25 years later, are still being fed lies by the Establishment.

Why wasn't copper in charge on the day, who was directly responsible for causing the tragedy and subsequently tried to cover it up, ever punished? Why wasn't Kelvin MacKenzie ever done for libel? Why are mothers still being lied to about the deaths of their children?

On the other hand, Scousers don't half go over the top sometimes. Well, as often as not.

But as Alan pointed out, why should others be adversely affected by their stance.

A very important question, but one that's never going to be addressed while the media would rather bait the all-too-willing Scousers into going apeshit.

What often grates with me is the we-demand-sympathy-but-accept-no-responsibility attitude that is sadly too prevalent amongst our lot. We want the day off for a Hillsborough commemoration, but why not even an annual minute's silence for Heysel (with the exception of the CL tie against Juve in 2005)? I was sickened by some bloke on RAWK who had bunked into the CL final in Istanbul, stealing a seat from a fellow Red, but didn't see anything wrong with it because he'd been supporting the club since he was a kid.

And that is exactly what Alan Davies said, but yet again we get the plastic outrage and the total ignorance of the Scousers, most probably haven't even listened to what Alan actually said. Mind you, lets not let facts get in the way of another Scousers whingefest.

Not trying to justify the reaction, but it was never going to go down any other way, was it? Even the podcast host could see this coming as soon as Davies got started and tried to head him off.

Eh? Davies is the host.

And Ian Stone doesn't try to head him off at all, I laughed when I read that today, all he says is "too... sad a memories", he's clearly got humour in his voice.

"The King's Speech" fucking hell :lol:

You know they should care how he conducts himself because Liverpool football club carry a great deal of respect given their history and what they've achieved and Dalglish is just chipping away at that with this surely nonsense. You'd think that him of all people would be able to see that.

Dalglish may be a great bloke in private but when he is in front of the media, he is representing LFC and with each appearance, he is damaging their reputation further.

Sure, but like I said, Liverpool fans don't care one bit what other people think. Indeed, a lot of them prefer the them-vs-us siege mentality that currently prevails.

Ferguson can be difficult but you do see him have a laugh and a joke sometimes and I don't recall him ever behaving as boorishly as Dalglish has done.

He's not as bad as Dalglish, but I don't think he's ever had such a bad spell as Kenny has been having ...

Eh? Davies is the host.

And Ian Stone doesn't try to head him off at all, I laughed when I read that today, all he says is "too... sad a memories", he's clearly got humour in his voice.

Right, sorry. I got the wrong end of the stick. I don't listen to the podcast regularly, and only heard the relevant clip.

I stand corrected.

Wacko, do you know if there's ever been a situation where UEFA have moved a fixture because of this necessity of Liverpool's? Suppose there's only been two or three years since 1989 where you've still been around at that stage, I find it highly unlikely that UEFA would move things around, they're notoriously fussy about everything being the way they want it.

If Hillsborough had happened in May, presumably Liverpool would be prepared in future to forfeit a Champions League final or an FA Cup final, dates that are set in stone. Aye right, I'm sure they would.

Yup, there has.

The CL quarter final against Chelsea in 2009 was due for 14th/15th April. UEFA wouldn't absolutely guarantee that we wouldn't have to play on 15th, but apparently they tweaked their algorithm so it wouldn't be drawn that way. At any rate, the game was on the 14th. Which was nice of them, considering Platini was in charge.

I don't think for a second that we wouldn't play on the 15th if UEFA said we had to. There'd be a lot of whining, of course, but when isn't there?

Can't believe I have to root for these cunts this weekend. Feels like that 'Dump cargo/obey bad guy' button scene in the Simpsons.

:) Why not have faith in your own team and root for Everton?

Can't believe I have to root for these cunts this weekend. Feels like that 'Dump cargo/obey bad guy' button scene in the Simpsons.

because we're nufc fans its ingrained not to have faith in our own team, its a hard habit to break

Yup, there has.

