The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Doubt they've got owt to spend anyway. Also dogleash is in full charge of transfers so he reckons, I really really hope so. Best news I can here in the summer is LFC dishing out a nice 5 year deal for mad ken.

Can you imagine Carr trying to advise Kenny

Carr: "I've found this young creative french midfield named Ben Arfa get him at all costs."

Kenny: "Ben Arfa is that spelt C.A.T.T.S F.O.R.M.E.L.I.K.E?

Carr:  :facepalm:

Liverpool target Johan Cruyff for senior role

By Ben Smith BBC Sport

Johan Cruyff is among the names being targeted by Liverpool after Damien Comolli's departure as director of football, BBC Sport understands.

Reds owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) have yet to draw up a definitive shortlist to replace Comolli.

But the Dutchman, 64, has impressed FSG chief John W Henry in his senior roles with Ajax and Chivas in Mexico.

It remains to be seen if Cruyff, who currently manages the Catalan national side, would be open to the approach.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

So they can teach HIM the LIVERPOOL WAY.

"Forget that Total Football Bollocks, ya Dutch Bastard."

Guest dogbeak

on the minuscule off-chance that it ever came to pass, cruyff being dalglish's boss would make the last few years look like smooth sailing.

By Ben Smith BBC Sport

Johan Cruyff is among the names being targeted by Liverpool after Damien Comolli's departure as director of football, BBC Sport understands.

Reds owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) have yet to draw up a definitive shortlist to replace Comolli.

But the Dutchman, 64, has impressed FSG chief John W Henry in his senior roles with Ajax and Chivas in Mexico.

It remains to be seen if Cruyff, who currently manages the Catalan national side, would be open to the approach.

I dont like the sound of that, Cruyff is a very smart man and pretty much the reason Barca are where they are today.

If Liverpool got him as a DOF i wouldnt be suprised if hes a success.

Guest Craig-NUFC

I'd give Cruyff a season at the most.

No chance his and Dalglish's egos could live together, and if they did come to heads, there's no chance of Liverpool fans siding with Cruyff.

Guest elbee909

KD:

"Everyone who has come into the club since Damien has been here was of my choice."

"Once I made the choice who I wanted, Damien went away and did a fantastic job of bringing them in."

Everyone's to blame!

I'd give Cruyff a season at the most.

No chance his and Dalglish's egos could live together, and if they did come to heads, there's no chance of Liverpool fans siding with Cruyff.

That's true it would be worse than Cruyff and Van Gaal  :laugh:

I think there are parallels here with Ashley. In both cases the new owners had to hit the ground running, but were inexperienced in running a major football club, and made mistakes as a result.

However, whereas Ashley got to grips with the task over time and formed a coherent strategy, I don't get the impression that the Fenway group are any further on. There are cultural as well as practical differences between running an English football club and running an American baseball team. Inevitably, the learning curve for the Americans was always going to be a longer one. They're making these confident pronoucements, but I don't think they know what they're doing and deep down they're probably wondering what they've let themselves in for.

The Chairman, Tom Werner, gives the impression of being a spectator rather than a leader.

By Ben Smith BBC Sport

I dont like the sound of that, Cruyff is a very smart man and pretty much the reason Barca are where they are today.

For Cruyff to do at Liverpool what he did with Barcelona, he would need to be there a long time, and even then, it would take Liverpool a good 10 years or so to start reaping the rewards. Cruyff is a club philosophy guru rather than a cosmetic director. Cruyff and Dalglish can work together as long as their remits are totally separate, and FSG decide they can afford to continue struggling for the next few years.

By Ben Smith BBC Sport

For Cruyff to do at Liverpool what he did with Barcelona, he would need to be there a long time, and even then, it would take Liverpool a good 10 years or so to start reaping the rewards. Cruyff is a club philosophy guru rather than a cosmetic director. Cruyff and Dalglish can work together as long as their remits are totally separate, and FSG decide they can afford to continue struggling for the next few years.

As I understand it, there's been lots of conflict at Ajax centring around Cruyff's involvement.

He's a very bright guy with a forceful personality and strong views. He showed that as manager of Barca. He really needs to be the leader but he doesn't want the stress and strain of management at a major club any more. However, that probably makes him too powerful a figure for a background role.

By Ben Smith BBC Sport

I am not saying he would do what he did with Barca, iam saying if he is allowed he can be a success.

But that seems very unlikely considering Dalglish is there and two huge ego-maniac's in the same club is a recipe for disaster.

Guest Craig-NUFC

In regards to Ajax, didn't he object Van Gaal being there, took Ajax to court, won the case to get Van Gaal sacked and then quit himself anyway

Just found out he's now at Chivas Guadalajara as an 'advisor' but is pretty much responsible for everything to do with the club.

By Ben Smith BBC Sport

He's also a maniac.

I think there are parallels here with Ashley. In both cases the new owners had to hit the ground running, but were inexperienced in running a major football club, and made mistakes as a result.

However, whereas Ashley got to grips with the task over time and formed a coherent strategy, I don't get the impression that the Fenway group are any further on. There are cultural as well as practical differences between running an English football club and running an American baseball team. Inevitably, the learning curve for the Americans was always going to be a longer one. They're making these confident pronoucements, but I don't think they know what they're doing and deep down they're probably wondering what they've let themselves in for.

The Chairman, Tom Werner, gives the impression of being a spectator rather than a leader.

Running a chain of sports shops is closer to running a football club than running a baseball club is?

There are cultural as well as practical differences between running an English football club and running an American baseball team. Inevitably, the learning curve for the Americans was always going to be a longer one.

That is true, but there is an easy answer to that - you appoint people who do know what they're doing to run the club day to day.