Midfielders by ability

Tiote

Barton

Cabaye

Abeid

Guthrie

Vuckic

Smith

Personally because of age and capacity to improve Guthrie and smith should be vulnerable

From what I've seen

Cabaye will become our best central midfielder.

Can't wait to see him play, he's an outstanding footballer.

Danny Guthrie needs a heart more than the bloody Tin Man. He did very well in the Championship, for a winning side. When the going gets tough, he becomes anonymous. The only time I can remember him truly raising his game to superior midfield opponents was the 0-0 Man United home game. That's all.

Like Lovenkrands, he's okay to have around when you play the bottom six teams in the league.

That list just confirms that we shouldn't even give Smith a place in the 25, we've got more than enough cover in the middle of the park. I've got high hopes for Cabaye despite not actually seeing much of him. Reading the opinions of lots of people he seems to be an absolute gem and will dovetail with Tiote nicely. :)

Tiote's going to miss a chunk of the season (4 games in total, 3 of them away...) and we'll need someone to come in and be a bit of a destroyer. It might not be his natural game but Gosling might need to do the job.

That list just confirms that we shouldn't even give Smith a place in the 25, we've got more than enough cover in the middle of the park. I've got high hopes for Cabaye despite not actually seeing much of him. Reading the opinions of lots of people he seems to be an absolute gem and will dovetail with Tiote nicely. :)

Tiote's going to miss a chunk of the season (4 games in total, 3 of them away...) and we'll need someone to come in and be a bit of a destroyer. It might not be his natural game but Gosling might need to do the job.

4 + an inevitable 3 or 4 more through suspension.

Despite not seeing much of Cabaye, from the sounds of it he's exactly the type of player that I love, so I'm very excited about seeing him alongside Tiote. Abeid will have a part to play as back up for the first team this season as well, I've only seen a limited amount of him but he's a clear improvement on Guthrie.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic that having an effective partner (Cabaye) next to him should mean he picks up less silly bookings. Nolan, for all the goals he scored, was pretty anonymous in loads of games in general play which meant Tiote was in the middle of the park without too much support.

We'll see.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic that having an effective partner (Cabaye) next to him should mean he picks up less silly bookings. Nolan, for all the goals he scored, was pretty anonymous in loads of games in general play which meant Tiote was in the middle of the park without too much support.

We'll see.

Aye, Tiote was doing the work of 2 CMs last season, given Cabaye isn't a statue and is capable of movement, Tiote's workload should decrease which hopefully will result in fewer bookings.

Guthrie has gotten a pretty hard deal ever since his abortion of a performance at The Hawthorns. He's shown in the past (and at times last season) that he's more than capable back-up

Superb Cross Field Ball for Captain Colo to score against Spurs.

Guthrie is a decent player but it only shows when he's playing next to someone like Tiote. Against Villa away partnered with Colo our midfield was shite, against Man United at Home our midfield played pretty well and a lot of that was down to Guthrie's distribution and the fact Tiote was destroying anyone that came near him.

His days may well be numbered here because of the likes of Gosling, Vuckic and Abeid but at the very least he doesn't deserve the dishonour of being mentioned in the same breath as Smith.

We'll see.

Aye, Tiote was doing the work of 2 CMs last season, given Cabaye isn't a statue and is capable of movement, Tiote's workload should decrease which hopefully will result in fewer bookings.

Possibly due to the fact that Nolan was doing the work of two strikers for a large chunk of the season.

We'll see.

Possibly due to the fact that Nolan was doing the work of two strikers for a large chunk of the season.

He wasn't. Nolan was a very good player for us last season, despite his lack of mobility, but that is a stupid statement.

We'll see.

He wasn't. Nolan was a very good player for us last season, despite his lack of mobility, but that is a stupid statement.

He's scored 31 goals in the past two seasons. I reckon that papers over the cracks massively in our forward line.

We'll see.

However, Nolan did spend a lot of time trying to calm Tiote down.  Nolan was dreadful at Blackpool but Tiote was very confrontational that day probably borne from frustration because we were poor but it was Nolan who had to keep dragging him away and trying to calm him down otherwise he would have been sent off.

Nolan was scoring the goals of two strikers, but he certainly wasn't doing the work of two :lol:

Nolan scored 4 goals after Christmas, hardly the goals of two strikers.

:lol: Clueless. How many did he score in the last 6 months of the season? He didn't do the work of two strikers at all, man.

31 goals in 2 years is a phenominal amount for a central midfielder, agreed?

It's very good, yes. However, he did not cover the work of two strikers :lol: Not even sure why I'm humouring you with a response really, this discussion is clearly going to go nowhere.

:lol: Clueless. How many did he score in the last 6 months of the season? He didn't do the work of two strikers at all, man.

31 goals in 2 years is a phenominal amount for a central midfielder, agreed?

No, it isn't. It's a very good return, which virtually evaporated when a genuinely good striker wasn't there help him. If only he had more to his game.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

If Nolan destroys the Championship with West Ham this season, I might start to believe he was as good as some people thought he was.

If Nolan destroys the Championship with West Ham this season, I might start to believe he was as good as some people thought he was.

He'll score around 10ish imo. Won't set the place alight by any means though.

Has a very bright future ahead of him, we may have last him for a full season but what a deal we got, massive fk up by Everton :lol:

He will not to start a lot of games if we manage to keep a fit squad, but him & Harris both will be huge for us in the coming seasons.