The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Guest firetotheworks

KI - in denial about the facts. If counter pressing was a common phrase, Google wouldn't lie

https://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=gegenpressing%2C%20%22counter%20pressing%22%2C%20%22counter%20attack%22%2C%20tiki%20taka&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT-1

Here's another. Counter attacking has slowly been used more over the last 8 years. The Tiki Taka lines up pretty perfectly with people's understanding of the phrase.

'The facts.' [emoji38] The point stands, people generally search for things that they don't know about. Tika Taka's a real thing that people didn't know about. Gegenpressing is something that people don't know about because it's a made up, wanky name for counter-pressing.

But nobody actually says counter pressing

Over the last 5 years you would hear either counter-pressing or high-pressing all the time in Barca/Dortmund/Bayern matches like.

No you wouldn't. If that was the case - more people would search it. If what you're saying is true Tiki Taka would've dropped ages ago and counter attack would be at zero.

You're wrong. I'm right. Deal with it bro.

More people would search for a self describing term? I don't know where you get this idea that people searching for things means something. People didn't know what tika taka was so they searched for it. People know what counter-pressing or high pressing is so they don't. It's very simple.

Your tika taka and counter attack bits make no sense. Counter attack isn't specifically a football thing, nor specifically a sport thing for that matter. Tika taka is still a relatively new phrase and has peaked.

You do realise you're like the worst poster on N-O and that everyone thinks you're a gimp, right?

Guest firetotheworks

Counter pressing sounds shit. I don't want to appear siding with TCD though, so I will say I did hear about counter pressing before the gegenpressing wankfest started, even if it sounds shit.

That's all very well but could you not have said that all in one gif? :wink:

Counter pressing sounds shit. I don't want to appear siding with TCD though, so I will say I did hear about counter pressing before the gegenpressing wankfest started, even if it sounds shit.

That's all very well but could you not have said that all in one gif? :wink:

:lol: Wouldn't suspect you to get that crazy about my posting of Vikings quotes in the god thread.

Also, went through my posts. Of my last 500 only 10 included a gif. Fuck outta here. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Warning - this is a hugely long read, but quite a good one - http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/oct/22/manchester-united-liverpool-class-of-92-spice-boys-eric-cantona

Quite a few interesting points in it, but certainly made me think about the Liverpool team of the mid-90s and, in particular, Robbie Fowler.  I always thought he seemed to enjoy a reputation that exceeded his actual ability and achievements, but if you look at his career stats, his career was pretty much on a downward slide after 6 seasons.

Thanks for sharing, great article and a great period of our game and my life. The 90s man... happy days as a kids, in life and with Newcastle!

Fowler, for me, was and remains so, the most exciting English footballer we've produced since Gazza. His talent was immense and he was arguably underrated. He was scoring 30 goals a season as a 20 year old kid and could finish regardless. Owen was electric when he came onto the scene, but Fowler was a much better player.

KK called him a phenomenon when he managed him for the England under 21s and later went on to say he had the ability to be the very best in the world and he did for me. Ask any Liverpool fan who excited them most and he will be high on the list. He was lethal and such a pest, because he ran and worked none stop.

Liverpool were a very good side at the time, similar to us, a much better footballing side than Man Utd, but like us they lacked the mental strength and maybe bottle to win a title.

Them were the days like, exciting attacking football, good homest rivalries, lots of teams capable of winning and competing and a huge buzz all around the country. New Labour, Cool Britannia, Brit Pop, British filsm, Trainspotting etc. Just an epic time to be alive, especially if you were a teenager like me.

KK called him a phenomenon when he managed him for the England under 21s

:dowie:

Gazza used the same word in adjective form 92 times when describing his all time England XI.

Wouldn't think it counts for much tbh.

Someone at work last night whos a Liverpool fan and who knows his stuff, said he hates Klopp and would rather a British manager like "Big Sam, Redknapp or even Dalgleish again, someone who knows the premier league" :lol: