The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Even if he isn't hugely successful, it's just the joy they'll get of following a team with a manager who approaches football like that. Massively jealous.

Yup. Jol was kinda like that in a different way - the stuff on the pitch was fine, but just the way he approached the media and life in general left me feeling proud of him. It's great to be proud of your manager.

Guest firetotheworks

A lot of mentions around Gegenpressing in the media this week. Must all be cunts init?

The media? Cunts? Eh...aye.

I don't think the argument here was that gegenpressing doesn't exist, it was that it's indistinguishable from what is widely known as 'counter-pressing' or, colloquially, just 'pressing.'

Oh gosh, what have I done.

Warning - this is a hugely long read, but quite a good one - http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/oct/22/manchester-united-liverpool-class-of-92-spice-boys-eric-cantona

Quite a few interesting points in it, but certainly made me think about the Liverpool team of the mid-90s and, in particular, Robbie Fowler.  I always thought he seemed to enjoy a reputation that exceeded his actual ability and achievements, but if you look at his career stats, his career was pretty much on a downward slide after 6 seasons.

I've never seen this Google Trends business, pretty awesome tool.

I'm pretty sure gegenpressing is more specialized and related to footie, whereas 'counter pressing' is far more general (and they're two words), so I have no idea if you can compare the two as if we're comparing apples to apples using this tool. But hey, as I said, nobody was disputing the existence of the word. I personally have just heard 'football experts' and commentators use 'pressing,' or 'tactical pressing' or 'counter-pressing' way more on telly and in print than gegenpressing, but that could just be anecdotal.