The CL quarter final against Chelsea in 2009 was due for 14th/15th April. UEFA wouldn't absolutely guarantee that we wouldn't have to play on 15th, but apparently they tweaked their algorithm so it wouldn't be drawn that way. At any rate, the game was on the 14th. Which was nice of them, considering Platini was in charge.

I don't think for a second that we wouldn't play on the 15th if UEFA said we had to. There'd be a lot of whining, of course, but when isn't there?

Aye I just checked that cos I remembered listening to that game and 5Live was wall-to-wall Hillsborough as it was the 20th anniversary, knew it was at least close, tbh I didn't even know Liverpool "don't" play on the 15th until now. As you say though, that would play if they had to, which makes the whole argument of it being a matter of principle look stupid. They don't play on the 15th because it is possible not to.

Just came across comments from Dalglish blaming the fixture schedule for his team's dismal showing against Wigan:

"If you play Sunday-­Wednesday-Saturday, it is going to take its toll and a lot of the lads have played three games."

More than happy to force Chelsea to do it though in three massive games.

because we're nufc fans its ingrained not to have faith in our own team, its a hard habit to break

Oh, I know the feeling well.

Still, I'm tipping youse lot for the CL.

Yup, there has.

Aye I just checked that cos I remembered listening to that game and 5Live was wall-to-wall Hillsborough as it was the 20th anniversary, knew it was at least close, tbh I didn't even know Liverpool "don't" play on the 15th until now. As you say though, that would play if they had to, which makes the whole argument of it being a matter of principle look stupid. They don't play on the 15th because it is possible not to.

Just came across comments from Dalglish blaming the fixture schedule for his team's dismal showing against Wigan:

"If you play Sunday-­Wednesday-Saturday, it is going to take its toll and a lot of the lads have played three games."

Sure. I mean, it's Chelsea. Fuck them. Bonus if you ask me. Absolutely no love lost between LFC and CFC.

Principles are lovely things to have as long as you can afford to.

Yup, there has.

Sure. I mean, it's Chelsea. Fuck them. Bonus if you ask me. Absolutely no love lost between LFC and CFC.

Principles are lovely things to have as long as you can afford to.

Aye, got to say i couldn't care less if Chelsea have to play more games. Tough Shit. We also need them to get knocked out of the competition for our own qualification hopes, but they probably would've anyway.

Guest bimpy474

The point has been lost in the ridiculous reaction to Alan Davies comments. Its not about whether Liverpool play on the date, fair enough that they dont, its whether other teams should be negatively affected, which Chelsea most certainly are having to play Barcelona only 48hrs after the FA cup semi.

That's what the majority of British media do, isn't it? (Though I think it's much the same everywhere.) Why bother with a reasoned debate around a valid point when there's some outrage to be drummed up?

The reason people like me and many others get pissed off with it all. Its the vitriol, aggression, arrogance and complete and utter loss of sanity and common sense from the scousers.

Bollocks to them if they cant accept a different view to theirs, leave them in their misery, they wallow in it, in fact i think they love to wallow in it.

Liverpudlians are rightfully incensed about Hillsborough on account of the coverup etc., and nearly 25 years later, are still being fed lies by the Establishment.

Why wasn't copper in charge on the day, who was directly responsible for causing the tragedy and subsequently tried to cover it up, ever punished? Why wasn't Kelvin MacKenzie ever done for libel? Why are mothers still being lied to about the deaths of their children?

On the other hand, Scousers don't half go over the top sometimes. Well, as often as not.

But as Alan pointed out, why should others be adversely affected by their stance.

A very important question, but one that's never going to be addressed while the media would rather bait the all-too-willing Scousers into going apeshit.

What often grates with me is the we-demand-sympathy-but-accept-no-responsibility attitude that is sadly too prevalent amongst our lot. We want the day off for a Hillsborough commemoration, but why not even an annual minute's silence for Heysel (with the exception of the CL tie against Juve in 2005)? I was sickened by some bloke on RAWK who had bunked into the CL final in Istanbul, stealing a seat from a fellow Red, but didn't see anything wrong with it because he'd been supporting the club since he was a kid.

You made very good and fantastic points mate, now i was going to go through them one by one but then i realised that the one answer for nearly all the points you made was "because we are scousers".

What happened at the Semi will live forever, it was horrible and should never be forgotten. Its slowly with LFC efforts thrown in, turning into a something a majority of people from outside looking in think, Get over it". Now thats is not how it should be but the self styled city of self pity is doing itself no favours.

And as the Scouser i work with said, (actually found out a couple of weeks ago he is marrying my brothers ex-wife, small world) if the results of the Hillsborough disaster/released unredacted papers inquiry go against what the relatives think, if it blames both Liverpool fans and the police then all hell will break loose. They just wont accept any blame whatsoever.

What did Davies say that has pissed off Liverpool fans so much? From what i saw he hit the nail on the head.

If he'd had any balls he would have stuck by his words and certainly not donated money. Liverpool fans need to get a fucking grip. It's more of a cult than a football club.

You made very good and fantastic points mate, now i was going to go through them one by one but then i realised that the one answer for nearly all the points you made was "because we are scousers".

In a nutshell, yeah. To be clear, I'm not trying to justify anything by that. But that's pretty much the reason. Because Scousers are Scousers.

What happened at the Semi will live forever, it was horrible and should never be forgotten. Its slowly with LFC efforts thrown in, turning into a something a majority of people from outside looking in think, Get over it". Now thats is not how it should be but the self styled city of self pity is doing itself no favors.

Agreed.

And as the Scouser i work with said, (actually found out a couple of weeks ago he is marrying my brothers ex-wife, small world) if the results of the Hillsborough disaster/released unredacted papers inquiry go against what the relatives think, if it blames both Liverpool fans and the police then all hell will break loose. They just wont accept any blame whatsoever.

Spot on. Hence my closing "we-demand-sympathy-but-accept-no-responsibility" comment.

That said, it's not really a question of who was to blame or what happened (this is already known), but to have that confirmed by the Establishment. For all the bleating coming from Merseyside, I think it's impossible not to feel for a mother like this who just wants closure over the death of her son.

Guest bimpy474

To Wacko ;)

Totally agree with that last point mate, you can only feel sympathy and as a parent you would want closure, and i hope she gets it, genuine when i say that too.

By the way i knew you weren't trying to justify anything, good poster you are imo mate ;)

Guest Howaythetoon

To be fair, I don't think I could be arsed with football on the aniversary of such a dreadful day if it involved us to be honest so I can see why Liverpool fans would want nowt to do with football on such a day. That said the OTT reaction ot Davies' comments is embarrassing and does them or their worthwhile cause no justice whatsover. Fucking hell it was only a few years back, when they appointed Rafa and we appointed Souness, that I held them up as the kind of club we should be looking at not to emulate exactly but to look up to. Now they are an utter embarrassment and a genuine laughing stock, from the players to the manager all the way to fans, easily the most hated side/set of fans in our game and easily the biggest joke at the moment. Liverpool is such a great club too with decent fans in the main and a decent city to boot. Now I cannot stand them and probably hate them more than I hate the mackems which is sad really because they ought to be an irrelavance to us.

Guest Howaythetoon

Cheers lads :)

Love talking with you guys.

@HTT: No arguing with a word of that.

My dad and all my uncles are die hard Toon fans but grew up watching your lot dominate at home and abroad and so when I got into football it was always "Liverpool this, Liverpool that" from the pass and move game to your greats like Souness and Dalglish. It seemed from my dad and co that Liverpool were the kind of club Nufc could be one day or should try to become so it saddens me in part to now look at Liverpool as a joke club, especially when they are clearly not. I cheered your lot on against AC Milan in Istanbul but now I cheer your defeats.

Guest bimpy474

Cheers lads :)

Love talking with you guys.

@HTT: No arguing with a word of that.

:thup:

Didn't mean you, you massive spanner :D